Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #41
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-Hater View Post
We have enough information to know that the police murdered this teen who had his hands up in surrender.
No, actually you don't. Yes, that very well could be the case but there might be much more to it than that.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #42
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My foster sons uncle was gunned down by a cop in Seattle a few years ago, straight up murder no question about it, cop got fired and they gave the family a few mill.
I pretty much despise US police, they are an ill trained rabble at best, I'll trained corrupt homocidal rabble at worst
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #43
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
You would be right. It also has the citizens interacting with police behaving a lot more. Almost kinda like when someone knows they are on camera and won't get away with shenanigans, they don't try to pull shenanigans...
Exactly, when the issued body cameras in California, the amount of complaints dropped by close to 90% or something crazy. Granted, part of this would be the trouble cops not doing hinky stuff, but there is a part of it made of BS claims made by people looking for a quick buck.

Since nothing in this case has even be proven, the people running around like fools were just looking for a chance to somehow justify their desire to commit criminal acts. But it seems like nothing can happen these days without someone making a claim of racism.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #44
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Exactly, when the issued body cameras in California, the amount of complaints dropped by close to 90% or something crazy. Granted, part of this would be the trouble cops not doing hinky stuff, but there is a part of it made of BS claims made by people looking for a quick buck.

Since nothing in this case has even be proven, the people running around like fools were just looking for a chance to somehow justify their desire to commit criminal acts. But it seems like nothing can happen these days without someone making a claim of racism.
You took the 'jump to conclusions' mat from everyone else in this thread, flipped it upside down and jumped on it yourself.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #45
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post

I doubt very much if there wasn't racism involved if the victim would have even been confronted.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #46
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I doubt very much if there wasn't racism involved if the victim would have even been confronted.
Now that sounds racist.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:32 AM   #47
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently they do have the means of using body camera's in the Ferguson Police force. They have yet to do so tho.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:00 AM   #48
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
My foster sons uncle was gunned down by a cop in Seattle a few years ago, straight up murder no question about it, cop got fired and they gave the family a few mill.
I pretty much despise US police, they are an ill trained rabble at best, I'll trained corrupt homocidal rabble at worst
Proper training is the only long-term solution.

In Finland we train our police minimum 2,5 years.

In Missouri it's about 6 months.

Btw, I love the difference in the imagery they use over there and over here.

Here's what's on the front page in Finland:

Spoiler!

Here's what's on the front page in Missouri:
The pictures are from two different places, but they're all the pictures.

Spoiler!

From the pictures you get the idea that pretty much the only basic requirement for a US police officer is that they know how to shoot.

EDIT:
Btw, notice how everyone is white. I guess you could argue that since Finland is 95% white this is not a big deal. But I'm pretty sure the Finnish police force isn't 50% female either. Still, not a huge complaint in my books.

However, in Missouri it kind of stands out that with 11% black population there's not a single black person in those pictures.

Last edited by Itse; 08-13-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #49
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Police shooting of unarmed teen leads to protests and Riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It doesn't make it right, but part of the issue lies with the kind of weaponry gun nut freaks carry as well. An arms race is all but inevitable.

But the rest of your post is probably bang on. I am always amazed at the level of subtle racism when I'm in the US, and that is simple, every day life. Never mind the well known disparity in how blacks, whites and other races are treated by the legal system.
I was watching The Social yesterday on CTV, one of the hosts is black, she was formerly married and lived in LA for a few years. She said one day she was outside their home with her husband, and it was a nice day so she said let's go for a walk. He told her he had to go in the house and get his ID first and when she questioned him about why he needed that, he told her that he couldn't go anywhere casually like that in LA as a black man, he always had to have ID with him, in case he was stopped by police. She was so shocked, being raised in Canada, she never thought about anything like that, he being born and raised in the US - it was part of his daily life. Being concerned about having ID to go for a walk!

Last edited by bigtmac19; 08-13-2014 at 07:55 AM.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #50
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those pictures are from what?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #51
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Apparently they do have the means of using body camera's in the Ferguson Police force. They have yet to do so tho.
Link?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #52
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I was watching The Social yesterday on CTV, one of the hosts is black, she was formerly married and lived in LA for a few years. She said one day she was outside their home with her husband, and it was a nice day so she said let's go for a walk. He told her he had to go in the house and get his ID first and when she questioned him about why he needed that, he told her that he couldn't go anywhere casually like that in LA as a black man, he always had to have ID with him, in case he was stopped by police. She was so shocked, being raised in Canada, she never thought about anything like that, he being born and raised in the US - it was part of his daily life. Being concerned about having ID to go for a walk!
I can understand his concern...but I wonder at the folks who don't walk around with ID at all. But then, I never don't have my wallet/id with me unless I'm wandering around inside my house. I just don't leave the house without my wallet. Maybe it's just me.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #53
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I can understand his concern...but I wonder at the folks who don't walk around with ID at all. But then, I never don't have my wallet/id with me unless I'm wandering around inside my house. I just don't leave the house without my wallet. Maybe it's just me.
Yes but I'm sure you are carrying your ID on impulse/habit, not because you're concerned about being randomly carded by a cop because of your melanin content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #54
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Yes but I'm sure you are carrying your ID on impulse/habit, not because you're concerned about being randomly carded by a cop because of your melanin content.
True. I always feel 'weird' if I leave the house without my wallet.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #55
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
Link?
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin...dy_cameras.php

Quote:
ith wide-scale protests in Ferguson, MO, after the mid-day killing of unarmed teenager Michael Brown, police cameras have been getting press all over the country. The Ferguson Police Department reportedly already owned body-worn cameras that might have shed light on what happened in that incident, but they'd never actually been deployed.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/11...r-in-suburban/

Quote:
Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson told KSDK-TV that there's no video footage of the shooting from the apartment complex or from any police cruiser dashboard cameras or body-worn cameras that the department recently bought but has not yet put to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #56
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Tuesday, August 12, the FAA issued a#no-fly zone over Ferguson through Monday, August 18. The purpose of the no-fly zone is "to provide a safe haven for law enforcement activities" — i.e. to clear the airspace for police helicopters
Old 08-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #57
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Day 5
An unofficial curfew on Wednesday, August 13

— On Wednesday, August 13th, the Ferguson Police Department released its#first official statement since the shooting. The statement read, in part:

We only ask that any groups wishing to assemble in prayer or in protest do so only during daylight hours in an organized and respectful manner. We further ask all those wishing to demonstrate or assemble disperse well before the evening hours to ensure the safety of the participants and the safety of the community.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #58
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Tuesday, August 12th, the#St. Louis County prosecutor's office announced that they would not be releasing the results of the autopsy of Michael Brown's body. On Wednesday, August 13th, the body was released to Brown's family. The family's lawyer said they would seek a#second investigation of the body.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #59
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Anonymous have released the police tapes (from the incident) on youtube.
Also the Citys office has been with out online communication since Sunday Night when anonymous took down there servers.

They are also in the process of confirming the Identity of the Police officer of the shooting. They made it clear they need to be 100% sure before releasing this info.

I know people can dislike them but they have done good work before. They found Amanda Todd's abuser, they found Video evidence of the Stubanville rape, they have taken Middle Eastern government sites down and only returned them when the country's let their people have access back to a open internet.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 08-13-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #60
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://ktla.com/2014/08/12/man-hospi...-in-south-l-a/
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote