Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Calgary Airport Parking Break Ins

Just about to fly out of town for a couple days and will be parking at the airport.

Does anyone remember the name of the Calgary Airport parking company that had vehicle break ins where they broke into the cars and then used the garage door openers to break into the houses as well? Were the employees ever caught? I believe it was a few months ago.

I get confused with park and ride, park and jet, park and fly so not sure which one it was but I'd like to avoid them.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't recall which lot/company you're specifically referring to, but for what it's worth I've always had good experiences with park2go.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was Park&Jet according to this article

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/...t-near-airport
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

This?

Lee and her husband, fellow composer David Eagle, were returning home from a weekend getaway in Vancouver late Monday when they went to the Park & Jet lot near Calgary International Airport to pick up their car, which they had just purchased this summer.

But they were vague about whether they had called police, Eagle said, adding the staff seemed “nonchalant” about the whole situation.

Messages left Wednesday for Park & Jet Calgary’s operations manager, who was identified by staff as the person authorized to speak on the issue, were not returned.

The couple took a taxi home and were stunned to see their garage door open, and light from their home streaming through the open main door, which had been damaged.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

“Never leave in one’s car the spare car key, garage remote control, car registration, or anything with your home address on it.”

Don't you have to have that in your car?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
“Never leave in one’s car the spare car key, garage remote control, car registration, or anything with your home address on it.”

But take it with you if you leave your car at one of those places for multiple days/weeks. It's not like the car is going to be on the road (at least that isn't the plan).

Just put it back when you get home and go pick up the car . . . assuming that you haven't been robbed of it during your trip.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah. I usually put my registration and insurance card with my passport when I travel.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #8
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

You'd think now-a-days they could exclude actually printing your home address on the paper. Come on. we all know that you have that info in the system.

WRGMG - is that we cant just have all of our "car" related stuff on our licenses.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

so if you get pulled over and asked for registration, do you really need the physical piece of paper? are you screwed if all you have is a picture or scan on your phone? it's the same information right? I'd love to just have all that stuff fully digital and not worry about it.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 03-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
so if you get pulled over and asked for registration, do you really need the physical piece of paper? are you screwed if all you have is a picture or scan on your phone? it's the same information right? I'd love to just have all that stuff fully digital and not worry about it.
I'd be in favour of this, although I'm guessing that this is a case where the law hasn't caught up with technology.

A digital version of pink slip (or registration) should not automatically make it counterfeit, and a paper version could easily be faked anyway. The policy/registration info is what counts, the format shouldn't matter.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #11
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Yes, you still have to have the actual copy of it in your vehicle if you are using the vehicle. If you aren't (such as using a Park2Go service), you can (and should) remove it.

Also, on taking pictures, since a lot of folks these days after an accident like to just take a picture of the plate, D/L of the other driver and their insurance papers...the other driver (or you) are not obligated to allow someone to have a picture of "your info". You just have to provide that info. You need to provide a plate, your D/L number, and your insurance policy number only.

A lot of folks these days seem to think that "you" are obliged to provide/let the other person take a picture of the info, when you aren't.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #12
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I have been pulled over and handed an officer my phone with the pink card, and registration on it, and had no issues. I was on my motorcycle.

For my cars, I never leave the registration and pink card in the glove box. I leave them in an envelope under one of the floor mats. The likely hood of a thief looking under your floor mat is very low.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #13
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I have been pulled over and handed an officer my phone with the pink card, and registration on it, and had no issues. I was on my motorcycle.

For my cars, I never leave the registration and pink card in the glove box. I leave them in an envelope under one of the floor mats. The likely hood of a thief looking under your floor mat is very low.

Until now..............thanks a bunch

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #14
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post

Things like this seem to vary from cop to cop and day to day. When I was pulled over a few years ago the cop became very irritated when he asked for my insurance and registration and I offered him the little plastic folio thing that insurance companies send you with your slip. He demanded I take out the insurance and registration documents and only provide those to him.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #15
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Only when you're driving. I started carrying my insurance/reg in my wallet years ago. I'm also careful not to keep receipts or anything that can identify me in the vehicle.

Garage remote goes with me on my carry-on. Alternatively, newer vehichles have buttons you can program to your garage door, which is actually an easy $50 DIY mod you can do yourself on older vehicles too.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #16
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that my old man does is unplugs his garage door opener when he goes away. Not a bad idea. My opener actually has a "lock" setting that you can activate that effectively does the same thing by disabling remote access until you manually press to unlock it.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #17
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
It was Park&Jet according to this article

Yeah that's the one. I couldn't recall the name. Thanks. I'll try to avoid park&jet
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #18
The_Penguin
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
I don't recall which lot/company you're specifically referring to, but for what it's worth I've always had good experiences with park2go.
There's a thread over on Beyond about Park2Go employees stealing from vehicles and driving them around the lots. I stopped going there shortly after reading it.
The_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #19
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong thread.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #20
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
There's a thread over on Beyond about Park2Go employees stealing from vehicles and driving them around the lots. I stopped going there shortly after reading it.
Not that's it's a big deal, but my change was stolen at Park2Go on 2 occasions . They even took a superstore cart coin.

I stopped going there.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote