Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #181
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
And correct the spelling of Elliott.... I hate when fans can't spell the names of players on their own team.
Done! Sorry all was in a bit of rage when I created this thread hence the lack of spelling. No excuses though, my bad!
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #182
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't even care about the stats or how Elliot compares to other goalies.

The big problem is I just don't see how he can come back. Even if he has an amazing regular season next year with the Flames and wins the Vezina, it won't matter a lick because his teammates, the coaches, management, and fans will be super nervous in the playoffs.

THis was one of the all time greatest choke jobs by a number 1 goalie in Flames history. This wasn't 1 bad game where he let in 1 bad goal. He let in 5 bad goals over 3 games that he's team was outplaying the opposition.

It was an incredible performance and it will haunt him if he returns. It is best for Elliott and the Flames to part ways.

If he is smart, Elliot will sign in Dallas with Hitch again.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #183
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love if the Treliving could snag a good young goalie like Korpisalo or Grubaur but sure wouldn't be disappointed with Bishop either. I guess you hope that Bishop can play into his mid 30's like Lundqvist.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #184
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Or you could just remember that he was unreal in the playoffs one year ago?

He had 1 and half really bad periods in this playoffs and everyone is ready to fire him into the sun instead of taking advantage of the fact that he could be had for super cheap which lets us fill other holes on this team.

Its absolutely ridiculous that you're judging Elliott based on 4 games but you're totally cool with overpaying for UFA Ben Bishop who just came of an abysmal season himself where he failed to get not one, but two teams into the playoffs.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #185
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I'm not denying he had a bad playoffs. I don't think the correct action is to go out and sign a big name 30 year old UFA goalie whose career numbers aren't much better than Elliots (despite games played) when we have two solid goaltending prospects in the wings.

Unless of course he signs short term. Then go for it.
Term and cost will definitely be a challenge. But one other consideration: Re-signing Elliott will cost us a 2018 third rounder. Bishop will cost nothing in terms of assets.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #186
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many times do you have to explain to someone that a guy playing 60+ games putting up top tier numbers is better than a guy playing around 40 games before he quits blathering and gets it?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #187
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
How many times do you have to explain to someone that a guy playing 60+ games putting up top tier numbers is better than a guy playing around 40 games before he quits blathering and gets it?
How many times do I have to explain that signing a goalie who played 40 games with top tier numbers and is coming off a bad year for super cheap and short term is far better than signing a goalie who played 60 games with top tier numbers and is coming off a bad year for double or triple the dollars and term before you get it?
Old 04-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #188
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
How many times do I have to explain that signing a goalie who played 40 games with top tier numbers and is coming off a bad year for super cheap and short term is far better than signing a goalie who played 60 games with top tier numbers and is coming off a bad year for double or triple the dollars and term before you get it?
As recently as yesterday he stated that getting another winger was a bigger priority then a goalie.

So... there is a major disconnect with this poster.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #189
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not better when that goalie just cost you a playoff series.

Enough dumpster diving for goalies to save a buck.

Get a ####ing elite goalie signed with term and be done with it. Sure there's risk, but no more than dumpster diving and if the last 3 games didn't show you that nothing will.

I have no doubt in my mind if we had Bishop right now we'd still be watching the Flames tomorrow night, and we'd either be 2-2 or up 3-1 in this series.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #190
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
As recently as yesterday he stated that getting another winger was a bigger priority then a goalie.

So... there is a major disconnect with this poster.
Polak said that? mind blown. wow.

Elliott at 3x3 or Bishop at 5x6

years x salary

bishop...all day every day.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #191
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
It's not better when that goalie just cost you a playoff series.

Enough dumpster diving for goalies to save a buck.

Get a ####ing elite goalie signed with term and be done with it. Sure there's risk, but no more than dumpster diving and if the last 3 games didn't show you that nothing will.

I have no doubt in my mind if we had Bishop right now we'd still be watching the Flames tomorrow night, and we'd either be 2-2 or up 3-1 in this series.
It gives me incredible relief that someone else on this board shares this opinion with me.

I just don't think people realize how good Bishop really is...The dude has held his own against Price in 2 series in the playoffs.....lol.

2015 - Bishop took Tampa to the Cup Finals.
2016 - Bishop took Tampa to Eastern Conference Finals.......where he got injured in Game 1. An argument can be made that if Bishop didn't get injured and Lightning had Stamkos...they have would have beat the Penguins that series and gone on to win the Cup....instead of losing to the Penguins in 7 games.....

and right now.....there are people throwing shade at Bishop and comparing him to Brian Elliott who just choked away a playoff series......LOL!

get a grip and learn the facts.

Last edited by robaur; 04-20-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #192
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post

years x salary

And come May 2018 you'll all be bitching about the goaltending like you have been for the last 4 years, but this time you're stuck with it for big money and term.

And considering that the majority of this board supports 80-90% of the moves this franchise makes when they happen and the success this franchise has had in 28 years, maybe you shouldn't be patting yourselves on the back.

P.S. Elliot could probably be had for 3 x 2 at this point.

Last edited by polak; 04-20-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #193
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Honestly Polak, if you hate an idea, then that is evidence enough that the idea should be taken seriously
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #194
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And come May 2018 you'll all be bitching about the goaltending like you have been for the last 4 years, but this time you're stuck with it for big money and term.
No matter who the Flames sign or trade for as a goalie we might be bitching about it again like we have for the last 4 years, but that doesn't change the fact that Bishop is the best out what we realistically have to pick from and since none of us can predict the future then the best bet is to go with the best goalie.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #195
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Take MAF for free if he'll come here.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #196
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post

years x salary

I would choose Bishop as well but years and salary will cause issues with the salary cap in 2-3 years with Bennett and Tkachuk requiring new contract. I expect Bennett to get a bridge contract this summer. Also, Bishop is an extra dman with his puck handling skills which will help the rush.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #197
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1. We need the best goalie available this offseason
2. We need the best forward available this offseason
3. We need the best dman available this offseason

It's time to take the next step and turn this team into a legit division contender and good enough for a deep run in the playoffs. Next year is going to be Year #5 of the rebuild.....how time flies....its right on schedule.

We have the cap space available and the flexibility. Combine that with the youth from Stockton to fill out the bottom 3 fowards and bottom pairing dmen.....that's what you do going into next season.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #198
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Two goalies, similar career stats, similar ages, similar highs, similar lows, both with glaring issues in their game, both once having success on VERY defence-oriented squads, neither having won a single thing, both happily replaced by their teams as they're in their prime with younger goalies, both coming off bad seasons...

Yet the one who couldn't help either team he was on get to the playoffs is elite, and the guy who couldn't get his team past the first round is talked about like garbage.

But no, it'll work. Let's pay Bishop 5m+ over 5y+ because despite being marginally better than Elliott we call him "elite."

I don't mind either goalie, but pretending like there is chasm between their individual ability levels is just not true by any measure. At this point I'd be happy with neither.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #199
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Two goalies, similar career stats, similar ages, similar highs, similar lows, both with glaring issues in their game, both once having success on VERY defence-oriented squads, neither having won a single thing, both happily replaced by their teams as they're in their prime with younger goalies, both coming off bad seasons...

Yet the one who couldn't help either team he was on get to the playoffs is elite, and the guy who couldn't get his team past the first round is talked about like garbage.

But no, it'll work. Let's pay Bishop 5m+ over 5y+ because despite being marginally better than Elliott we call him "elite."

I don't mind either goalie, but pretending like there is chasm between their individual ability levels is just not true by any measure. At this point I'd be happy with neither.
Since when is Tampa a defensively orientated squad? Maybe this year when injuries forced them to be (I don't know I didn't follow), but they sure weren't the past few years before that. Run and gun with offensive defencemen. Elliott wouldn't have lasted a year in that system.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #200
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

none of those things are true for Bishop. Nice try.

1. similar low? I just saw him struggling last season on a very depleted, injury-riddled tampa team.

2. very defence oriented? tampa is not a very defence oriented system...lol have u even watched them? they were terrible this past year in their own end. they are as much defence oriented as any other team in the league.

3. not having won a single thing? bishop went to cup finals and eastern finals in back to back seasons...most likely would have gone back to back cup finals and been a cup champion if not for injury.

4. happily replaced? um tampa had cap problems....you want bishop/vasi and no kucherov OR vasi and kucherov?

Last edited by robaur; 04-20-2017 at 05:14 PM.