Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #101
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aww not this thread again! Haha..

Has anyone had the chance to try these:
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-550.php ?

They look great and I may need to replace my k240s's eventually.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #102
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
I had a pair of Shure E3Cs given to me as a gift. Of the tips I tried, these were the best...

...but they hurt after less than an hour. I could never get the foam tips or large flange tips inserted properly, and the medium flange tips would never stay sealed. Maybe I have very dainty ear canals?

So because of my poor fitting experience with the Shure's I'm hesitant to spend the bucks on another set of IEMs, and also why I'm interested in the custom approach.
I have small ear canals too. I got the small rubber tips for my Shures and they fit perfectly.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #103
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I'm going to be going travelling next month and I'd like a pair of headphones. I've got some in-ear ones that are great for the gym but I think on plane and train rides they may get bothersome. What I'm looking over is some over the ear phones that aren't too expensive and would be great for playing games on the iPad and just listening to music at work. I'm thinking more along the lines of $50-$80 rather than $300 Dr Dre type headphones. Folding/collapsible would be a plus.
Anyone?
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #104
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone?
These fit your criteria and are supposed to sound decent.

http://uk.akg.com/product-detail-2821/k403blk.html

Future Shop has them for $70.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #105
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone?
All I can recommend is to look at used sets. You won't find too many decent sets under $80.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #106
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can anyone recommend some IR headphones to use while running on a treadmill? I want to avoid anything too bulky or heavy but that seems to be the majority.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #107
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Visions has the Monster Miles Davis Trumpet IEMs (with ControlTalk) on sale for $98 today (down from $399). Not to overstate it, but this is the best deal you have ever seen on IEMs.

Still breaking mine in but they're outstanding so far. I've got a pair of Monster Turbine Pro Coppers as well but they're out on warranty so I can't do a side-by-side. First impressions are that the Trumpets really nail the vocals but don't have the silky smooth treble of the Coppers. The Trumpets are a tad bright still but have already improved with about 20 hours of break-in - I'll be interested to see how they sound after 50 or so.

Basically if you ever use headphones and don't refuse to use IEMs you should stop what you're doing right now and pick a pair up.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #108
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a pair of Bose SIE2i's that I wear for cycling and the gym.

They are great except the cord is too short and I don't care for how the jacks are built. I'm convinced that it's the weak spot in the design and I'm just waiting for one to fail.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #109
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone school me on amps? I'd like to get one for my cans but I have no idea what I am looking for.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #110
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Can anyone school me on amps? I'd like to get one for my cans but I have no idea what I am looking for.
What's your budget?

The folks at head-fi.org know all there is to know on the topic - I'd start there. If your source is a laptop/desktop I would definitely be sure to get one with a built-in DAC. Fiio and nuForce make some pretty solid entry-level DAC/Amp combinations.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #111
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
What's your budget?

The folks at head-fi.org know all there is to know on the topic - I'd start there. If your source is a laptop/desktop I would definitely be sure to get one with a built-in DAC. Fiio and nuForce make some pretty solid entry-level DAC/Amp combinations.
Probably under $200 if possible. I'd primarily be using it with my desktop.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #112
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default The Headphones Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Probably under $200 if possible. I'd primarily be using it with my desktop.
I'd check out the Fiio E18. Portable dac+amp, and doubles as an extra battery for your phone.
http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/inde...nuID=105026002

The nuForce udac3 is worth a look too. No battery so it needs USB to run.
https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?op...-3&Itemid=2746

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 12-03-2013 at 08:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #113
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

If anybody's in the market for an excellent, affordable set of circumaural headphones - check this out: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazo...anada-1424259/

These are an excellent set of cans, that I keep going back to after multiple sets of carefully chosen and more expensive pairs.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #114
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Visions has the monster turbine copper pro's on sale for $98. I've never had a pair of headphones this high end before. Any thing I need to know? Primarily I listen to my iPod. Thanks
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #115
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnothing View Post
Visions has the monster turbine copper pro's on sale for $98. I've never had a pair of headphones this high end before. Any thing I need to know? Primarily I listen to my iPod. Thanks
All you need to know is that you should order them immediately. MTPCs under $100 are about the best deal going in IEMs.

Monster Turbines, Trumpets, and Tributes are great first steps into audiophile headphones because they've got an excellent level of detail, tight bass with deep extension, don't need amplification, and have a slight "v" sound signature, which keeps the sound "fun". A lot of higher-end headphones have a really flat sound for more analytical listening and won't be as appealing to most.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #116
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ok thanks Mick. I did in fact but them. One of the bonuses of spending the holidays in the Hat, those deals last a bit longer, grabbed them at noon. In Calgary they would be long gone.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #117
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was a little disappointed with the full sized over ear Sennheiser Momentums. Sound quality was certainly decent at that price point and the design is always easy to appreciate but not something I would spend money on to be honest.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #118
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
If anybody's in the market for an excellent, affordable set of circumaural headphones - check this out: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazo...anada-1424259/

These are an excellent set of cans, that I keep going back to after multiple sets of carefully chosen and more expensive pairs.

Thanks just ordered a set of these from amazon.com, $121.01 all in. Got the straight cable because the coiled was sold out but I think the straight should be fine. I think I will mainly be using them at home anyways. I had been looking for some decent cans during the boxing day sales but there were too many choices and it was pretty confusing.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #119
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any thoughts on these headphones? Are they worth it or can I find a cheaper better pair? They're sold out online but I can still get them in store with a $50 gift card. I'm looking for something that's good for listening to music at work and maybe late night gaming at home. I listen to mostly metal but not death metal.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...bd79ed91faen02
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #120
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

i got a pair of Bose head phones for Chrismtmas. They are the on ear headphones and they are uncomftorable if you wear them for more than 30 minutes because they sort of squish your ears. Anybody else have this problem. The sound quality is great in them though. I believe they are from costco
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote