Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #1
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon46 Flames vs. Canucks, 8 pm, CBC

Spoiler!

Can you tell how badly I want to beat these guys?

Flames: 30-22-3, 63 points, 4th in the Pacific, 8th in the West, 15th in NHL.

Canucks: 31-20-3, 65 points, 3rd in the Pacific, 7th in the West, 14th in NHL.

The bad news? The Stars, Sharks, and Canucks all won big last night. The good news? The Canucks played last night and had to get on a plane to come to the Saddledome to play tonight, and they're still within 2 points of the Flames. The Flames wake up today still in the last playoff spot in the West, but have a tenuous lead over the Wild (2 points), Kings, and Stars (3 points), with the Wild and Kings owning a game-in-hand. That should be enough motivation to get up for a hated division rival, but if the Flames need any more motivation, they only have to look at the tape from the last game against the Kings where they were manhandled for 3 periods. The pace in the West is picking up big time, and while the Flames have handled playoff style games fairly well overall, there will be more ugly nights like Thursday's unless they come prepared to fight hard every single game. It's a year of learning for this young team, and learning how to respond to the challenges is half the battle.

Tonight, they need to respond in a big way. The Canucks have traditionally given the Flames fits, and Calgary has always had a hard time beating them. They won the last match 1-0 on the back of Joni Ortio and an early Backlund tally that lasted the entire game, ending a string of 9 straight losses to the Canucks. But the Canucks were struggling offensively at that time, only managing 2 goals over 3 games. Now...not so much. They put up 5 last night on a stingy Boston team and have averaged 4.5 GF/G over their last 4 games, and 3.00 GF/G over their last 10. The good news is that they're giving up a fair amount of goals too, averaging 3.2 GA/G in their last 10. Radim Vrbata has an 8 game point streak, posting 3 goals and 6 assists over that time. Our old nemesis, Chris Higgins, has heated up posting 4 points in his last 3 games. Conversely, Nick Bonino has just 1 point in his last 9 games. Offensively speaking, the defense group for the Canucks has been challenged this year. Their top point producer on the blue line is Alex Edler with 17 points, ranked 10th on the Canucks behinds such snipers as Shawn Matthias and Brad Richardson . The Flames obviously have 4 defensemen with more points (Giordano-44, Brodie-33, Wideman-32, Russell-20), but if you add up all the points from Canucks defensemen in all games this year it would be 81. Gio and Brodie alone have 77.

As good as the Flames d-group has been, the forwards have had spotty production at times. The Flames leading forward point getter, Jiri Hudler, has struggled of late, adding just 2 points in 6 games. One would think that since Hudler has struggled, Gaudreau would also not put up as many points, but he has 4 points in his last 5 games, indicating that his success is not directly tied to Hudler's. Sean Monahan has gone pointless in his last 3 games after having 9 points in his previous 9 games. That line as a whole needs to have a better game tonight. You can't keep relying on Mason Raymond putting up 5 goals in his last 5 games, but thank god he is. Despite playing a lot with Raymond of late, Matt Stajan has just 1 point in his last 10 games. I'd like to hear cogent arguments as to why Granlund can't flat out replace him at this point. Everyone's favorite whipping boy, Curtis Glencross, is now pointless in his last 7 games. I know Glencross is just coming back from injury, and was out for nearly a month over that stretch, but he needs to start sniping a few goals. However, he's done the job defensively, with just one "minus" game in that stretch. Backlund always loves playing the Canucks, so it's good timing for him to break out of his 4 game pointless skid. Thankfully, Lance Bouma of all people has picked up some of the offensive slack with 22 points on the year, and if he scores one more goal he will be the Flames' 9th player to score double digit goals, with Glencross and Brodie sitting at 8 goals right now. One of those double digit scorers is David Jones, who has quietly put up 21 points in 42 games, and 3 points in his last 2 games, including a terrific deflection goal against L.A. On a team with so few big players with skills, Jones has been very valuable for the Flames this year.

These two teams matchup very closely in a lot of ways:
GF/G: Flames-2.84, Canucks-2.80
GA/G: Flames-2.56, Canucks-2.61
5 on 5: Flames-1.04, Canucks-0.99
PP: Flames-17.6%, Canucks-17.8%
PK: Flames-79.2%, Canucks-85.1% (ok, that's a major difference, but the Flames have really done well on the PK of late).

It's really splitting hairs as to which team is better. They have more top end forwards, we have better depth of scoring and points from defensemen. That's about it folks. It should be a close, hard fought game tonight; battling for a playoff spot in an ever tighter race. I have no doubts this will be one of the most entertaining games we've seen in a long time.

Roster Notes: The Flames don't have a lot of actual "injuries" but they are suffering from a bug that has made it's way through most of the team, and you saw how it affected them in L.A. It looks like Byron and Wolf will sit tonight, but no confirmation. The Canucks have not faired as well. Bieksa is still out long term with a broken hand (good), and they've lost Brad Richardson with a long term foot injury. Nick Bonino is still day to day with a leg injury and is not likely to play tonight. Frank Corrado is day to day with an illness. Neither goalie has been confirmed to start, and Miller did play last night in Vancouver, so logic would dictate that Lack will get a start, but who knows.

Flames
Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bouma-Backlund-Jones
Glencross-Stajan-Raymond
Bollig-Jooris-Colborne

Giordano-Brodie
Russell-Wideman
Diaz-Engelland

Hiller?

Canucks
D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Vey-Vrbata
Dorsett-Matthias-Kassian
Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Sbisa
Stanton-Clendening

Miller?

Go Flames Go!!!
Old 02-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
skcli
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As usual, excellent write-up !! Hope you have your morning coffee already
The Following User Says Thank You to skcli For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

We really need a win tonight. It is not a do or die scenario yet but it is getting closer.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
Blixa
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post

These two teams matchup very closely in a lot of ways:
GF/G: Flames-2.84, Canucks-2.80
GA/G: Flames-2.56, Canucks-2.61
5 on 5: Flames-1.04, Canucks-0.99
PP: Flames-17.6%, Canucks-17.8%
PK: Flames-79.2%, Canucks-85.1% (ok, that's a major difference, but the Flames have really done well on the PK of late).
Thank you for these excellent GDtopics. Flames has given 24 shorthanded goals and Nucks has 23 goals against. Flames spend so little time in shorthanded that low pk % isinīt big problem. Even that flames is place 26 in sv% in shorthanded.

Flames has 102 minutes more time in PP than PK, that is big reason that team is so good, even with bad corsi numbers. I would like to have real puck possession time, if flames has puck little time why they are fourth in pp time 5vs4.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
Thank you for these excellent GDtopics. Flames has given 24 shorthanded goals and Nucks has 23 goals against. Flames spend so little time in shorthanded that low pk % isinīt big problem. Even that flames is place 26 in sv% in shorthanded.

Flames has 102 minutes more time in PP than PK, that is big reason that team is so good, even with bad corsi numbers. I would like to have real puck possession time, if flames has puck little time why they are fourth in pp time 5vs4.
Because when people talk about corsi they're discussing 5v5. Ain't in pp/PK distorts the intent a little bit
Old 02-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #6
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ugh, hate to say it but..

This is a must win game...
Old 02-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

We will probably say it a lot down the stretch but biggest game of the year so far. If the Flames lose another game to the Canucks it's hard to imagine them ever catching them in the standings. I feel they will lose to them as like with the Ducks in Anaheim they haven't shown with this year's team they can break the hex and I just hope they don't make the Sedans look like superstars as they are prone to do.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
Blixa
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Because when people talk about corsi they're discussing 5v5. Ain't in pp/PK distorts the intent a little bit
Yes, but how they draw penalties, if they donīt have the puck? Like it is hard to lead hit stats if you have puck all the time.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:59 AM   #9
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm glad that we have so many tough games this month. Will give us, and more importantly the management to really gage where the team is at. This is the time playoff teams kick it into a higher gear. Hope we see the same type of game we watched against the sharks.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
Nice pic. LOL @ the goalies eyes.
I have never had as good a seats as these, and it irks me to see two "fans" clearly not paying attention to the game right in front of them.

Great write up Cali

GFG!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #11
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Please Please Please beat the Canucks!!!

I hate losing to the Canucks even more than the Oilers, and it happens far too often. I almost want the Flames to call up Ortio just for this game. He's the only Flames goalie who can matchup against them for whatever reason.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ramo in tonight. Either he has a big game and creates some goalie controversy or loses and we go back to the undisputed starter Hiller.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
We will probably say it a lot down the stretch but biggest game of the year so far. If the Flames lose another game to the Canucks it's hard to imagine them ever catching them in the standings. I feel they will lose to them as like with the Ducks in Anaheim they haven't shown with this year's team they can break the hex and I just hope they don't make the Sedans look like superstars as they are prone to do.
Except for that game where they broke the hex.
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #13
Dana Murzyn
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm so pleased this rivalry has some juice again. Those were good times, back in the day, coming to Calpuck and scrapping with you folks. Here's to more of that in the near future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dana Murzyn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #14
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The next three games are against the team immediately ahead of us, the one tied with us, and the one coming up the rear right behind us. Then the Ducks.

The outlook for the end of the season could be completely flipped by this time next week.

These games are going to be a good learning experience for the young players.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #15
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

C'mon. Play Wolf tonight!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #16
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Ortio isn't in net to provide heroics, so I see this game playing out like any other against the Canucks in recent years. Sedins are on top of their game right now and when they play like that the Flames have never been able to figure out how to defend against them. Not looking forward to this one
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #17
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
I have never had as good a seats as these, and it irks me to see two "fans" clearly not paying attention to the game right in front of them.

Great write up Cali

GFG!!!!
Those really are not good seats. I sat basically 6 rows up from there throughout my childhood. Can't see plays develop, can't see positioning. It's very easy to lose your attention there. The only thing this area is good for are fights, which don't even happen anymore. I now sit in the PL ghetto around the blue line and prefer this tremendously (for both view and social reasons - much more comfortable getting drunk n' loud).

GFG.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #18
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I know it's not rational at all, but I couldn't sleep very well last night. These games are so important. Imagine how some of the younger players must be feeling right now. Crazy time of year and crazy season so far. Go Flames!
Old 02-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #19
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
I believe that's the Zamboni entrance behind Miller, so those people are the ice crew waiting for the the next stoppage in play.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #20
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ramo should start. Hiller has been pulled in 2 of the last 3 starts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread