Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #541
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

About an hour ago, I was fishing my favorite creek for chubs to use as bait for tomorrow. I lit into the biggest brown I've ever seen in that water... well over 25". Two lb line and no net - fought her for a good 10 minutes before I got her to the edge and was pulling her up the bank. That's when she got loose.

Oh so close...
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #542
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Fisher View Post
Has anyone ever seen the movie "The River Why"? Great Fishing Movie. Probably the best fishing related movie I have seen.
Any other suggestions out there for a good Fishing Based movie? (Besides "A River Runs Through It")
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen wasn't bad.
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #543
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This video perfectly displays the reason why I fish & I would imagine others on here as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #544
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

For me fishing is the perfect escape, nothing else really matters when your presenting a fly juuuust in front of that rock in the fast water, the first day of a new hatch, or watching a pig rise to your fly and turning his nose... "What's he eating?"

One of those few activities where you can live completely in the moment and have a clear mind.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #545
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Trying to take advantage of the days as the season winds down. Soon it will be winter fishing. Brr.

Last edited by Angelamc; 01-03-2017 at 11:15 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #546
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm glad you didn't spoiler that pic. A fish that pretty should never be spoilered.
The Following User Says Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #547
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
I'm glad you didn't spoiler that pic. A fish that pretty should never be spoilered.
I don't know how to 'spoiler' a picture, nor do I have the patience to figure it out, it took me a million tries just to figure out how to post pictures on here.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:37 AM   #548
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have probably a stupid fish question. I walk by this little stream with dogs every year. It's a narrow channel that's not fed by a lake and is usually only a couple inches deep. It disappears underground occasionally and reappears further down stream. This picture is the deepest part, maybe three feet deep. And maybe five fee wide. It's about a hundred feet long and it's always loaded with these not so little fish.

So my questions are how did they get there? And what do they eat? How do they survive? It probably freezes solid in the winter. And what kind are they?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #549
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to say exactly, but those look like trout and depending on where that stream is they're either cutthroats or brooks?

Does the water flow into something? Almost surely they come upstream from a larger creek/stream and wouldn't winter here because they wouldn't survive.

They eat a lot of bugs and smaller fish/fry. They could be there to spawn at this point (if they're Brookies) and will live mostly in bigger water through the year. A lot of times the spawning grounds for trout aren't very deep at all, and its usually gravelly.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #550
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Hard to say exactly, but those look like trout and depending on where that stream is they're either cutthroats or brooks?

Does the water flow into something? Almost surely they come upstream from a larger creek/stream and wouldn't winter here because they wouldn't survive.

They eat a lot of bugs and smaller fish/fry. They could be there to spawn at this point (if they're Brookies) and will live mostly in bigger water through the year. A lot of times the spawning grounds for trout aren't very deep at all, and its usually gravelly.
Thanks for the info. It's a very small creek that totally disappears in several spots. It's only like an inch deep in most places. It flows into Etherington creek coming south to north behind Raspberry Ridge... likely coming from an off shoot of water not going to Cataract Creek. I don't know of any larger lake feeding it. But it seem like every year it is just this tiny isolated pond that has these rather large fish. It would likely flow into Baril Creek and then the Highwood river. But I don't know if these fish would ever get there as the water flow stops just after the pond. The dogs watch them swim around. They only come out if you're standing perfectly still.

On a related note, the Highwood River around Eyrie gap is getting a major facelift of some kind. It seems like they are trying to re arrange the flood channels.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #551
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK well almost for sure those are cutthroat trout. They probably mainly live in Cataract, but they will go to the smaller streams. It's funny because if the streams are small like that you can still see some big fish if the conditions are right. So if it's somewhat deep there and fairly fast so there is a good amount of oxygen you can see fish larger than you might expect in those little streams.

To catch them you do have to sneak in though. They are wary and spook really easy...which is part of the fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #552
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

We are watching you, Poachers!

https://www.facebook.com/AlbertaFish...type=3&theater

In May, these six rainbow were trout were seized from a poacher who has now been convicted. On May 27, 2016, a Calgary Fish and Wildlife Officer responded to a Report A Poacher call regarding an angler on the Bow River near the Deerfoot Extension Bridge. Upon inspection, Alexander Grekov was found to be in possession of six rainbow trout ranging from 35cm to 51cm in length. In order to help prevent the fish population from collapsing, the daily limit of trout for this section of the Bow River is one under 35cm in length.

Grekov recently pleaded guilty to catching and retaining more than the daily quota, and the court issued a fine of $3,000. His fishing equipment was seized and forfeited. The fish will either be used by biologists for research purposes or given to people in need.

Thanks to the person who reported this fish crime. Suspicious hunting and fishing activity can be reported to the Report A Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800. To learn about catch limits and other regulations for the water body you plan to fish, visit this page: http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 06:22 AM   #553
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Was driving yesterday and saw a rod/reel leaning against a trashcan by the side of the road. Stopped and grabbed it it. Got it home and it's a brand new 7' medium Ugly Stick, circa 2000,with a Mitchell Copperhead 40 spinning reel on it. Not a mark on them.
SCORE!
Old 01-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #554
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Happy New Year everyone!

It sure started out good. Landed this 25" Rainbow this morning - my personal best! She was full of eggs and healthy after a half hour on the stringer, so she got released back into Skaneateles...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2017, 03:05 PM   #555
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, nice fish! I figured in NY that everything would be frozen now?
Old 01-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #556
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
Happy New Year everyone!

It sure started out good. Landed this 25" Rainbow this morning - my personal best! She was full of eggs and healthy after a half hour on the stringer, so she got released back into Skaneateles...

Nice Rainbow.

Not to be a downer but the mortality rate for a fish released after being attached to a stringer for any duration is going to be high. Many jurisdictions don't allow this in their regulations as it's considered culling (replacing one fish of differing size for another). Although I have never used a stringer, I believe you should be committed to keeping the fish once you place it on there.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #557
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
Nice Rainbow.

Not to be a downer but the mortality rate for a fish released after being attached to a stringer for any duration is going to be high. Many jurisdictions don't allow this in their regulations as it's considered culling (replacing one fish of differing size for another). Although I have never used a stringer, I believe you should be committed to keeping the fish once you place it on there.
I'm well aware of the mortality factor, which is why I kept her as long as I did. She was chugging all over the 10' wide creek that empties into where I was fishing and took off like a shot out the creek mouth. She'll be just fine.

As to Slava's mentioning the ice... I've seen people out on 1.5" and less of ice, on Otisco Lake before. I consider that tantamount to suicide.
Skaneateles has only frozen completely a couple of times in my lifetime,though there's often ice on a few very shallow areas. That why I go there - I can freeze my ass off just as easily _and_catch fish from shore and not have to worry about falling through the ice. I fell through as a kid and I want no part of it. Short of riding a 4-wheeler out out to a shanty with a wood stove in it, I probably never will ice fish.
The Following User Says Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #558
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Winter fishing is tough this year, only made it out four times in December. I did manage to catch fish from The Bow in every month last calendar year so I am happy about that. This year is looking a lot tougher though. Late Nov & a Dec fish.

Last edited by Angelamc; 01-03-2017 at 11:03 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #559
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard some very disappointing news yesterday; apparently evidence of Zebra/Quagga Mussels have been found in the Missouri River. From what I hear this was both upstream and downstream of Craig, Montana. At this point there is not really any immediate impact on anglers from Canada, and maybe the fishery is OK. Longer term though this is a severe issue.

If you haven't made the pilgrimage to the Mecca of Fly Fishing that is Craig and the Missouri I can only encourage you to do so. You might want to make it sooner rather than later though in case they take drastic steps to try to deal with this. The dams there are hydro dams and once the mussels get in and clog everything up its a legitimate disaster. I don't have an article to link at this point, but I will post one if I come across it.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #560
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/sto...ters/93561824/

Not confirmed yet but a lot of my guide buddies in Craig and Helena are not very happy about this that is for sure.
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cavalera403 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bow river , fishing , fly fishing