Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #121
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I agree. Oilers fans respect Flames fans and the rivalry and there's good ribbing going back and forth but at the end of the night, there's a handshake or even a hug and we call it a night. I remember one New Year's Eve I shooked so many Oilers fans hands at the Dome and wished them a happy new year. This was 09? Can't remember. Oilers lost 6-4 and even they weren't that douchy about it.

Canucks fans are nobodies and respect nobody. Just bad people.
Even though it goes back a couple decades now for both teams, there was always a mutual respect between the Flames and Oilers. You had two teams in the mid-late 80's that were typically the best two teams in the NHL, and unfortunately, they were just always that little bit and usually a lot bit better up north. They iced a generational team, that will likely go down as the greatest NHL team that was ever assembled. A roster of All Stars. Oilers fans were so lucky to have that, and any self respecting Flames fan will admit it, the were that damn good. It only made finally getting that cup, so much sweeter after all those epic battles. Yeah they have 5 cups, and we only have one, but just that one still gets us in the club of having a championship team. And there is that respect.

The Canucks on the other hand, were pretty much never a factor, and pretty much nobody gave a crap about them back then. They were just this crappy team, with awful uniforms from the coast. Basically a speed bump in the playoffs. I think the fact that in 04 with Calgary, and 06 with Edmonton, and 07 with Ottawa going to the finals, and the entire Country rallying behind those teams, says a lot. (Heck, I was even secretly hoping the Oilers would take out the Hurricanes.)

When The Canucks made it there, it was crickets. Pretty much the entire nation was routing against them. What was the biggest reason that came up? Diving? Nope. Biting? Nope. Kneeing opponents in the groin and pulling hair only like a prostitute would do in a back alley fight next to a dumpster on Hastings St? Not even that. It was the fans, and their attitude like they are somehow the greatest team that ever laced up skates that people would always cite as the reason they couldn't rally with them. Even my 65 year old mother will cheer anything Canadian would ask "What is wrong with those people? Are they insane? What is with the green penis showing guys? Is that supposed to be funny?"

The fan base has zero humility, and cannot for one second accept any sort of criticism or fault in their team. Well that, and the whole violence and burning things when they lose. They have no ability to take their own inventory. They have zero ability for self deprecation. It is all homerism, all the time, no matter what.

Until they shed that mentality, they will be universally hated.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #122
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
only problem I've had with nearly every fan of an opposing team is Red Wings fans... which is weird because I like their team... and their fans in most forums are always fine.
You know, I hear this a lot and I don't get it. Most of the Wings fans you'd see in opposing arenas have zero connection to Detroit and are just Red Wings fans because it's an O6 team that was good fun to watch throughout the 90's. For me Yzerman was always my favourite player. There's no real common bond other than that, so there's no reason why Wings fans should have a higher proportion of DBags than any other team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
When The Canucks made it there, it was crickets. Pretty much the entire nation was routing against them. What was the biggest reason that came up? Diving? Nope. Biting? Nope. Kneeing opponents in the groin and pulling hair only like a prostitute would do in a back alley fight next to a dumpster on Hastings St? Not even that. It was the fans, and their attitude like they are somehow the greatest team that ever laced up skates that people would always cite as the reason they couldn't rally with them.
Personally I heard every other thing you listed - diving, dirty play, arrogant DB players as much or more than the complaints about the fans so I think you're wrong about that. But the other BIG difference between them and the Flames / Oil / Senators runs was that the Canucks were the overwhelming favourite to win the cup all year long. It's just much easier to cheer for an underdog when you have to cheer for someone other than your team. I mean slightly less so in the Sens' case, but in 07 Sens fans were every bit as obnoxious as any hockey fans I've ever witnessed; they were like Leafs fans without the balancing factor of the bitter core that develops when you lose for 40+ years in a row, and I certainly recall a lot of people rooting against them and for Perry / Getzlaf.

Last edited by 19Yzerman19; 10-07-2013 at 12:30 PM.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #123
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fans should be separated and put in away sections. It would add a better atmosphere. The last couple of times I've been in the dome I've say beside away fans and there is nothing more annoying than the person beside you shouting woooooo right in your ear.

I'd probably end up punching a Canucks fan if I was beside one
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #124
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Where is Troutman and his "DON'T SELL YOUR TICKETS TO CANUCK FANS!!!" hehe
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #125
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I guess I was lucky last night, all the Canucks fans I encountered were friendly and good spirited. One who was even forced to high-five a Flames fan after we went up 3-1 made sure he got a high-five back when the Canucks went up 4-3.

I usually agree with most of the posts in this thread. I avoid Canucks games if I can at all help it, and I actually didn't pick the home opener in our ticket draft because it was a Canucks game. (One of the guys who had tickets had something come up last minute; that's why I went last night.)

Now, I didn't venture too far from my seats for most of the game, so maybe it was just my section?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #126
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
It is a scientific fact that they are bad. Why are they bad?

As British Columbians they are geographically isolated from the rest of North America. They feel ignored. They have been a terrible franchise for most of their existence. Now that they finally have a good team they hunger for attention. They also abuse substances.
I'm born and raised in BC and have never considered the Canucks to be "our" team. Their Vancouvers team, not BCs
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #127
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's true, Calgary has its idiots too.

But the ratio of idiot "fan" to civilized fan is far greater in that fan base. Seen and heard enough in my years to know.

Calgary lose in a hard fought finals and there's some rowdiness where the cops need to step in, but overall still a feeling of celebration of what was achieved. Canucks lose twice and twice their city becomes a war zone. If that doesn't say enough, I don't know what does.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #128
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
The Canucks on the other hand, were pretty much never a factor, and pretty much nobody gave a crap about them back then. They were just this crappy team, with awful uniforms from the coast. Basically a speed bump in the playoffs. I think the fact that in 04 with Calgary, and 06 with Edmonton, and 07 with Ottawa going to the finals, and the entire Country rallying behind those teams, says a lot. (Heck, I was even secretly hoping the Oilers would take out the Hurricanes.)

When The Canucks made it there, it was crickets. Pretty much the entire nation was routing against them. What was the biggest reason that came up? Diving? Nope. Biting? Nope. Kneeing opponents in the groin and pulling hair only like a prostitute would do in a back alley fight next to a dumpster on Hastings St? Not even that. It was the fans, and their attitude like they are somehow the greatest team that ever laced up skates that people would always cite as the reason they couldn't rally with them. Even my 65 year old mother will cheer anything Canadian would ask "What is wrong with those people? Are they insane? What is with the green penis showing guys? Is that supposed to be funny?"

The fan base has zero humility, and cannot for one second accept any sort of criticism or fault in their team. Well that, and the whole violence and burning things when they lose. They have no ability to take their own inventory. They have zero ability for self deprecation. It is all homerism, all the time, no matter what.

Until they shed that mentality, they will be universally hated.
Yup and it's just this Vancouver team. The country was behind them in 1994. There wasn't the whole "canadian team winning the cup" since Canadian teams dominated the last 2 decades. Maybe it was because it was the huge underdog against big bad New York? But that Vancouver team was pretty fun to watch (yes I know Bure knocked out the Flames). And I'm sure Canucks fans who went to the Saddledome the night of Game 7 were just fine, as they were in 89.

The 2011 team and now? just a bunch of babies.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #129
clancy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
It's true, Calgary has its idiots too.

But the ratio of idiot "fan" to civilized fan is far greater in that fan base. Seen and heard enough in my years to know.

Calgary lose in a hard fought finals and there's some rowdiness where the cops need to step in, but overall still a feeling of celebration of what was achieved. Canucks lose twice and twice their city becomes a war zone. If that doesn't say enough, I don't know what does.

Was actually explaining to a Canuck fan why they are widely viewed as the worst. I brought up the riots as an example. He said, and I quote "that happens in every city when their team loses".
I explained that it doesn't. For example, take Calgary in 04. He was adamant that yes indeed, we did have a major riot in Calgary after the 04 loss.
Who knew??
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #130
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

I can understand hating the Vancouver Canucks...

But, boy oh boy... is this board ever full of Canuck fan haters. I bet 99% of Canuck fans are no different than Flames fans but that 99% gets painted with the same brush as the other 1% by CP'ers.
Time for CP members to step up and show some class.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rerun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #131
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post

But, boy oh boy... is this board ever full of Canuck fan haters. I bet 99% of Canuck fans are no different than Flames fans but that 99% gets painted with the same brush as the other 1% by CP'ers.
Generally speaking fans of other teams seem to support our hatred of Canuck fans and you'll find they think along the same lines as us. Canuck fans are pretty scuzzy and we're not the only ones who think it.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #132
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I guess that Vancouver Riot was just a fantasy. Not real life.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #133
ParaguayPlett
Draft Pick

It's not like they're well liked in Vancouver either. It's probably a plethora of "bridge and tunnel" types (Surrey, Cloverdale, New West etc.).

REAL Vancouver Canucks fans pay way too much money for tickets in the lower bowl that is empty by the ten minute mark of the third period.

"Grab your leather jacket honey, it's time for us to drive back to Yaletown in the car we can't afford, to the overpriced condo we can't get rid of."
Old 10-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #134
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Did you know? The Pig and Duke is a Canucks bar. Didn't know that until the other night, and almost got into it with one of the patrons (Canuck fans) who had the audacity to ask me "where's your jersey? Fo you even know where you are right now?" Yeah.... Calgary, you stupid idiot.

Won't be going back there anymore.
Ramen brother, I won't be going back there either.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #135
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
You know, I hear this a lot and I don't get it. Most of the Wings fans you'd see in opposing arenas have zero connection to Detroit and are just Red Wings fans because it's an O6 team that was good fun to watch throughout the 90's. For me Yzerman was always my favourite player. There's no real common bond other than that, so there's no reason why Wings fans should have a higher proportion of DBags than any other team.
Choosing a team that isn't the hometown team suggests a group of people that likes to antagonize. At the very least, self-selected groups tend to share common traits, and dbaggery could easily be one of those traits.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #136
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
I guess that Vancouver Riot was just a fantasy. Not real life.
Plural Bertuzzied
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #137
Wedge
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I live in Vancouver and can attest to the fact that these "Canuck fan haters" are not wrong. As much as you feel that you hate the Canucks while living in Calgary, try living here. The only part of the Canuck entity that challenges the terrible fans is the media here ... thus you are exposed to ####e everywhere you go.

One positive I've noticed is that many people I know out here are off the Canuck bandwagon ... some once-Canuck fans are recognizing the scumbag players, stupid gm, integrity lacking style of play, criminal fan base, pathetic marketing campaign, puppet media, and embarrassing history.
Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #138
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember one game a few seasons ago he Flames beat the Canucks and a group of 4 or 5 Canuck fans were skipping around the concourse with their arms around each other chanting "playoffs playoffs playoffs". I hate the Oilers more than the Canucks, but I hate Canuck fans more than Oiler fans.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #139
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:

Have you not read most of the posts here? Most times I look forward to games against our heated rivals. In fact the back and forth can add some fun to experience. After the final horn, win or lose, Oiler fans, Leaf fans, Canadien fans can give you a fist bump and a "Good game". And even have some meaningful dialogue about the game. Canuck fans seem to want to fist bump your face, because of all the pent up rage they seem to harbour as a result of cheering for one of the biggest failures in NHL the last 40 years.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #140
Kaine
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just got home from a very long day at work (gotta make the mandatory 6 figure CP salary somehow) and this thread really put a smile on my face. CP is awesome.
Kaine is offline   Reply With Quote