Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-29-2014, 03:03 PM   #21
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

My thoughts:

keeping it illegal only increases crime, heard straight from the mouth of a BC officer. They know that it being illegal creates an industry, inflates the price of the bud and in effect drives more criminals to the potential profit. The criminals in BC don't want it legalized.

It's a plant that has potential for an awful lot of good and equally has the potential to ruin lives, I've smoked enough in my day to see it turn people with potential into unmotivated leeches and am weary to not do it too much as it will inevitably influence one's thought patterns negatively, the worst part being it's hard to even tell it's happening. It helps just as many people as it harms, that being said it being illegal does nobody but criminals any good by inflating the price and creating a potential income that otherwise should not exist. For every single grow op busted another will pop up by the inherent nature of the fact that when one is busted it keeps the price high.

Last edited by AcGold; 01-29-2014 at 03:09 PM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #22
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Legalize all drugs. People don't not do meth because it's illegal.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #23
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

that is true, but making synthetic drugs that are physically addictive in the chemical sense legal is a bad idea imo. Truly addictive drugs have taken over entire countries (e.g. China)
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #24
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
that is true, but making synthetic drugs that are physically addictive in the chemical sense legal is a bad idea imo. Truly addictive drugs have taken over entire countries (e.g. China)
Are these drugs legal in China? If you make synthetic drugs legal, you can control the purity of the drugs, thus reducing the risks of accidental overdoses, etc. Making them legal also increases the likelihood that someone who is addicted will seek treatment.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #25
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm in favour of legalization but decriminalization would be a nice compromise for the time being. At least it would keep perfectly functional people from jail. That includes the dealers because a lot of the time they're just someone buying in bulk and splitting with their friends. Harper's new mandatory minimums are a joke.

I don't care for pre-employment drug testing for marijuana. Thankfully it's illegal in Canada except for safety sensitive positions but even then I question how effective it is. Most people can stop smoking for a month or two just to get a job and then start right back up. All these tests really do is inconvenience those of us that prefer a J instead of a beer. I suppose on the other hand it's a pretty easy way to filter out people with poor self-control that can't stop smoking for a month. Maybe those people are the ones that are more likely to smoke on the job.
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think I'd rather eat M then smoke it.

http://www.theweedblog.com/how-is-sm...ing-marijuana/

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmgpvPiER7o
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #27
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
My thoughts:

keeping it illegal only increases crime, heard straight from the mouth of a BC officer. They know that it being illegal creates an industry, inflates the price of the bud and in effect drives more criminals to the potential profit. The criminals in BC don't want it legalized.

It's a plant that has potential for an awful lot of good and equally has the potential to ruin lives, I've smoked enough in my day to see it turn people with potential into unmotivated leeches and am weary to not do it too much as it will inevitably influence one's thought patterns negatively, the worst part being it's hard to even tell it's happening. It helps just as many people as it harms, that being said it being illegal does nobody but criminals any good by inflating the price and creating a potential income that otherwise should not exist. For every single grow op busted another will pop up by the inherent nature of the fact that when one is busted it keeps the price high.
Meh that is not true. In the twenty years i've been smoking in BC, the street prices haven't gone up at all. I pay less for weed then I did 20 years ago for my own personal usage. At the supplier level, the price has plummeted. Pounds sell for significantly less then they used to sell for.

Criminals used medicinal marijuana grow licenses to cheat the system and that has contributed to the significant drop in prices at the supplier level. There was an article in the paper about a grower and how he preferred the old days as he would get significantly more money. He still sells to the same people he always did (criminals), all the license did was protect him from prosecution and allowed him to do things more legit with less profit. With so many grow licenses out there, there is a way more supply then demand. I can't find the link to the article.

Marijuana at licensed dispensaries is already more expensive then what I personally pay. Once the government gets their hands on taxing and regulating marijuana you will see price increase most definitely. And that of course, will create a black market and you will see criminals profit from it because you know the government will #### it up.

As for the tests for driving while impaired by marijuana. I hope they can accurately figure that out and change it to a drinking and driving situation. As it stands right now, there is no way for a driver to dispute a driving while high charge. If a cop believes you are high, you get the same 24 hour suspension and RDP penalties just like blowing a warning level at a roadside test. So, I hope they figure that #### out. I have a crappy driving record for those types of things and I no longer drive under those conditions, but knowing a cop can just out right and say i'm high and cause me to lose my license for up to a year and I have no recourse to change that really gets me antsy.
Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #28
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't smoke it, but I really don't care if it's legalized. As long as it's regulated like alcohol and cigarettes. Not in public places, while driving, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Might want to check your HR policy book, but for the vast majority of companies it is absolutely not acceptable to have a beer at lunch.
I've had to let people go for this in the past unfortunately. Not sure when or how it suddenly became acceptable.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #29
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
It's acceptable practice to have a beer with lunch, why not a doob?
I've worked for 4 different oil and gas companies, none of them condone having a beer at lunch.

The war on drugs is a huge waste of time. Regulate it, sell it, tax it and put the criminals out of business.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #30
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

I'd also be very curious to see what programs / rules will be in place to prevent the people who have previously grown illegally to suddenly become a legitimized business.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #31
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have they developed a way to test for MJ levels in impaired driving cases?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #32
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Yeah, if you're driving 32 on in a 50 zone.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #33
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
There are police officers that are trained to detect the physiological symptoms of drugs and are designated as drug recognition experts. They would have to testify in court with regards to what they observed from a "high" driver.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #34
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
There are police officers that are trained to detect the physiological symptoms of drugs and are designated as drug recognition experts. They would have to testify in court with regards to what they observed from a "high" driver.
What I have a hard time finding is that at least with booze they have a breathalizer or BAC tests with pot you dont have that other than a UA but that will only tell if you used the substance and not if you're high at that moment
Old 01-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #35
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

It is interesting reading how legalization is effecting Colorado. Apparently tourism is on the rise since the legalization, with the majority of the visitors coming from states that are the most against legalization of marijuana.

Pretty funny.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:26 AM   #36
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

As soon as the laws are changed, I bet that the smoking pad at work will all of a sudden have a different smell. People already think that it doesn't affect them at all... "just makes them more relaxed"
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #37
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
As soon as the laws are changed, I bet that the smoking pad at work will all of a sudden have a different smell. People already think that it doesn't affect them at all... "just makes them more relaxed"
Those people will likely find themselves unemployed pretty quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #38
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Then they'll lose their jobs I'm sure.

One of the things I hope is regulated with this is usage in public. Similar to open liquor laws.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #39
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Then they'll lose their jobs I'm sure.

One of the things I hope is regulated with this is usage in public. Similar to open liquor laws.
so put that bong in a brown bag and you'll be fine
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swarly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #40
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
I was probably one of the first ever charged for dry drunk in the late 60s. The officer got on the stand and said my pupils were dilated and pinpointed. My lawyer and I started laughing and the judge said "Maybe they were going back and forth, case dismissed".

Still not a good idea to drive under the influence of grass.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote