Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #81
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Generally the plans from the Big 3 still do not include call display in there offer ($7) and have other fees tacked on. 3.95 system access, 911 etc. so the real cost of any of those plans is always at least $10 more than the advertized cost

This pushes the $60 dollar rogers plan over 70 and into the almost double category.
I'm on the 6GB plan and don't have any of those costs and have call display.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #82
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

So those of you on Wind right now... how are the roaming rates like on average. Do you find yourself having fairly substantial charges because you are on the edge of the city, etc?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #83
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in bridlewood and havent had any roaming charges 2 months in. I leave data roaming turned off though and only once lost data connectivity for a few minutes when it jumped networks for some reason. I am quite happy two months in
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #84
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
I'm on the 6GB plan and don't have any of those costs and have call display.
Did you negotiate it or is that the latest offer that just came out.

Is your actual bill total 60 plus tax now? 2 months ago when I was looking the best you could with the big 3 without negotiating was about 70 plus taxes and fees
Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #85
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is your actual bill total 60 plus tax now? 2 months ago when I was looking the best you could with the big 3 without negotiating was about 70 plus taxes and fees
AFAIK, that should be negotiated. The newer, expired 6GB plan sits at $63 with the fees incorporated into the plan, with an extra $12 being the cid/vm bundle.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #86
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Basically had everything the 6GB plan had except for the 6GB. Called and got that added and all is the same except for the extra bandwidth. Sometimes you have to negotiate a little but people shouldn't say you can't get it because if you ask, many times you can get what you need for a fair price.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #87
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Basically had everything the 6GB plan had except for the 6GB. Called and got that added and all is the same except for the extra bandwidth. Sometimes you have to negotiate a little but people shouldn't say you can't get it because if you ask, many times you can get what you need for a fair price.
Part of my issue with the Big 3, Shaw, etc is the whole threaten to quit, spend an hour talking to someone, get a better deal, repeat process one year later. I much perfer not having to fight. But that $63 deal is pretty impressive.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #88
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I ended up going with wind and couldn't be happier. I received my first two bills and they are $42 just like they said. No extra or hidden charges.

I've used wind in every corner of Calgary and haven't had any issues. I've tried it all over Vancouver and hadn't had one issue. I get a weak signal in east copperfield and west royal oak, but it still works. Plus their coverge is getting better and better.

My friend tried calling using his rogers phone from Parkland in Calgary and had no reception. We had to use my wind phone.

I made long distance calls from Vancouver, used the internet like crazy which should all be roaming and yet my bill is still $42. Yet everybody else didn't want to use there cell because of roaming charges on their provider. Good thing i had wind to look up pubs and restaurants.

Speeds? On wind i get 5mbps. A quick rogers test in the same area gave 4.2mbps.

$42 for unlimited canada wide calling, texting and data plus caller i.d. and no roaming in any major canadian city. The best part is, i don't have to call rogers every month to ask them what all these extra charges are for.

The one downfall is that you are roaming in Okotoks and Airdrie. If i have to though, 20 cents a minute is fine for a quick call. I suppose i could pay $70 a month with rogers to have reception in airdrie or okotoks but if i have a choice i'd rather not.

This could be the best cell phone desision i ever made.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #89
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^ oh and i forgot to add i'm not even in a contract. Wind is also partially paying for my phone each month. After two years it's mine.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #90
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

A co worker of mine just signed up on the $60 rogers plan. I don't know how he could have gotten his bill so soon but i heard him complaining about an extra $24 charge when everything was suppose to be included.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #91
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Thanks everyone for all your replies. I ended up going with wind and couldn't be happier. I received my first two bills and they are $42 just like they said. No extra or hidden charges.

I've used wind in every corner of Calgary and haven't had any issues. I've tried it all over Vancouver and hadn't had one issue. I get a weak signal in east copperfield and west royal oak, but it still works. Plus their coverge is getting better and better.

My friend tried calling using his rogers phone from Parkland in Calgary and had no reception. We had to use my wind phone.

I made long distance calls from Vancouver, used the internet like crazy which should all be roaming and yet my bill is still $42. Yet everybody else didn't want to use there cell because of roaming charges on their provider. Good thing i had wind to look up pubs and restaurants.

Speeds? On wind i get 5mbps. A quick rogers test in the same area gave 4.2mbps.

$42 for unlimited canada wide calling, texting and data plus caller i.d. and no roaming in any major canadian city. The best part is, i don't have to call rogers every month to ask them what all these extra charges are for.

The one downfall is that you are roaming in Okotoks and Airdrie. If i have to though, 20 cents a minute is fine for a quick call. I suppose i could pay $70 a month with rogers to have reception in airdrie or okotoks but if i have a choice i'd rather not.

This could be the best cell phone desision i ever made.
$40 dollar plan gives you free roaming in wind zones i think
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #92
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
A co worker of mine just signed up on the $60 rogers plan. I don't know how he could have gotten his bill so soon but i heard him complaining about an extra $24 charge when everything was suppose to be included.
maybe it's the services he got before his first billing cycle?
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #93
seattleflamer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really hope they succeed and more people sign up. My Winnipeg relatives were shocked about the price and what was included when they were in Vancouver and are hoping to see it in the Peg this year.

It really is the best monthly cell deal in North America imho.
seattleflamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #94
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by secol View Post
$40 dollar plan gives you free roaming in wind zones i think
That's what i meant. I was trying not to be wordy.

So, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa and the entire GTA. I'm guessing Montreal and Winnipeg would be next.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #95
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
And did you sign a contract for that pleasure?
Nope I did not I was already with rogers.

All I did was called up and said cancel at the voice prompt. These deals have to go through retentions because they are the ones that can actually do something.

I told her why I was leaving and mentioned other deals that had unlimited minutes. She gave me one and gave me free voicemail call display and call forward so the price would match. On top of that I got 6bd data with a $10 off credit as well bringing my total to $60 plus tax a month.
Its not a one time deal either I got it for my wife, several of my friends and my parents just by making a single call.

Last edited by Diemenz; 08-11-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Added picture of bill
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #96
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^ Wireless usage is picture messages. Those are not covered under my plan.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #97
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm guessing Montreal and Winnipeg would be next.
Not Montreal. Videotron is the AWS rights holder in QC. Wind won't ever move into Montreal; Wind and Mobilicity's footprint in Quebec is limited to Gatineau. My brother lives right next to one of their transmitter towers in Gatineau.

Oddly enough Videotron isn't all that competitive in Quebec. I am not sure why.

Wind's already expanded outside the GTA in Ontario - Kingston, Barrie, London, Niagara are all on, next is apparently Belleville, Peterborough, and Windsor. Winnipeg and Victoria have towers up, should be available soon.

The only place I seem to go and have zero coverage is Saskatoon. That being said, I agree with the poster above that paying 20 cents a min is similar to the paygo phone my wife and I were using before Wind. My wife is on Rogers because she needed consistent coverage and signed a contract before Wind came along. I'm trying to convince her to switch, tough sell though. I have a "better" value on my $40 HMP than she gets for $100.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #98
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Nope I did not I was already with rogers.

All I did was called up and said cancel at the voice prompt. These deals have to go through retentions because they are the ones that can actually do something.

I told her why I was leaving and mentioned other deals that had unlimited minutes. She gave me one and gave me free voicemail call display and call forward so the price would match. On top of that I got 6bd data with a $10 off credit as well bringing my total to $60 plus tax a month.
Its not a one time deal either I got it for my wife, several of my friends and my parents just by making a single call.

Which in my opinion is complete crap and another reason to move away from the Rogers, Telus, Bell - transparency. If they are able to offer these deals, why don't they offer them?

It is a bullcrap model for the consumers to have to jump through hoops in order to get reasonable rates. I prefer the transparency of wind and knowing that I am not getting screwed because I did not whine/bitch/complain enough.
SeoulFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #99
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeoulFire View Post
Which in my opinion is complete crap and another reason to move away from the Rogers, Telus, Bell - transparency. If they are able to offer these deals, why don't they offer them?

It is a bullcrap model for the consumers to have to jump through hoops in order to get reasonable rates. I prefer the transparency of wind and knowing that I am not getting screwed because I did not whine/bitch/complain enough.
I just called in and said cancel. No whining/bitching/complaining happened. I just informed them of a better deal and I was leaving for it.

It's like buying a car, you can pay the sticker or you can shop around and let the dealership know of other deals.

On a side note wind will also change their prices when you mention to them competitor pricing, so I guess they are bullcrap too.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #100
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wind looks good "on paper" however, was brutal!

I've experience Wind in Calgary and Edmonton,

Wind's coverage in Calgary is decent if you spend much of your time well within the city limits, when you're "Wind Home" it is very affordable with decent service. However, Wind's zone only extends as North as Country Hills Blvd consistantly. Cross Iron Mills mall, is outside of the Wind Zone which makes it very annoying if you're a fringe calgarian. However, when you're somewhere within the city that is "Wind Away" aka places that have rough cell reception in the first place, Wind can get EXPENSIVE! I had problems getting coverage inside the Saddledome, some malls,rec centre's (Westside Rec Centre) costcos, superstores etc.

In Edmonton, I had a basement suite and had ZERO Coverage in my own place in the heart of Edmonton (right by commonwealth). It was horrid! Very similar problems as well for locations, I'd be roaming while on the U of A campus depending on the building I was in.

When I got my first teaching job outside of Edmonton in Tofield, it was even worse. It was like I didnt even own a cell phone because it was soo freakin expensive to make calls or receiving emails outside of the "Wind zone"

I would only reccommend Wind if you NEVER leave the city, and are rarely in "thicked walled bulidings".

I have since switched to Koodo and now Bell (because of their great version of the 6GB plan Rogers had)

Last edited by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM; 08-11-2012 at 04:17 PM.
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote