Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2024, 04:25 PM   #101
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see all the worry about his size .

Saros,Quick, Shesterkin etc etc. There's actually a very large list of goalies in the modern day that have been 6 to 6'1" .

The average size for a goalie is 6'2"

Many of the top goalies fall in that category . Kipper himself was only 6 feet.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 04:31 PM   #102
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only worry is that he’ll need time to adjust to where nhl shooters shoot. Wait isn’t that the concern everyone has as they adjust to the higher level.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 05:22 PM   #103
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wolf won't sign any long-term deal unless it is something outrageous like a 8x8. But again, the Flames won't offer 8x8 to Wolf just yet. I guess it will be have to be a 2-3yr bridge deal for like 2-2.5m per
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 05:35 PM   #104
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
How tall was HHOF cup winner Mike Vernon again?
Vernie played stand up though. He covered much more of the net than Wolf does, because of that.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 05:47 PM   #105
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wolf is great in the AHL and looked great in the last 2-3 games. In the previous games before the Flames started playing better, he didn't look all that great but more down to earth normal. I'd rather not hype him up to greatness until he proves he's awesome. I don't want to get hyped up to get disappointed. I just want him to develop to be one of the great goalies. This has to coincide with building a good team to get to the Cup. So, I'm kind of excited but I want to be a bit reserved. This is why I say Wolf needs to be sheltered and not thrown in the fire immediately. The fans on here are just too temperamental for him to make mistakes! Also, you don't want him to start asking a huge contract and lose him due to crazy expectations.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 05:48 PM   #106
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Vernie played stand up though. He covered much more of the net than Wolf does, because of that.
Plus he’s in the HOF because of how he compared to his peers, and in that era, goalies were smaller (the thinking was big goalies weren’t agile enough). The year after Vernon won the cup, there were a ton of “small” goalies by todays standards - Darren Pang, Reddick, Fuhr, Ranford, Millen, Cujo, Richter, Beezer, Hrudey, Lemelin, Casey, all under 6’ (some of them a lot under). Roy seemed huge and he was six feet tall.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 05:56 PM   #107
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wolf is the smallest goalie I've seen in ages. Looks kinda funny in the net. Kid's got some serious puck tracking skills, and his agility is insane. Excited to see what he can do.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:08 PM   #108
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
I don't see all the worry about his size .

Saros,Quick, Shesterkin etc etc. There's actually a very large list of goalies in the modern day that have been 6 to 6'1" .

The average size for a goalie is 6'2"

Many of the top goalies fall in that category . Kipper himself was only 6 feet.
Goalie size is not comparable to defensemen or forward sizes. Those are necessary. The only advantage that size have on a goalie is that they likely don't have to move as much to cover the net. The size only matters is when you're not as sound defensively and the goalie have most of the lower holes covered just doing the butterfly style and shuffling across the net - like Markstrom, Vladar, and Skinner. They get into a lot of trouble when you start to move them side-to-side or move them out of position because the bigger they are, the more effort it takes to move. For guys like Saros, Kipper, and smaller goalies, they better be more athletic. GM's like Tre love big goalies that go down on their knees and don't move much. Markstrom and Vladar are the best examples of big positional goalies in the NHL. Saros, Shesterkin, and Wolf are smaller athletic types. Then, there's Vasilevskiy - he's like a Kipper and Markstrom combined in many ways!

The challenge for Wolf will be to make his size bigger and the holes smaller by challenging shooters more rather than sitting back in the crease. This will depend on the defensemen up front to allow room for him to do his work properly. This is why when people think goalie is the most important position - it's BS - it's not.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:09 PM   #109
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

He needs to just dedicate all his gym time outside of legs to shoulders, delts and lats. Build that upper body width and get a tapered V.

Given the perceived diminutive-ness despite having frankly a fine stature on paper he must have a slim natural build.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:12 PM   #110
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Honestly think he will be one of the best goalies in the nhl within a few years.

Also there is 0 chance he is 6 feet tall. Id say 5'11 on a good day.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:19 PM   #111
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Plus he’s in the HOF because of how he compared to his peers, and in that era, goalies were smaller (the thinking was big goalies weren’t agile enough). The year after Vernon won the cup, there were a ton of “small” goalies by todays standards - Darren Pang, Reddick, Fuhr, Ranford, Millen, Cujo, Richter, Beezer, Hrudey, Lemelin, Casey, all under 6’ (some of them a lot under). Roy seemed huge and he was six feet tall.
Roy looked huge in net because he's the only one who perfected the butterfly style. The only other goalie that came close is Giguere after he went to the Ducks and finally won the Cup with them. Ranford was actually a joke of a goalie. Theo Fleury actually made him look silly with that famous deke . Millen and Hrudey - meh. Small goalies like Vernon, Fuhr, Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, and Vanbiesbrouck are great. Vanbiesbrouck is only 5'8", probably the smallest of them all.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:01 PM   #112
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

It's hilarious to read what some people say is going to be needed to be done by Dustin in order to translate what he's already done to the next level.
Oh but he's gonna fail because he's small, he doesn't have the girth, he needs to bulk up blah blah blah.

How many goalies have we destroyed here since Kipper with small sample sizes and limited time? I count allot.

Last time I checked even ALL world goalies couldn't put a whole team on their back and erase all the warts .

Give this kid his shot. If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out ...but for now let him get some confidence, games and then we can determine what he is at the next level.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 07:07 PM   #113
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

He should put lifts inside his skate boots.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:22 PM   #114
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Roy looked huge in net because he's the only one who perfected the butterfly style. The only other goalie that came close is Giguere after he went to the Ducks and finally won the Cup with them. Ranford was actually a joke of a goalie. Theo Fleury actually made him look silly with that famous deke . Millen and Hrudey - meh. Small goalies like Vernon, Fuhr, Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, and Vanbiesbrouck are great. Vanbiesbrouck is only 5'8", probably the smallest of them all.
Beezer is actually maybe about 5th smallest.

But the point is - almost all goalies back then were 6 feet and under. I didn’t say whether they were good or bad. Just that you have to compare Vernon to his peers, not todays’ goalies.

As for Giguerre - he was twice as big in pads.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:27 PM   #115
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

The goals tonight weren’t size related goals.

Ras deflecting Ovi’s clapper, Ovi’s tip in tight, and that swing by Lapierre (Wolf was square to the incoming puck, it was quite unpredictable) - those things likely go in on most goalies

Puck placement is a huge contributing factor
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 09:37 PM   #116
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

When people sat wolf is small, I think that they are referring to his weight and not height. If he puts on 20 lbs without losing his agility, he will be fine long term.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:43 PM   #117
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
When people sat wolf is small, I think that they are referring to his weight and not height. If he puts on 20 lbs without losing his agility, he will be fine long term.
Maybe he needs more padding like those lacross goalies
Old 03-18-2024, 09:46 PM   #118
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
The goals tonight weren’t size related goals.

Ras deflecting Ovi’s clapper, Ovi’s tip in tight, and that swing by Lapierre (Wolf was square to the incoming puck, it was quite unpredictable) - those things likely go in on most goalies

Puck placement is a huge contributing factor
Thought the team played poorly in front of him. No push back until the third. I think the guys thought they didn't have to work hard after getting some wins

A couple of careless penalties.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 03-18-2024 at 09:49 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:09 AM   #119
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
If he could do that, he would have.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:59 AM   #120
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh no, he sucks again
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote