Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-21-2017, 12:06 AM   #3321
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
The Pride Parade is becoming ridiculous. LGBT people are so ingrained in the social fabric and yet they need to put this event on every year. They are fighting yesteryear's battle.
I was going to write a quip about how we no longer need Remembrance Day because we already beat the Nazis, but... well...

Seriously though, pride parades started out as a commemoration and as such it is reasonable to expect them to continue in such a capacity even if they lose relevance as a platform for activism.
Save
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:12 AM   #3322
JFK
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Okay fellow gays, the staunch almost cartoon'ish conservative told us our battle is over, put away the flags and dildos.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #3323
Fighting Banana Slug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any indication that the UCP will agree to the training/seminars? I would think that should be a no-brainer if they really want to be part of the parade and distance themselves from the more extreme elements of the party. It would score more points for me, than sitting on a stupid float, waving to on-lookers.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #3324
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Pride Parade is becoming ridiculous. LGBT people are so ingrained in the social fabric and yet they need to put this event on every year. They are fighting yesteryear's battle.

They are normal, valued, and equal citizens. They are our friends and neighbors. Time to end this rather needles weekend.
The LGBT community have always been friends and neighbors. In many cases forced to hide who they are.

Your comments come across as trite and grossly uninformed. I think when any minororty group speaks of their experience, it behooves others to listen. The battle you refer to as "won" is still raging. How else would you explain things like the teen suicide rate for LGBT youth?

EDIT: Added another case study
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
What the heck

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/21/politi...nts/index.html

Trump nominee Sam Clovis: 'As far as we know' homosexuality's a choice, 'logical' LGBT protections could lead to legalization of pedophilia

When a questioner said some might call what Clovis' words extreme -- comparing the approval of same-sex protections to allowing pedophilia. Clovis said it was "logical."

"I don't think it's extreme," said Clovis. "I think it's a logical extension of thought. And if you cannot follow the logic then you're denying your in denial."

In the same blog post, Clovis said religious freedom meant business should be able to not hire LGBT people if it conflicted with their religious belief.

Last edited by Yeah_Baby; 08-21-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #3325
vennegoor of hesselink
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Spotted in Strathmore. https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com..._derek_fildoh/

vennegoor of hesselink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vennegoor of hesselink For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 09:09 PM   #3326
Tinordi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They are normal, valued, and equal citizens. They are our friends and neighbors. Time to end this rather needles weekend.
Just when you a thought a poster couldn't get more cartoonish.

Why do the Boston Irish continue to celebrate St Patty's day? I mean the Irish are ingrained in the social fabric, and have finally achieved normal and valued status. Time they end this needless celebrating.