Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #2141
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bruins media is teeing off on Iggy as expected. Here's Felger with big fat Tony Amonte

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-tal...a-just-blew-it
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #2142
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
What struck me when Iggy made those comments about how well Pittsburgh was run and their great culture was that many of those things should have been under his influence as the leader of the Flames. It was his room for the last decade, and yet you hear Conroy talk about guys like Glencross and Giordano leaving Hanowski sitting in the room by himself. That to me is part of the legacy Iggy left behind.
I don't disagree with much of this, but I also think the failure is on the Flames to bring in the right types to help Iggy lead. Leadership on a team will never come from one source, and just like the on ice play, it seems as though this organization relied too much on Iggy for leadership (although maybe that's just what happens when you become such the face of the franchise, others sit back too much).

In the example you give, I bet 8 years ago Iggy probably did some rings differently, and there were other leaders around to help too, Lowery, Gelinas, Amonte, Nolan, Reg.... But as time went by I bet everyone just looked to Iggy for everything leadership related, and no one else ever stepped up to pick up some the duties. I'm sure Iggy couldn't do it all and things got missed. This org became way too much about Iginla, and I'm not sure that's all his fault.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #2143
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow, Tony has really gotten big.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #2144
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bruins media?

Not going to bother watching that.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #2145
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holly crap, Amonte used to look to skinny on the ice!
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #2146
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

hahahahahha FU cooke! go retire you piece of crap!!!

ugh internet is so slow in Saskatoon... hahaha
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #2147
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
hahahahahha FU cooke! go retire you piece of crap!!!

ugh internet is so slow in Saskatoon... hahaha
Have another
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #2148
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wow, the joy at Iggy losing and the comments directed his way in this thread are surprising and just sad. And I bet these clowns will be standing and cheering and talking about what a touching moment it is when he returns to Calgary with some other team next season.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #2149
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
and yet you hear Conroy talk about guys like Glencross and Giordano leaving Hanowski sitting in the room by himself.
totally missed that. When did he say that?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #2150
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
totally missed that. When did he say that?
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...9&postcount=75
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ki#post4264429
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #2151
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Couldn't agree more!

He is gone, lets move on with our lives! The Iginla fans can come back when they have a ceremony for him but as of right now,

Suck it Iginla! Cause the CALGARY FLAMES just moved up a spot
This jilted lover crap is wearing on thin. If you really moved on from the Iginla trade stop acting so butthurt
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jeffman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #2152
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't surprise me. They've looked stiff and self-conscious on the ice the last few years as well. Like they're too sheepish to play for each other. Tough to become a "wolf pack" if everyone is inside their own bubbles.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #2153
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
Doesn't surprise me. They've looked stiff and self-conscious on the ice the last few years as well. Like they're too sheepish to play for each other. Tough to become a "wolf pack" if everyone is inside their own bubbles.
Warrener has commented that this is a team where the players go home at night to the suburbs with their families. Comfortable for the older guys. Maybe not the most inspiring atmosphere for young guys though.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #2154
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was hoping Iginla would do more. I was really cheering for him.

I wanted Iggy to show up and kick some ass. It was actually a little sad seeing him show up and be barely a bit-part player.

Everyone who knows me knows that Philly is my 2nd team so I'd have much preferred Boston for Iggy.

It was kind of humbling. I was kind of hoping he'd show up in Pittsburgh and everyone would think 'this is a playoff guy.'

The Pens with Iggy going down with a whimper? Damn. That was humiliating. It was hard to take. It was hard to watch a hero go down like that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #2155
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Warrener has commented that this is a team where the players go home at night to the suburbs with their families. Comfortable for the older guys. Maybe not the most inspiring atmosphere for young guys though.
Look at the veteran leadership they've had - guys that are inside their own worlds. I definitely think that reflects on everyone's game on the ice as well. It's a bigger issue than just making the young players feel included. They can't be inside their bubbles off the ice and then suddenly turn into a pack of wolves when they hit the ice.

Even Iginla is a guy who just worries about his own game, focuses on himself 100%, to the point where he periodically seems to lose his game instincts.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #2156
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

thank you! Hadn't read that thread before, thought something for season ticket holders wouldn't be interesting to me just going through all that info now, can't believe I missed all that.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #2157
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

From the Penguins' Instagram.

RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #2158
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate all this BS about how well run the Penguins were and how they built through the draft as a model franchise.

They were freaking bankrupt, had to get saved by a former player, and even then the only reason they surived was because they were gifted the best NHLer since Gretzky and Lemieux in a rigged lottery.

They are no model franchise. Hell it is going to be a major disappointment if they turn the primes of Crosby and Malkins career together into only one cup. IMO Boston, L.A., Chicago, Detroit, etc are all better run franchises than the Pens.

Pens just were handed two generational talents, not really a model for other teams to follow.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-09-2013 at 12:07 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #2159
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Actually I think it's fair to have been pissed at Iggy. There are some legitimate reasons, overblown or not. He definitely sugar coated the Pens organization every time he was asked. And was already contrasting the two teams just mere weeks in. IMO a guy with his supposed class shouldn't do that to his former team. Seems he tries so hard to please whatever company he is surrounded by, even if it means throwing others (in this case Calgary) under the bus. His press conference after the trade didn't impress me either, for all that the city has provided him and the time he's spent here, he didn't come off to me as sentimental, like everyone else who showed up for him, but purely excited to move on, and get out. (kind of don't blame him, but still... 16 years.)

And the Boston deal was clearly the better of the two. Fact is he put himself before the team in the end. And he made the wrong choice in doing so. Was too star struck by Pitts and thought he'd have a fairy tale ending there. Ah well, Jarome..

I like the guy still, but I just don't respect him as much now.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #2160
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Actually I think it's fair to have been pissed at Iggy. There are some legitimate reasons, overblown or not. He definitely sugar coated the Pens organization every time he was asked. And was already contrasting the two teams just mere weeks in. IMO a guy with his supposed class shouldn't do that to his former team. Seems he tries so hard to please whatever company he is surrounded by, even if it means throwing others (in this case Calgary) under the bus. His press conference after the trade didn't impress me either, for all that the city has provided him and the time he's spent here, he didn't come off to me as sentimental, like everyone else who showed up for him, but purely excited to move on, and get out. (kind of don't blame him, but still... 16 years.)

And the Boston deal was clearly the better of the two. Fact is he put himself before the team in the end. And he made the wrong choice in doing so. Was too star struck by Pitts and thought he'd have a fairy tale ending there. Ah well, Jarome..

I like the guy still, but I just don't respect him as much now.
Yeah, he clearly moved on fast and didn't look back. I'm happy for the past years we had with him, but he killed any sentimental attachment.

Probably for the best though.