Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #541
Prototype

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Kind of surprised there is no reaction to the article I posted a link to. Could mean series' you can't see anywhere else, only being on Netflix. Unless the story was posted earlier and I missed it.
Right now, its a big meh from me. It'll be the future of media, but its the same as what we have IMO. The content has to be there no matter the medium that its provided on. And I'm already a member, so its not that big of a draw for me.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #542
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Huge list of movies added today, including a bunch of classics. But more importantly they've finally added the queue. No more having to worry about organizing a bunch of bookmarks!
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #543
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Now I have a dilema do I stay with the US service that has been treating me so well or do I go back to canadian?
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #544
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

SOCAN has applied to the Copyright Board for an interim tariff to cover royalties for the communication to the public by telecommunication of musical works in connection with movie/tv streaming and user generated content sites: http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5861/125/
Quote:
The first (Tariff 22D) applies to services that offer streaming or downloadable movies or television programs. It cites Netflix, Apple TV, as well as Sony's Crackle and Qriocity as examples. The proposal raises payment schemes for subscription sites, pay-per-view sites, and ad-supported sites, all of which come in around 1.9% of gross revenues (there is a more complex model for ad-supported sites). This could lead to significant money as Netflix alone appears headed to generate at least $50 million in revenues in Canada this year, resulting in a SOCAN payment of nearly $1 million/year.

The second tariff (Tariff 22G) covers user generated content sites, but might as well be called the YouTube tariff since it is the obvious target (Facebook is a close second). SOCAN establishes a formula for payment that starts at 6.8 percent of ad revenue for music videos and 1.9 percent of ad revenues for other audiovisual content with music. How much is at stake? Given that some estimates put YouTube revenues in the billions, the Canadian slice could be significant.
So whenever you wonder why services like the iTunes Music Store or Netflix take so long to become available in Canada or why things like Pandora and iCloud aren't available in Canada at all, you can cite this kind of thinking as one of the biggest barriers to entry. I don't think it's unfair to expect companies that earn profits in Canada from the works of copyright holders to pay a fair sum, but the process that's in place seems arbitrary and out of line with reality. It remains expensive and complicated to offer your services in Canada so many companies, as we all know, don't bother. Thank you SOCAN. Thank you CRIA.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #545
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Huge list of movies added today, including a bunch of classics. But more importantly they've finally added the queue. No more having to worry about organizing a bunch of bookmarks!
Where is this queue that you speak of? I'm browsing the site on a computer and can't see any reference to it.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #546
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

There's a button under Play that says "Add to Your List". It sometimes says "Add to Instant Queue" too. I haven't had a chance to see if the list/queue shows up when browsing on the consoles.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #547
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's a button under Play that says "Add to Your List". It sometimes says "Add to Instant Queue" too. I haven't had a chance to see if the list/queue shows up when browsing on the consoles.
Strange - I have tried it with Firefox and now IE, and all I get is "Play" and "Play Trailer". Maybe they're rolling it out to selected accounts earlier than others? I'll try it again later.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 06-15-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #548
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Now I have a dilema do I stay with the US service that has been treating me so well or do I go back to canadian?
If you managed to setup access to the US server via proxies, US credit card, yourself, etc. I would stay with it. The American service will always have much more content than the Canadian one.

However, if you are paying for that other company an extra 8 or 10 bucks a month to be able to use netflix on of the monthly fee for netflix, maybe that isn't so great.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #549
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
I cancelled my subscription last night and today they roll this out? Bollocks.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #550
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I absolutely hate the new site layout. And I don't see a queue option either.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #551
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Why would you cancel a subscription that costs less than what you pay for coffee each month?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #552
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I pay the company 5 bucks a month to do it. It isn't that big of a deal and the service has been great. It also alows me to watch espnU and other things so maybe I will just keep it going
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #553
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Why would you cancel a subscription that costs less than what you pay for coffee each month?
If you're not really using it, I don't care what the cost is. I'm not paying for something I don't use.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #554
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Because it's getting to the point where I have multiple accounts just like it. $8/month for netflix, $10 for dropbox, $10 for a website and $10 for Rdio (new obsession) adds up to a $40 monthly charge. I can't bring in new services (like rdio) without trimming the fat. I wasn't getting $8 of value each month out of it.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #555
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you can get more coffee each month.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #556
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Big update on Netflix today including most notably:

SLAP SHOT

Thought that some of you might be interested in that.

Also in this update:

Dawn of the Dead
Serenity
Charade/Frenzy/Topaz (Hitchcock)
Weeds
Quantum Leap
The A Team
Rockford Files
Sherlock Season 1
among others
Old 09-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #557
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Weeds? That's good news. When are they going to add more Rescue Me? That's the real question at hand.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #558
FlamesAllTheWay
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
Big update on Netflix today including most notably:

SLAP SHOT

Thought that some of you might be interested in that.

Also in this update:

Dawn of the Dead
Serenity
Charade/Frenzy/Topaz (Hitchcock)
Weeds
Quantum Leap
The A Team
Rockford Files
Sherlock Season 1
among others
Good... Gooooooooood.....

I owe Netflix for getting me started on Firefly . Glad to see they added the movie.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #559
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rented the movie on iTunes last weekend. Dammit that's 3 bucks I'll never get back
Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #560
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just checked that website to see what they added, and holy crap that September 1st update is huge!