Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #181
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't disagree that this is a hot deal but I'm having such a hard time justifying the $200 for another pair of open cans even if they're based on the 650s

Edit: I suppose the exchange especially seals it.

Last edited by Anduril; 11-03-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #182
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

What do you listen with now? If you're happy with what you got that's great.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #183
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
What do you listen with now? If you're happy with what you got that's great.
At home I've stopped with the Sennheiser HD 598 so it's not like I'd be suddenly experiencing a whole new world. If anything I should be saving and spending that money on a proper DAC.

Just the temptation of being a packrat and collecting gear is real.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #184
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
At home I've stopped with the Sennheiser HD 598 so it's not like I'd be suddenly experiencing a whole new world. If anything I should be saving and spending that money on a proper DAC.

Just the temptation of being a packrat and collecting gear is real.
You definitely need an amp for the 6XX. I should've mentioned that. People shouldn't buy these and expect to have a positive experience unless they know what to expect. I posted this for those who've been in the market for the HD 650 but balked at the price.

I know all too well how collecting gear can get out of hand. I have the 598s too. They're very comfortable and have a nice neutral sound. I use them for watching videos and day-to-day listening. I don't blame you for sticking with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #185
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up a pair of bang and olufsen h6 cans, and boy am I impressed! Still use my akg 240 studios, but they are semi open with a real long cord. The h6 is one of the few high end headphones that don't really need an amp to sound great. In fact my headroom total bithead dac doesn't really like their frequency, so would have to find something else. The short cord has been called cheap by some audiophiles, but it comes with a mic and taking calls with them are a dream for clarity. They've become my go to for just plugging in a phone, sticking it in my pocket and cleaning the house or whatever. Or just looking cool! They may even be more comfortable than my akgs!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:09 PM   #186
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Massdrop has partnered with Sennheiser to release the HD 6XX, based on the HD 650. I have a pair of the 650s and they sound amazing. The 6XX is supposed to sound identical but will likely have lower build quality to keep the price down. Theyre selling for $199 which will be closer to $350 with exchange and shipping. That's still a killer deal. Massdrop shipping can take forever (don't expect them for Christmas) but these will be worth the wait. Sign up now, I'm positive they'll sell out quickly.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
Also note that Massdrop ships to Canada via DHL , and tax (GST in Alberta), will be tacked on at the border. And DHL charges you something like $12 for the convenience of them paying the tax for you. Then they pass the package of to Canada Post, who will hold it for you at the post office so you can go pay the extra. At least this was my experience when I ordered through Massdrop recently. Still might be worthwhile. Just be aware the shipping charge isn't that last you will be pay before you get your package.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #187
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Massdrop has partnered with Sennheiser to release the HD 6XX, based on the HD 650. I have a pair of the 650s and they sound amazing. The 6XX is supposed to sound identical but will likely have lower build quality to keep the price down. Theyre selling for $199 which will be closer to $350 with exchange and shipping. That's still a killer deal. Massdrop shipping can take forever (don't expect them for Christmas) but these will be worth the wait. Sign up now, I'm positive they'll sell out quickly.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #188
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I picked up a pair of Audeze iSine 10s today. They're planar magnetics in a portable IEM form factor. Damn do they sound great. I got the Cipher cable so it connects to my iPhone via the Lightning port. There's an app so you can set the EQ that gets stored in the cable's DAC. Very cool. A USB-C version should come out soon for Android users.

They can take a bit of effort to get a comfortable fit, but once you get that figured out you can easily wear them for hours. The open back may impact where you can use them, but sound leaking isn't a big issue at the volume I listen at.

The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #189
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Massdrop just launched what's likely going to be one of the best deals in HiFi headphones you'll find anywhere. They've teamed up with HiFiMAN to create the HE4XX headphones - a set of open-back, planar magnetic headphones, for just $169 US + $15 shipping to Canada.

I've had the HE400i headphones and they were so detailed and articulate, it made me feel like I'd been listening to music through balled-up toilet paper my entire life. However, I eventually passed them along as they needed modification of the ear pads to strengthen the bass to where I'd like it, and had a bump at 8khz that did not agree with my ears. The HE4XX comes stock with upgraded Focus-A ear pads, and tweaked drivers that have reduced the 8khz bump and smoothed out the frequency response in general.

If you've got a budget of $250 CAD, you really can't go wrong here if they even approach the performance of the HE400i. If your curious about planar magnetics, or are looking for your first true HiFi headphones, get on this!

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #190
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Massdrop just launched what's likely going to be one of the best deals in HiFi headphones you'll find anywhere. They've teamed up with HiFiMAN to create the HE4XX headphones - a set of open-back, planar magnetic headphones, for just $169 US + $15 shipping to Canada.

I've had the HE400i headphones and they were so detailed and articulate, it made me feel like I'd been listening to music through balled-up toilet paper my entire life. However, I eventually passed them along as they needed modification of the ear pads to strengthen the bass to where I'd like it, and had a bump at 8khz that did not agree with my ears. The HE4XX comes stock with upgraded Focus-A ear pads, and tweaked drivers that have reduced the 8khz bump and smoothed out the frequency response in general.

If you've got a budget of $250 CAD, you really can't go wrong here if they even approach the performance of the HE400i. If your curious about planar magnetics, or are looking for your first true HiFi headphones, get on this!
I ordered a pair. Gotta wait until December to get them but that's not a big deal. I've heard the HM5 pads are a good upgrade,
but I'll check out the new stock pads first.
https://www.amazon.ca/Brainwavz-Velo.../dp/B00MFDX4YO
Old 08-06-2017, 02:03 AM   #191
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post

Thx for bumping the thread. I ended up getting in on the 6xx drop and got an amp as well.

Not knowing anything about planar cans, is there a major difference from the 6xx?
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #192
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
Thx for bumping the thread. I ended up getting in on the 6xx drop and got an amp as well.

Not knowing anything about planar cans, is there a major difference from the 6xx?
Planars are known for their deep sub-bass (frequencies below 60Hz). If you look at this graph you can see the differences between the HD650 (that the 6XX is based on) and the Hifiman HE-400 (the closest match to the HE-4XX available on this graph). The sub-bass is better in the Hifiman but isn't as strong as a high-end planar, like an LCD-2. The HD650 has a lot of mid-bass, which is why I love them. You can see the 8kHz spike that MickMcGeough mentions. I'm hoping that gets toned down in the 4XX.

http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...n=Update+Graph

There are way better planar magnetic headphones out there, but not at this price.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #193
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for replacement ear buds, not in ear. My Skull Candies have fallen apart, and have had a few issues. Any recommendations?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #194
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Looking for replacement ear buds, not in ear. My Skull Candies have fallen apart, and have had a few issues. Any recommendations?
I don't use ear buds because they don't fit well in my ears, but these are both highly recommended on headphone forums. The Monks are especially good for the price.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vent...417311324.html

https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-505.../dp/B007ZMO4P8
Old 08-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #195
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought these Sony Extra Bass ear buds for $30 USD so $28 CAD is a steal. They sound great and isolate really well.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00JRD...ucL&ref=plSrch
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #196
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the price I ended up ordering the monks earlier today. I've tried the Sennheisers before but found them to be to large.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:30 PM   #197
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know I'll probably get flack from the audiophiles here, but I've had a pair of $30 AUKEY Bluetooth Headphones. I've always liked the behind-the-head style for when I am on the go. These are light, fold up to a very small size and sound really good for podcasts and audio books, and are good enough for me for music. For $30, they are worth a try.

Last edited by Iceman90; 08-09-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #198
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I know I'll probably get flack from the audiophiles here, but I've had a pair of $30 AUKEY Bluetooth Headphones. I've always liked the behind-the-head style for when I am on the go. These are light, fold up to a very small size and sound really good for podcasts and audio books, and are good enough for me for music. For $30, they are worth a try.

This gives me flashbacks to the behind the ear Sony headphones I had as a youngster. Pretty decent performance for the price at the time ($20 for the wired version IIRC). I loved those things.

These look pretty sweet, but I have no reason to acquire a bluetooth headphone to replace my MPOW Wolverines (Which I rarely use).

IMO, the most important aspect of headphones (same as cameras) isn't necessarily the quality specs of the item, but the satisfaction and the actual usage of the headphones. If those are you daily drivers, awesome. If they collect dust, $30 or $300, what a waste.

I was really temped to acquire a pair of HD598 when they were on sale for $110 on Amazon (I wanted a set of open cans), but honestly speaking, I rarely use headphones now. I'd be better off spending it on getting a better blue tooth speaker or something (though I already have a sweet set of Harmon Kardon bluetooth speakers). I also personally view audiophile level headphones as a hobby vs a way of life in the same way someone may have a "fun" car and a "daily driver". It's awesome if you can combine the two, not an issue if you can't, seemingly pointless if any of them collect dust vs being driven.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #199
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
This gives me flashbacks to the behind the ear Sony headphones I had as a youngster. Pretty decent performance for the price at the time ($20 for the wired version IIRC). I loved those things.
I still use Sony behind the ear headphones. I wear them to bed. They're comfortable and cheap (I got 2 for $20 during the Futureshop clearance) so I don't care if they get damaged.

Those Aukey headphones look super comfortable too. Do they have any dropout issues?
Old 08-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #200
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got the Monk's today, after a very brief listen, they are fantastic. Way better than my old Skull Candy's. They are a little large for my liking, but still feel comfortable, so we will see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: