Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-04-2017, 09:46 PM   #501
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

On a side and completely related note, the One Love Manchester concert was really well done and it was great to see a crowd of 50 or so thousand people having such a great time.

Now I'm not a super fan of the groups that were playing there for the most part, but the strong message that came from this concert of F you dirt bag terrorists we're going to go on enjoying and living life no matter what you do was powerful.

Also full credit for Ariana Grande who set this thing up and performed throughout the event even though she came pretty close to breaking down at the end.

Well done Manchester.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #502
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Terrorism and other homicide are not the same animals under different names, though. No more than a lynching is the same as, say, a murder during a mugging. That graph is all well and good but I think even the statement “Terrorism is aimed at the people watching, not at the actual victims" makes the point that the two aren't particularly comparable.

As for the Northern Ireland thing, what exactly is the argument here? We now have occasional brutal mass-murders in the UK based on religious grievances, but thirty years ago we had even more of them, so... no worries? Even if you want to compare the troubles to the current jihadi insurgency (and there are lots of reasons for distinguishing them that have been discussed), well, everyone seemed to want to understand and eliminate the source of the violence 30 years ago. It was possibly the most pressing and substantial issue of domestic policy for years. Why wouldn't this new flavour of violence provoke a similar motivation? Why would people care any less about it?
With respect it wasn't, N Ireland was just a long running conflict that everyone accepted, including the bombings over there and the Christmas bombings on the mainland, neither party was seen as being able to stop it as the demands of the IRA were utterly at odds with what the protestant majority wanted, the UK just accepted we were stuck with it, it was never an electoral issue because of that
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #503
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
On a side and completely related note, the One Love Manchester concert was really well done and it was great to see a crowd of 50 or so thousand people having such a great time.

Now I'm not a super fan of the groups that were playing there for the most part, but the strong message that came from this concert of F you dirt bag terrorists we're going to go on enjoying and living life no matter what you do was powerful.

Also full credit for Ariana Grande who set this thing up and performed throughout the event even though she came pretty close to breaking down at the end.

Well done Manchester.

Completely agree. And though I'm not a fan of Ariana Grande at all, I thought she handled the whole evening with class and grace, very well done.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #504
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Off topic but...The metal detectors were installed around the same time they started selling beer in cans. I'm not suggesting the flames don't care about you getting shot, but to me this always seemed like too big of a coincidence timing wise to not consider that the main motivation behind the added security was fans potentially sneaking booze to avoid paying $8/drink.
I heard this was an NHL mandate. Basically the BOG felt they needed more uniform security league-wide.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #505
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

last night on the news the reporter commented on how apparently ISIS is calling for more attacks during the holy month of Ramadan.

makes me sad to think that during a holy month, this group would be encouraging more attacks. maybe for Christmas, christians should start praying for round the clock saturation bombings of ISIS strongholds.

i'll never get these zelots as it seems you are either with them or against them - and I 'd like to think that most people are interested in respecting and accepting them, but these constant seemingly random attacks are likely fracturing joe publics opion of them (which may be their ultimate goal).

I can only wonder how much longer it is until there are incidents like this happening on a regular basis in Canada and the US
Old 06-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #506
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
last night on the news the reporter commented on how apparently ISIS is calling for more attacks during the holy month of Ramadan.

makes me sad to think that during a holy month, this group would be encouraging more attacks. maybe for Christmas, christians should start praying for round the clock saturation bombings of ISIS strongholds.

i'll never get these zelots as it seems you are either with them or against them - and I 'd like to think that most people are interested in respecting and accepting them, but these constant seemingly random attacks are likely fracturing joe publics opion of them (which may be their ultimate goal).

I can only wonder how much longer it is until there are incidents like this happening on a regular basis in Canada and the US
It is their goal. not only hating them, they are trying to make joe public hate all muslims in general. They are trying to show all muslims that see? you are going the wrong direction, people really hate you so why change away from what islam really is. Come back to us. We'll appreciate you and show you the way.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #507
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It is their goal. not only hating them, they are trying to make joe public hate all muslims in general. They are trying to show all muslims that see? you are going the wrong direction, people really hate you so why change away from what islam really is. Come back to us. We'll appreciate you and show you the way.
They've picked the wrong Joe Public in the UK then, as usual the British response was to make humorous tweets in response to Trumps oafishness.
and a picture of a guy running down the street away from the attackers while refusing to put down his still full beer glass is being acclaimed as the spirit of London personified, not only are 'we' not going to allow these idiots to change our way of life in general, we aren't even going to stop drinking during the attack is the general consensus.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #508
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
They've picked the wrong Joe Public in the UK then, as usual the British response was to make humorous tweets in response to Trumps oafishness.
and a picture of a guy running down the street away from the attackers while refusing to put down his still full beer glass is being acclaimed as the spirit of London personified, not only are 'we' not going to allow these idiots to change our way of life in general, we aren't even going to stop drinking during the attack is the general consensus.

Apparently the guy was pissed off at London prices because he's from Liverpool. I guess not really the spirit of London haha.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post: