Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #261
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Ex-NFL star Aaron Hernandez, who is already serving a life sentence for a 2013 murder, was acquitted Friday in a 2012 double slaying that prosecutors said was fueled by his anger over a spilled drink.

The jury found Hernandez not guilty of first-degree murder in the killings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado. It convicted him on a single charge: unlawful possession of gun. The judge sentenced him to an additional four to five years in prison, separate from his existing life sentence, for that conviction.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...e-murder-trial
Old 04-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #262
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks like Lynch is indeed going to be a Raider.

Quote:
Marshawn Lynch is one step closer to playing for his hometown team. According to Michael Silver of the NFL Network, the veteran running back has agreed to a new contract with the Raiders, which sets the stage for him to be traded from the Seahawks.

That part of it shouldn’t be hard, as General Managers John Schneider and Reggie McKenzie have a good enough relationship to make that part of the deal little more than a formality. They worked together with the Packers before ascending to their current posts, and the compensation shouldn’t be all that much.

The Seahawks don’t want Lynch on their books, and the Raiders seem to have figured out a way to make the money work on their end.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...h-the-raiders/
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #263
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently not.

Quote:
Shawn Lynch‏Verified account
@MoneyLynch
If u kno me you kno my business is my business and if u don't kno me that's a fun fact for ya... when #### get REAL I'll let you kno!!!!
https://twitter.com/MoneyLynch/statu...95474877435904

Quote:
A source with knowledge of the situation separately tells PFT that the Raiders and Lynch are “not even close to a deal yet.”

Meanwhile, Dave “Softy” Mahler of KJR in Seattle said on the air within the past 20 minutes that agent Doug Hendrickson texted Mahler from Costa Rica to say there’s no deal.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nto-confusion/
Old 04-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #264
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Todd Heap accidentally hits, kills 3-year-old daughter while moving truck

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...r-moving-truck

I can't imagine how horrible that must be from the family. Unfortunately this happens more than you would think with young children around large trucks. I know someone that backed over and killed a young girl in a driveway last year. It was a friend of the family and he's to this day still messed up and not doing well. You really have to be extremely careful with a 4x4 truck around small children.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #265
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Tom Brady deflates balls and we get wall-to-wall coverage. Eli Manning defrauds fans and hardly a peep outside of new york.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 06:02 PM   #266
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pats CB Malcolm Butler finally signs his RFA tender with N.E. Now the trade speculation can officially begin. Let's see if this Butler to N.O. thing is actually gonna happen, or if it was just a bunch of B.S.

I'd happily give back N.O.'s 32nd OA pick they got from the Pats for Cooks, if that's what they want. Then the trade essentially becomes Cooks and a 4th for Butler and a 3rd. I'm down with that. But I also wouldn't be shocked if this trade never materializes
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:59 AM   #267
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aaron Hernandez has committed suicide.

Quote:
Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots star who was convicted of murder, was found hanged Wednesday morning in the Massachusetts prison where he was serving a life sentence, officials said.

The death of Hernandez, 27, comes just days after he was acquitted in a separate murder case.

Hernandez "was discovered hanged in his cell by corrections officers at the Souza Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley Massachusetts at approximately 3:05 a.m.," the Massachusetts Department of Correction said.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/19/us...inkId=36653659
Old 04-19-2017, 05:06 AM   #268
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe he finally realized he threw his life and tens of millions away all in the name of "keeping it real".
Old 04-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #269
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

RIP buddy; I remember the good days when you did help me in a few key weeks on my to way to a fantasy football championship in 2010 or 2011.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #270
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fitting end I suppose seeing how he was a man that had little regard for the lives of others. Hollywood over the years has glamorized gangsters but really there's nothing glamorous about the gangster life. It's an empty life filled with tragedy and death. Good riddance.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #271
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm not going to mourn him, the football part of his life is irrelevant.

He made choices and they were his choices to kill and he at the end of the day couldn't either live with the prospect of life in a 8x8 cell or with his choices and he took the easy way out.

So long ahole.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #272
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting a little weird now. Of course the story is only a few hours old so that's not unexpected.

His family (who are no doubt in shock/grieving) say he was looking forward to turning his life around, and would not have killed himself. I don't know how you turn your life around when you are in prison for the rest of it, but who knows. There was no suicide note and the reporter (on CBC) seemed to hint that there was suspicion about that.

An earlier story said he had barricaded his own door from the inside, which would seem to rule out anyone else was involved.

The guy was living the dream and had such a future and then just blew it about as bad as you can possibly blow it. I don't think a note is necessary to understand why he would end it all.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #273
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

This certainly is odd.

Comes just days after he was acquitted of 2 murders and I just read about how him and his lawyers were turning their focus on working towards having the 3rd murder acquitted and that they were confident it would happen. So part 1 is successful and he kills himself before part 2 begins? On the surface this reeks.

No comment on the person or on guilt/innocence, but this incident in isolation just makes very little sense, at least from the outside.
Jiggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #274
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a waste. Born with talent and he certainly worked hard to actually make the show and then he throws it all away.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #275
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
This certainly is odd.

Comes just days after he was acquitted of 2 murders and I just read about how him and his lawyers were turning their focus on working towards having the 3rd murder acquitted and that they were confident it would happen. So part 1 is successful and he kills himself before part 2 begins? On the surface this reeks.

No comment on the person or on guilt/innocence, but this incident in isolation just makes very little sense, at least from the outside.
Makes a lot of sense to me. We hear about people that commit suicide all the time where few people around them realized they were really depressed. Given he's had a lot of time behind bars to contemplate what he's done, it's possible his last time in court in front of mourning families finally started registering in his mind what he had become. I get that people these days love conspiracy theories but given his cell was barricaded from the inside it would have had to be orchestrated by someone in the inside (working in the prison) which is a little far fetched (although not impossible).
Old 04-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #276
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Makes a lot of sense to me. We hear about people that commit suicide all the time where few people around them realized they were really depressed. Given he's had a lot of time behind bars to contemplate what he's done, it's possible his last time in court in front of mourning families finally started registering in his mind what he had become. I get that people these days love conspiracy theories but given his cell was barricaded from the inside it would have had to be orchestrated by someone in the inside (working in the prison) which is a little far fetched (although not impossible).
For sure. I can't pretend to begin to understand the minds of people who commit suicide so all I can go off is the situation. The timing just seems weird, not that that means anything fishy happened.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #277
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I highly doubt he was going to be acquitted in a successful appeal. The case he was convicted in was pretty airtight. He probably realized this as well, and after a couple years to stew about his stupidity he decided to end it.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #278
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

I don't think people have to take a side in their mind and feel happy or sad about any of this. It does make for an intriguing story regardless of personal feelings.
alan21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #279
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
The timing just seems weird
does it? Not even sure about that. Now that the second trial was over, what's left ahead outside of many, many, many years in prison? I won't even try to understand what a person in that situation might feel, but given that parole was not possible and he basically had nothing left to look forward to, I can't say it looks fishy to me. He certainly isn't the first and won't be the last prisoner with lifelong sentences to commit suicide.

The whole story is just a tragedy. A top talent at 20. Multi millionaire at 22. A father at 23. Sentenced to life at 25. Suicide at 27. Just really a sad story all around, and it's a shame that a young person with so much talent turns around and causes so much pain and suffering.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #280
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
does it? Not even sure about that. Now that the second trial was over, what's left ahead outside of many, many, many years in prison? I won't even try to understand what a person in that situation might feel, but given that parole was not possible and he basically had nothing left to look forward to, I can't say it looks fishy to me. He certainly isn't the first and won't be the last prisoner with lifelong sentences to commit suicide.

The whole story is just a tragedy. A top talent at 20. Multi millionaire at 22. A father at 23. Sentenced to life at 25. Suicide at 27. Just really a sad story all around, and it's a shame that a young person with so much talent turns around and causes so much pain and suffering.
Only saying that because of what I read today, that him and his lawyers were now persuing an acquittal of the other murder and were "optimistic" of their chances. No clue if that optimism is founded on anything but after hearing that, I felt like the timing seemed odd.

But I don't know nearly enough about any of this to really think that way other than just what I read today. So that's all the reasoning I've got.