Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #1221
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well firing him would be a bit much (can they really do better?), but yes he has made his choice to focus on the league. If they secure top 4, no one is going to care about the FA Cup result. Kinda says it all though that there's significantly more value in a 4th place league finish than winning the domestic cup. But there is obviously.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #1222
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Well firing him would be a bit much (can they really do better?)
If they don't make top 4 given the advantage they have over everyone else, would it?

What's so great about him that makes you feel firing him would be over the top?

Apart from the fact that, yes, they would have trouble attracting anyone else half decent?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #1223
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well yeah that should kind of be the decider right? If they can't actually get a better manager, no point in firing him. He's still not even 2 full years into the job too, so how could you attract a decent candidate when you fired a decent coach without giving him much time?
Old 01-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #1224
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If they can't actually get a better manager, no point in firing him.
Define "better"?

Because what I'm reading is that statistically Moyes was a better manager at United than Klopp is at Liverpool.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #1225
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well yeah that should kind of be the decider right? If they can't actually get a better manager, no point in firing him. He's still not even 2 full years into the job too, so how could you attract a decent candidate when you fired a decent coach without giving him much time?
In North American sports maybe not in European football

Big clubs will always attract he big names, if they fire Klopp they would have their choice of almost anyone
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #1226
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hes unquestionably had a bad run of results, but I dont think they're anywhere near the 'sack Klopp' conversation.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #1227
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hes unquestionably had a bad run of results, but I dont think they're anywhere near the 'sack Klopp' conversation.
I think that most of us on here are quite happy with how things are going for Liverpool! (It would be nice if you guys get it together and take down Chelsea though)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #1228
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think that most of us on here are quite happy with how things are going for Liverpool! (It would be nice if you guys get it together and take down Chelsea though)
Hey...we have full points against Chelsea so far.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-28-2017, 08:43 PM   #1229
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Firing him is nuts

If he can't fix the defense this summer though that is two summers to do so and the PL is not Dortmund in Germany, where the talent gap is big enough

A great offense will have ups and downs, but defense can stay consistent and grind out results, this Liverpool team and same with city can't do that this year
Old 01-28-2017, 09:43 PM   #1230
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

We were playing really nice, fast flowing football a few months back. It just seems that everyone else has copped on to how to defend against that by stacking the defense and we have no answer to it. This month has been frustrating to watch. We pass and pass and pass and pass in front of their defence, have no way of breaking them down, so pass out to the wing in the hopes that someone might get on the end of a cross. Rinse and repeat. This was a second string team put out there today, but even the first teamers have failed to impress lately. Not one player. Credit to Wolves though. They played exciting, fast, counter attacking football - the kind we used to play.

I'm dreading the potential slaughter at the hands of Chelsea.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:42 AM   #1231
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

the diva is getting his wish.

West Ham United ✔ ‏@WestHamUtd
West Ham United can confirm that a £25m fee has today been agreed for the transfer of Dimitri Payet to Olympique de Marseille
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #1232
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
the diva is getting his wish.

West Ham United ✔ ‏@WestHamUtd
West Ham United can confirm that a £25m fee has today been agreed for the transfer of Dimitri Payet to Olympique de Marseille
It's not that he's leaving, but it's how childish and ungrateful Payet has been through this whole saga that is most disappointing.

Paying ten million pounds for a player to sell him for twenty five million a couple years later? Not bad.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #1233
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
It's not that he's leaving, but it's how childish and ungrateful Payet has been through this whole saga that is most disappointing.

Paying ten million pounds for a player to sell him for twenty five million a couple years later? Not bad.
Sure, I guess. Only just a few weeks ago they were saying there was no way they were selling him, and then they were only selling him for 35...and then they "replaced" one 30 year old with no options for two other 30 year olds in Fontes and Snodgrass. I suppose that's progress.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #1234
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
no doubt. With his body language over the last weeks or even months, I wouldn't have blamed Bilic if he had decided to staple him to the bench. Totally unprofessional behaviour, he's let the team down in many ways.

Fonte and Snodgrass are really good PL proven players though. West Ham have come out of this okay-ish, I'd say.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #1235
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Sure, I guess. Only just a few weeks ago they were saying there was no way they were selling him...
Well, of course. That had to be said publicly as a statement that the club didn't approve of Payet's course of action, and it also preserved the faintest chance that Payet might stay.

Realistically, the whole world knew how it would work out right from the get-go.

No one in their right mind would deny missing Payet's skill, but it does sound like he was a bit of a locker room cancer with a big ego.

West Ham will be OK.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #1236
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
no doubt. With his body language over the last weeks or even months, I wouldn't have blamed Bilic if he had decided to staple him to the bench.
I agree completely. He would turn over the ball to an opposing player only a couple feet away, and he wouldn't make the slightest effort to try to recover. Payer's heart was never really in it this season, and that is a shame.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #1237
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
no doubt. With his body language over the last weeks or even months, I wouldn't have blamed Bilic if he had decided to staple him to the bench. Totally unprofessional behaviour, he's let the team down in many ways.

Fonte and Snodgrass are really good PL proven players though. West Ham have come out of this okay-ish, I'd say.
I think that there is another side to this though. They moved to this new stadium and made all kinds of promises that this would vault them to the next level and they were going to bring in top class talent. Instead they brought in a number of players on loan, and effectively added no one for Payet to play with. Then the club literally goes begging for more loan players to start this window. What happened to the "world class" club they had supposedly become? It's hard to say that WHU held up their end of the deal here, and that has to impact the disillusionment of Payet.

Add to that that he isn't leaving for another PL club, and is probably taking a pay cut to get back to France. He has a family and probably just had a hard time in London from a personal perspective.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #1238
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, getting rid of a pouty player that quit on his team and making some money at the same time is about as good as it gets on this.

Theres lots of blame to go around, West Ham arent blameless.

But the fact of the matter is that yes, Fonte and Snodgrass are Premier League players, they are what they are, they'll not likely lead a title charge but they'll keep you up and keep you mid-table.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:49 PM   #1239
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
But the fact of the matter is that yes, Fonte and Snodgrass are Premier League players, they are what they are, they'll not likely lead a title charge but they'll keep you up and keep you mid-table.
Given what a gong show this season has been for the Hammers, I'll certainly be content with that.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:43 AM   #1240
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need to stabilise this season so it's smart to do what they are

Reassess in the summer