Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #41
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Link?

Not saying it isn't true but AHL salary doesn't make sense to me.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...7&postcount=79
Old 10-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #42
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Best to get it out of the way now instead of in the middle of his entry level contract like Hall or Nuge.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #43
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
So with this type of surgery, will he be able to complete some light training throughout the healing, or does he have to take it really easy?

It looks like a February to April return. Hopefully he can get a few games in this year. Any chance he could play if the Worlds?
I'm no doctor but I've had major joint injuries, recently in the knee (which is a far worse place to have an injury than a shoulder imo). I don't see why Bennett could not work out with the rest of his body and even skate while his shoulder recovers. It's getting the shoulder back into game shape that will be the big challenge.
greentree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #44
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Link?

As I was corrected myself in the last thread, it comes from language straight out of the CBA. In cases like this, salary is pro-rated based on how much time the player spent in the NHL the season before. Since Bennett is at 0, he gets the absolute minimum, which is the AHL salary in his two-way.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #45
Barbecue
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Heal up Sam!

The Silver lining... we're 1 step closer to winning the McDavid sweepstakes!
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #46
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Link?

CBA Article 15.6.

If a player on a two-way contract is injured during the preseason, he will be paid at a prorated rate based on the number of days he spent in the NHL during the previous season. So, if a player spent 50% of the previous season in the NHL and 50% in the AHL, he would be paid a daily rate based upon half of his NHL salary for the upcoming season and half of his AHL salary for the upcoming season (the daily rate is calculated by dividing the annual salary by the number of days in the current season).

Since Bennett had zero days in the NHL last season, he will receive a daily rate based entirely upon his AHL salary.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #47
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post
Heal up Sam!

The Silver lining... we're 1 step closer to winning the McDavid sweepstakes!
No we aren't. Bennett was extremely unlikely to stick beyond nine games in the first place.

And I still maintain that I want the Oilers to win the lottery if we finish last. People like you deserve that.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #48
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
No we aren't. Bennett was extremely unlikely to stick beyond nine games in the first place.

And I still maintain that I want the Oilers to win the lottery if we finish last. People like you deserve that.
I mean, Eichel would be pretty neat too...
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #49
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plett25 View Post
I imagine that he'll still be watching film, working on his knowledge of the game, he'll physically mature/age a year and will increase his core and lower body strength... he won't just be sitting on the couch watching Seinfeld reruns eating bonbons.

Not perfect, but it'll work out fine. I don't think he was going to develop a whole bunch dominating the OHL anyway.
Could be a blessing in disguise. Staying in Calgary with his future teammates, coaches, and training staff. Getting the pro experience without burning year 1 of his ELC.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #50
BlackWallStreet
Scoring Winger

Exp:

(sigh)
BlackWallStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #51
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Could be a blessing in disguise. Staying in Calgary with his future teammates, coaches, and training staff. Getting the pro experience without burning year 1 of his ELC.
This might be a silver lining, but not a "blessing in disguise". The best case scenario is of course no injury, no surgery.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #52
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Was wondering about this. I would assume - and hope - that he will spend the time here under Flames' care and with the Flames training staff. That would be good at least.

Amazing to think that Bennett, just having turned 18, with a sore groin and in injured shoulder, looked absolutely fantastic in his first training camp.

Can't wait to see a bigger, stronger, healthier Bennett next year!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #53
postal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Important to note, he will be a better player next year than we've seen. Despite the lost development, a stronger shoulder is worth it.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #54
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They will want the shoulder strong enough to stop a fall before training on ice. Hate to hit the ice to skate and bite it and rip the shoulder up again. He will be on bike and doing any kind of training that the trainer can dream up that doesn't require use of the shoulder.

Once strong enough to not do damage as you fall he should be able to hit the ice. Good thing about this though it's he will be in Calgary with our trainers, or dietician etc, hopefully he puts on some pounds, but not from eating Cheetos on a couch in Kingston.
lanny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #55
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is early October and will have pro supervised rehab. It would not surprise me if it is closer to the 4 month mark than the 6. If he is back mid February that still gives him 18 games plus playoffs (I would imagine that if he was to return and Kingston wasn't doing well in his absence that he would be traded). I think this happened early enough that he may still be able to get some development in at the OHL (as Komskies mentioned being around the pro team for his rehab can only help).

There is also the chance that if his team is eliminated he could spend some time in Addy.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #56
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think there is actually a bit of good luck mixed in. Sam is still very slight... He also looked good enough to stay in the nhl skill wise which would have really ground him down. You never know what would have happened but even if he went to the OHL, i don't know if he would learn a lot more and he'll have a big target on his back. He'll probably be 10 lbs heavier this time next year and have a few less miles on the odometer than most of the other top young guys.

Just sad he will miss the world juniors.

Man the draft talk brings out the hissy fits. The abuse people take on the board for hoping for a higher pick is sad... Just take a breath and move along. Hope the oilers win the lottery for mcdavid? Give your head a shake.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #57
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
So what exactly is a "shoulder injury"? Does is have to do with the socket? Muscles? Ligaments?
Keep going: Tendons, labrum, bursae, blood supply, nerves. The list is endless when it comes to shoulder injuries. One of the most unstable joints in the body, held mostly in place by muscles. If I had to put money on it, I'd guess torn labrum or a bunch of scar tissue after a rotator cuff tear. That's most common for an athlete. The surgery is usually not too bad, but the rehab and recovery time is fairly long, especially if it's connective tissue (tendons, ligaments etc.).
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #58
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I think there is actually a bit of good luck mixed in. Sam is still very slight... He also looked good enough to stay in the nhl skill wise which would have really ground him down. You never know what would have happened but even if he went to the OHL, i don't know if he would learn a lot more and he'll have a big target on his back. He'll probably be 10 lbs heavier this time next year and have a few less miles on the odometer than most of the other top young guys.

Just sad he will miss the world juniors.

Man the draft talk brings out the hissy fits. The abuse people take on the board for hoping for a higher pick is sad... Just take a breath and move along. Hope the oilers win the lottery for mcdavid? Give your head a shake.
Yup...
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #59
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know the wait list for ortho stuff in Canada is super long so I'm guessing the flames must be flying him down to the states and paying for the surgery if he's getting it next week?
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #60
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I know the wait list for ortho stuff in Canada is super long so I'm guessing the flames must be flying him down to the states and paying for the surgery if he's getting it next week?
They can pay for it and have it done here in Calgary if they want .... forget the name of the clinic. Cambie Clinic in Vancouver as well, probably lots of others.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote