Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #221
sparky69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter Renegade View Post
Thanks for the advice, Hesla!

Do you have an office in the city? I would be more than happy to make you and your team my family's choice Optometry center. You're obviously knowledgeable and very passionate.
He does! he works at the Southcentre Optometry Clinic, which is at the southland mall. I was there today getting my eyes check. Thanks again Hesla!
sparky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sparky69 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #222
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do you know what "balanced salt solution is," Hesla? When I was discharged from the hospital (vitrectomy) I was told not to get my eye wet, and then contrary to that information, was told by the same nurse that if I am going to clean my eye NOT to use tap water, but balanced salt solution.

Shoppers drug mart told me, "huh?" and I went to a compounding pharmacy and they said they could get a formula for it, but admitted they didn't know what it was.

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 06-13-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #223
freedogger
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am technically red-green colour blind. I wanted to fly choppers for a career but was told it is pretty much a no-go. No one would hire me when there are hundreds of others applying who are not red-green colour blind.

The thing is, I can tell the difference between red and green even though I don't recognize the same numbers on the dot card tests that others who aren't red-green colour blind see.

I have no problems with colours in day to day life.

So what is it about my eyesight that is different or more impaired than others who aren't red-green colour blind?

Thanks!
freedogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #224
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

What causes glasses to have a fishbowl effect on outer edges.

My glasses and contacts are the same prescription, my contacts are great my glasses not so much. The glasses add a very slight curvature to objects on the outside edges on the lens. As an example standing in a hallway would make it look oval directly beside me but normal 10 feet in front of me.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #225
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Do you know what "balanced salt solution is," Hesla? When I was discharged from the hospital (vitrectomy) I was told not to get my eye wet, and then contrary to that information, was told by the same nurse that if I am going to clean my eye NOT to use tap water, but balanced salt solution.

Shoppers drug mart told me, "huh?" and I went to a compounding pharmacy and they said they could get a formula for it, but admitted they didn't know what it was.
pH balanced saline solution. Can't believe a pharmacist didn't know that...
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #226
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
pH balanced saline solution. Can't believe a pharmacist didn't know that...
Yeah, it was a pharmacist from North Hill mall Shoppers who sent me to Cambrian Pharmacy with a wikipedia print out.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #227
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

They mean Saline solution. It is not widely available in Canada anymore. Walmart has an "equate" version sometimes. If that doesn't work normal CL solution will work (if you don't have one pick up B + L Sensitive solution)

Last edited by Knut; 06-13-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #228
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Are there any long term effects of not lubricating my eyeballs. Got laser surgery last year and they pretty much say you should always eye drop. I stopped eyedropping when it didn't feel like they were dry but in the morning they fell pretty sticky. I rub them and tear them up, but should I be using those eyedrops or is it like having dry hands, no big deal.
The problem with laser surgery is that it cuts the nerves that tell your tear ducts to produce more tears when they cornea becomes dry. This doesn't necessarily recover in all people. If they bug you in the morning likely they are still drying out. Try using a drop right before bed only and see if it is better. Drops are sometimes necessary indefinitely after laser surgery.

No real long terms effects, but it does increase your chance for infection/inflammatory episodes.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #229
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedogger View Post
I am technically red-green colour blind. I wanted to fly choppers for a career but was told it is pretty much a no-go. No one would hire me when there are hundreds of others applying who are not red-green colour blind.

The thing is, I can tell the difference between red and green even though I don't recognize the same numbers on the dot card tests that others who aren't red-green colour blind see.

I have no problems with colours in day to day life.

So what is it about my eyesight that is different or more impaired than others who aren't red-green colour blind?

Thanks!
There are different degrees of colorblindness. You may have a minor version. Unfortunately military, police, pilots and railway signal operators have stric regulations (which in my mind are outdated).

Also, being red-green colorblind doesn't mean you can't see red and green it is usually the oranges, browns, purples etc that may be an issue.

Request a farnsworth D-15 test at your Next appointment and the Optometrist can determine exactly what type/degree of colorblindness and also what colors would be an issue.

Last edited by Knut; 06-13-2012 at 09:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #230
BCGirl
Farm Team Player

Exp:

When I was 17 I began to wear Bosch and Lomb contacts. Most comfortable things ever, wore them up to 18 hours a day and never noticed I was even wearing them. Took a break and wore glasses for three years straight. Then when I went back to them, I cant find a pair that feels like my old ones. I even bought of Clearly Contacts- 'bad move'- but nothing works. When I was testing contacts I told the person who was helping me that it felt like my eyes were being scratched with sandpaper and it didnt used to feel like this. She told me that it most likely was that uncomfortable back when I was 17, I just wasnt as picky about my comfort then. WTF!? I do have astigmatism which apparently makes it harder to find properly fitting contacts. Do they exist? Can I find a certain pair that will work for my eyes. Im currently using a stay-in set and I dont ever take them out but in the morning my eyes can be blurry for a bit and also driving late at night I find my eyes can not be as focused as they should be. What are some brands that I could try. I prefer leave-ins but Im willing to go to daily disposable, monthly, anything. I just want my eyes to feel comfy when I wear contacts!
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #231
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
What causes glasses to have a fishbowl effect on outer edges.

My glasses and contacts are the same prescription, my contacts are great my glasses not so much. The glasses add a very slight curvature to objects on the outside edges on the lens. As an example standing in a hallway would make it look oval directly beside me but normal 10 feet in front of me.
Contact lenses sit directly on the eye, while glasses sit approximately 13mm from the eye. This distance creates a magnification (farsighted)/minification (nearsighted) effect. If you have astigmatism or a high prescription this effect can increased. It could also mean that your glasses were made wrong or the measurements were wrong. A quality pair of glasses should not create this effect for you. It is one of the main complaints of online glasses actually.

The first step would be to take the glasses in to get adjusted. If the frame has too much wrap or tilt it can increase this effect. Sometimes a simple adjustment can fix the problem

The next step is to book another appointment with your Optometrist to check on the prescription.

Sometimes it is a good idea to take the glasses to a third party Optometry office. Most places will check out your glasses for you for a minimal charge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #232
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What am I doing wrong with my solution clear care they burn the hell out of my eyes and have caused blurry vision. I was told to use them because my eyes get dry.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #233
drhu22
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Im in my early 50s, and find my eyesight deteriorating.
Are there any dietary/vitamine related tips, or eye excercises that might help?
Also...sometimes I wonder if staring at a computer screen too much is harming my eyes.
drhu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #234
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCGirl View Post
When I was 17 I began to wear Bosch and Lomb contacts. Most comfortable things ever, wore them up to 18 hours a day and never noticed I was even wearing them. Took a break and wore glasses for three years straight. Then when I went back to them, I cant find a pair that feels like my old ones. I even bought of Clearly Contacts- 'bad move'- but nothing works. When I was testing contacts I told the person who was helping me that it felt like my eyes were being scratched with sandpaper and it didnt used to feel like this. She told me that it most likely was that uncomfortable back when I was 17, I just wasnt as picky about my comfort then. WTF!? I do have astigmatism which apparently makes it harder to find properly fitting contacts. Do they exist? Can I find a certain pair that will work for my eyes. Im currently using a stay-in set and I dont ever take them out but in the morning my eyes can be blurry for a bit and also driving late at night I find my eyes can not be as focused as they should be. What are some brands that I could try. I prefer leave-ins but Im willing to go to daily disposable, monthly, anything. I just want my eyes to feel comfy when I wear contacts!

Step one is to try your extended wear contacts daily wear (ie take them out every night and ensure you replace them monthly).

If that doesn't work then you should get a fitting done with a new Optometrist. There could be a health related issue involved too.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #235
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
What am I doing wrong with my solution clear care they burn the hell out of my eyes and have caused blurry vision. I was told to use them because my eyes get dry.
If you put your contacts into clean care, with the fancy gizmo they send along with the package, you have to leave them in there at least 4 hours before you wear them again. There is some kind of solution in Clear Care that will burn your eyes if you don't let if dissipate.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #236
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
If you put your contacts into clean care, with the fancy gizmo they send along with the package, you have to leave them in there at least 4 hours before you wear them again. There is some kind of solution in Clear Care that will burn your eyes if you don't let if dissipate.
It's in there overnight over 7 hours. That chamber thing fizzes like crazy. Yet when I put them on and shake off and residue, put on eye drops they BURN. My eye went red and blurred vision.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #237
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Make sure you are using the proper case and leaving the contacts in there for 6 hours.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&cl...se&spell=1#p=0

If you are then you should try switching the case out for a new one

If they still bug you then you can give the lenses a quick rinse with a different solution before putting them in your eye.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #238
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Im in my early 50s, and find my eyesight deteriorating.
Are there any dietary/vitamine related tips, or eye excercises that might help?
Also...sometimes I wonder if staring at a computer screen too much is harming my eyes.
Unfortunately you are hooped. It very natural for our eyes to shift farsighted and lose the near vision. This shift can also create night vison issues.

The mechanism for this is the lens of the eye thickening up. A healthy diet and protecting your eyes from UV light can help slow the progression, but nothing can stop it.

Multifocal glasses and/or contacts can correct the vision, but it will get worse.

Computer screens do not make the eyes worse, they just exaggerate the symptoms.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #239
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
It's in there overnight over 7 hours. That chamber thing fizzes like crazy. Yet when I put them on and shake off and residue, put on eye drops they BURN. My eye went red and blurred vision.
Buy a new case as yours could defective. Also make sure the case sits upright and not on it's side. Also ensure you do not place anything on top of the case.

Trying rinsing your lens after you take it out with a regular multipurpose solution.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #240
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My mother in law has an eye condition called Anisometropia Amplyopia (sp?) Which has left her with severely impaired vision in one eye. My wife and I had our first child two weeks ago and were wondering when to get his eyes checked first. My mother in law was told that my son should get checked early as early treatment can correct it if it turns up. Any advice?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote