Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #181
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Always go out so you can survive an unexpected night out.
It's amazing how few people buy into that.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #182
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If you are going alone make sure to tell someone where you are going, how long, and when to call search and rescue to look for you. You dont want to 127 hrs yourself. A spot or a PLB is a good safety device but it doesnt take theresponibility off you to be prepared.

Always go out so you can survive an unexpected night out. The most likely is probably spraining an ankle or getting lost. I carry a blizzard bag.
I find the closer you are to the summit the better cell phone reception gets. Probably not something to count on though.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #183
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
It's amazing how few people buy into that.
I compare my backpacking gear to my day hiking gear and the only real difference is switching out the tent, pad and bag for the blizard bag and getting rid of the stove and dishes. Other than that it is the same kit.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:34 AM   #184
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

How crowded have people found the upper falls at Johnston Canyon to be, and their thoughts on the Ink Pots if they've gone to the end? Haven't been there in many years but trying it out as a starter to see what my girlfriend is comfortable with.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:05 AM   #185
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
How crowded have people found the upper falls at Johnston Canyon to be,
Extremely.
Quote:
and their thoughts on the Ink Pots if they've gone to the end?
Worth the trip if you're heading out there anyways. Nice creek to eat lunch by and dip your feet in. The nice thing about Johnston is if she isn't up for the ink pots, at least the Canyon is a nice payoff for the scenery, and easy to turn back if she doesn't/can't make it all the way up to the ink pots.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #186
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How crowded have people found the upper falls at Johnston Canyon to be, and their thoughts on the Ink Pots if they've gone to the end? Haven't been there in many years but trying it out as a starter to see what my girlfriend is comfortable with.
Get there before 10. After that do something like tunnel mountain or Stewart Canyon around lake Minniwanka. Or bring your bikes and bike the 5k paved trail to sundance canyon and do te 2.5k hike at the end.

Or do it next May its pretty empty then.

Do not do it between 10-4. There is a km long line up of parked cars along the highway just to get to the hike. I cant imagine how awfuk the bridges and viewing platforms are.

Last edited by GGG; 08-31-2014 at 08:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #187
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone heading up to the mountains be careful what you are leaving in your vehicles. We were at Ribbon Lake for a couple days and every vehicle that was left in the Buller Mountain day use area was broken into over the weekend. Nothing like coming home from a great three day trip to find a smashed in window. Next time I'm heading out there I think I'll just be leaving my car unlocked.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #188
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody been out recently? Is Indefatigable doable this time of year? Looking at doing that in a week or so.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #189
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anybody been out recently? Is Indefatigable doable this time of year? Looking at doing that in a week or so.
It's always tough this time of year to say. The answer is maybe. If there is no snow you are good obviously, if there is 3 inches of snow you are okay with micro spikes. The problem conditions and you can't tell until you get there is if there is a thin layer of ice on everything from the previous days melt that would make it pretty treacherous.

I would bet on okay with micro spikes.

I had friends who did mount Cory last week so likely similar elevation. They had 2-3 inches of snow with no ice.

Last edited by GGG; 10-12-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #190
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would bet on okay with micro spikes.
Yeah I'll be taking micro-spikes or crampons. I've never done Indefatigable before and what I'm reading is it might be a dumb idea if there's snow.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #191
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I'll be taking micro-spikes or crampons. I've never done Indefatigable before and what I'm reading is it might be a dumb idea if there's snow.
If it's icy enough that you would slip and continue sliding but not enough snow for an ice axe it's real stupid. Be prepared to turn around if you try it and not keep going because it's only the last 100m that are dangerous.

I'm assuming you are going to the south summit which is the day hikers summit. Doing the ridge traverse to the north summit or up the north summit might be pushing it in winter
Old 03-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #192
Smyth's Skate
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We have been doing some hikes with the kids and some snowshoeing in the Canmore/Banff area, but I am itching to gain some altitude. I have identified Prairie Mountain as a possibility for a winter hike/scramble. I have the gear I need and will be taking microspikes, but I am wondering if anyone has climbed Prairie recently and can comment on conditions. Any advice is appreciated.
Smyth's Skate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #193
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know a guy who uses it for training and has been up to the top 23 times so far this year alone. I think last Saturday he went up 2-3 times in a row. Because it is South facing and very wide open and often breezy this is a hike/scramble that you can do all year. It basically starts right at the gates also so is one of the main options for the next few months and a great early season route. Most of the snow melts/blows away so you likely won't need spikes but throw them in your pack just in case.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #194
Smyth's Skate
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
I know a guy who uses it for training and has been up to the top 23 times so far this year alone. I think last Saturday he went up 2-3 times in a row. Because it is South facing and very wide open and often breezy this is a hike/scramble that you can do all year. It basically starts right at the gates also so is one of the main options for the next few months and a great early season route. Most of the snow melts/blows away so you likely won't need spikes but throw them in your pack just in case.
Thank you Macker. That is exactly the intel I was looking for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smyth's Skate For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #195
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was up Prarie Mountain about a week and a half ago. Mostly bare except one small 400-500 meter section that is quite slippery. Crampons are a must for that section but the rest is quite clear.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #196
Smyth's Skate
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsieve View Post
I was up Prarie Mountain about a week and a half ago. Mostly bare except one small 400-500 meter section that is quite slippery. Crampons are a must for that section but the rest is quite clear.
Excellent. Thanks pgsieve. I have my microspikes in my pack. I am looking forward to it
Old 03-12-2015, 08:20 PM   #197
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Any recommendations for hiking boots, jacket and a small backpack for dayhiking? I'm practically a beginner, so don't want to spend too much right away.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #198
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard Treksta is good for boots. They have light shoes to heavier boots. I think Camper's village sells them. If you just want light shoes, I love my Merrell All Out Blaze shoes. They're the best things I've ever had on my feet.

Jacket? Anything gortex. Atmosphere usually has some good discounts on the cheapy wrack.

Backpack? I dunno. There's usually not enough weight in your day pack to make much difference. Anything works for me. No fanny packs though.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #199
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For boots I got Solomons. They were nice because I took them on the west coast trail (first time used... I know) but they were very comfortable. They make the shoe so you don't need to break them in.

http://www.salomon.com/caus/product/...article=128391

As for jacket, there are now a lot better stuff out there than goretex. Just need to look it up.

And backpack depends how long you plan to go out for. If you're just doing day trips you won't need a 60l and vice versa.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooohooo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #200
Bongo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Anyone hiking the Pacific Crest Trail this year?
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness