Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Edmonton Christian school: LGBQT's have mental illnesses

Yes, this still is happening in Canada. This isn't a school in Afghanistan teaching sharia either, this is a private Christian school in Edmonton.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/lo...893/story.html

Quote:
The society’s bylaws are “hostile” to LGBTQ people, Scott found in his report. In letters to government, the society said the “homosexual lifestyle” is “sinful, unwise, unnatural, unholy and unhealthy,” and said it will tell any students who identify as LGBTQ the “lifestyle” is dangerous. The society also said transgender people have a “mental illness” that can be “overcome” with biblical counselling, said the report.
Quote:
An outside adviser has urged the education minister to close a “significant gap” in law that sets different expectations for public and private schools’ accommodation of LGBTQ students and staff.

Education Minister David Eggen issued a ministerial order Thursday based on the adviser’s report, telling two defiant Edmonton-area Christian private schools they must allow students to create a gay-straight alliance if they request one.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we PLEASE stop giving my money to these Neanderthals?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

John 13:34

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, here's the thing.

Quote:
In letters to government, the society said the “homosexual lifestyle” is “sinful, unwise, unnatural, unholy and unhealthy,”
This is dumb. But it's par for the course as far as backwards evangelical Christian buffoonery goes. It's almost comforting to think "wow, it's been a while since I've heard some idiot say being gay is 'unnatural'". I used to hear that five times a week." Not much can be done there, just ignore them.
Quote:
and said it will tell any students who identify as LGBTQ the “lifestyle” is dangerous. The society also said transgender people have a “mental illness” that can be “overcome” with biblical counselling, said the report.
This, meanwhile, is clearly mendacious, and I'd be interested in hearing what the difference is between this school's teachers telling kids this and and James Keegstra telling his students that the holocaust was a Jewish conspiracy. I'm not sure I'm a fan of section 319, but it is the law, and I'm just not so sure I see a real distinction here.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love that.

"Homosexuality is Unwise."

What, do like 9 out of 10 Proctologists agree?

I want that as a bumper sticker. Just...what a stupid criticism.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #7
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why it takes any longer than 30 seconds to remove accreditation from these two schools.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I don't know why it takes any longer than 30 seconds to remove accreditation from these two schools.
Yep, and yours and my (small) tax contribution is funding these schools so they can hate and discriminate. I'm not fine with that.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

ugh, that's all I can say

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It took literally 30 seconds to change a harmless "women's studies" course in this case...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle34383342/

Quote:
“Alberta Education and representatives from my office are in contact with the school board and will be seeking changes to this course immediately,” he said in an emailed statement.
Yet this is something that needs to be considered carefully...

Quote:
“I’m assessing it very carefully,” Eggen said Thursday. “I want to make sure that we are both applying the law in an equitable way, and that people will … understand the importance of having this right afforded to all students regardless of where they go to school.”
Bizarre I tell ya.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

The Wildrose would do some good if they pro-actively came out and condemned this social stance. Easy points to score.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #12
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
The Wildrose would do some good if they pro-actively came out and condemned this social stance. Easy points to score.
I wouldn't be surprised if a big chunk of their voter base still secretly agrees with this stance.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Me neither.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if a big chunk of their voter base still secretly openly agrees with this stance.
Fixed.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #15
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is an amazingly good thing that most of us just are automatically turned off by callous, or cruel, or stupid remarks about LGBQT people. I was watching Chapelle's latest stand-up special on Netflix, and he makes a number of dumb gay jokes. I wasn't even offended, but just turned off instantly.

Last edited by peter12; 03-24-2017 at 11:35 AM.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #16
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
It is an amazingly good thing that most of us just are automatically turned off by callous, or cruel, or stupid remarks about LGBQT people. I was watching Chapelle's latest stand-up special on Youtube, and he makes a number of dumb gay jokes. I wasn't even offended, but just turned off instantly.
Stand up comedians offend everyone though, it's not just Chappelle making gay jokes he literally makes fun of everyone and it's funny.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #17
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
It is an amazingly good thing that most of us just are automatically turned off by callous, or cruel, or stupid remarks about LGBQT people. I was watching Chapelle's latest stand-up special on Youtube, and he makes a number of dumb gay jokes. I wasn't even offended, but just turned off instantly.
I watched the first one in the collection and the first thing I said to my buddy was "He's so good at sarcasm that some people think he's not being sarcastic." Chappelle's delivery, timing and set-up makes me think the jokes were part of his social commentary or "Ain't that f@cked up?".
Old 03-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #18
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I watched the first one in the collection and the first thing I said to my buddy was "He's so good at sarcasm that some people think he's not being sarcastic." Chappelle's delivery, timing and set-up makes me think the jokes were part of his social commentary or "Ain't that f@cked up?".
Maaaaybe. Maybe.

He is a master, no doubt about it.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #19
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If the LBGQT community want equal rights they also can't be offended any time anyone makes a joke about them. Part of acceptance is opening yourself up to being the butt end of jokes. Acting like jokes about your group are off limits is exactly what creates an Us vs. Them divide.

Obviously there's jokes that cross the line against any group but so long as they're not overly hateful, they're just jokes.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #20
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
lol
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: