Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #221
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:
Post Air Canada boosting FRA & NRT April 2012

Here comes some good news:

Quote:
Air Canada Boosts Calgary Flights to Tokyo and to Frankfurt

CALGARY, Nov. 10, 2011 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced that it is boosting its international flights from Calgary to Tokyo and Frankfurt, further strengthening its global network. Effective April 27, 2012, Air Canada will increase its Calgary-Tokyo non-stop summer service to five weekly flights as it takes steps towards continuing the non-stop service on a year-round basis, subject to obtaining the necessary approvals in Japan. In addition, beginning February 4, 2012, the carrier will operate its non-stop daily flights from Calgary to Frankfurt with larger 265-seat Airbus A330-300 aircraft year-round, representing an increase of 25 per cent more seats during the winter than the Boeing 767-300ER it currently operates on the route.

"We are pleased to increase our international flights from Calgary reflecting worldwide demand to and from Alberta's energy centre," said Ben Smith, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer. "Air Canada's flights linking Calgary non-stop to the UK, Europe and Asia all feature Executive First lie-flat bed suites and leading personal in-flight entertainment throughout the aircraft. Demand for Air Canada's non-stop Calgary-Tokyo Narita service has been strong from business and leisure travelers as well as freight forwarders over the past year and we look forward to being able to maintain a year-round schedule, pending approvals in Japan."

Air Canada's increased scheduled of Calgary-Tokyo flights will operate on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, departing Calgary at 12:45 p.m. and arriving in Tokyo the following day at 2:25 p.m. Flights will depart Tokyo on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays at 4:00 p.m., arriving Calgary same day at 10:40 a.m.

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=494
Well we already knew about the Frankfurt flight switching to the A333, but it is nice to see the NRT flight continue to increase in frequency with the ultimate goal of daily still being pursued!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #222
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is awesome, 15 B-52's out of Minot AFB in ND take part in operation Global Thunder in June of 2009. The video is of the 15 crews being rushed to the aircraft, fired up and scrambled with minimum interval take-offs (MITO). Just think a scene like this could have been the start of WWIII:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #223
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A view from inside the LOT 767 that made the gear up landing, filmed by a passenger on the flight:

The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #224
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
This is awesome, 15 B-52's out of Minot AFB in ND take part in operation Global Thunder in June of 2009. The video is of the 15 crews being rushed to the aircraft, fired up and scrambled with minimum interval take-offs (MITO). Just think a scene like this could have been the start of WWIII:

Where else are you ever going to see that much weight take off in so little amount of time? Awesome!
Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #225
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now I've got a thing for finding more of these videos, I think the spacing between take-offs in this one is even tighter, plus it has some KC-135's in there also:

Last edited by Bigtime; 11-11-2011 at 05:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #226
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

WestJet likely to expand into 2nd fleet type - CFO
Quote:
Nov 15 (Reuters) - WestJet Airlines Ltd is likely to diversify from its current single-aircraft fleet type eventually, although no decision has been made at this stage, its chief financial officer said on Tuesday.
"It is likely that we, at some point, will move into a second fleet type. We study it continuously," said Vito Culmone, the CFO of Canada's second biggest airline.
He said WestJet was studying moves into the wide-body aircraft market as well as the regional aircraft market. At this stage it had no preference for either market.
WestJet operates a single fleet of Boeing Next-Generation 737 aircraft. The uniform fleet, which brings with it lower maintenance, training and other costs, is often cited as a major reason why WestJet's expenses are one-third lower than bigger rival Air Canada's .
Culmone's comments were made at the Scotia Capital transportation and aerospace conference in Toronto
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AE0LL20111115
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #227
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, I wonder if that was what all the rumours were about? I thought it was going to be an announcement of some regional flying done by smaller companies like Central Mountain Air and Hawkair.

I still think that is something that we'll hear about sooner rather than later, the CFO's talk is just a lot of words with no solid info behind them.

Last edited by Bigtime; 11-15-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #228
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

That CFO comments are no different than what Durfy or Beddoe have said in the past.

To not study the possibility of different A/C types would be bad business. Their problem will always be they are compared to SW and yet WS has a significantly different market. I still think the E170/90 would have been a great plane for them to expand to the US from YYZ.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #229
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I agree it is just more talk. But rumors have been heating up lately about Westjet and new aircraft type.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #230
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Embraer 170/90 are a great product, but perhaps WS will go for the shocker and order the 787 (wishful thinking)?

Last edited by Bigtime; 11-15-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #231
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 787 would look awesome in WS colours.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #232
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
WestJet Airlines Ltd said Wednesday it had secured eight take-off and landing slots at New York’s LaGuardia airport in an auction held by the U.S. Federal Aviation Authority.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/11/23...uardia-airport
Old 11-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #233
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

LGA is a hole.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #234
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it better or worse than Newark? Newark reminded me of Winnipeg except it had a TGIFridays.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #235
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always thought the appeal of LGA was its proximity to Manhattan. On my only trip to New York I flew YYC-YYZ-LGA, and we did a spectacular approach right around Manhattan before landing, it was like an aerial tour. The city had already blown my mind before I even landed.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #236
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure if this is old news or new...

but I'm reading that WestJet is using a 757 in the winter for flights to Hawaii?
Old 11-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #237
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
I'm not sure if this is old news or new...

but I'm reading that WestJet is using a 757 in the winter for flights to Hawaii?
Yes - and last year they did the same. However last year it was, I believe, a "North American" 757 including their crews and the customer response was negative to the crews, so this year it's Thomas Cook and Westjet flight attendant crews. Might go over well. It allows WS to run non-stops from Alberta to Hawaii in the winter.

ETA: The release can be found here

YYC-HNL Fridays
YYC-OGG Monday, Thursday, Saturday
YEG-OGG Wednesday, Sunday

What about Tuesday?

Last edited by billybob123; 11-24-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #238
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are a lot of rumours about Thomas Cook being in financial trouble, if something should go south that could leave WS without a 757 from them. I'm sure in light of these rumours they are working up a 'Plan B' should that occur.

With regards to the service last year, I thought a lot of the problems were the fact that the 757 went mechanical quite a few times. So flights were delayed 24 hours or more, which of course cost people vacation time (and they weren't too happy about that).

That is still why I will fly AC to Hawaii, should an aircraft go mechanical it will be much quicker for AC to get a replacement aircraft than WS with this wet-lease arrangement. In January that is exactly what happened, the 763 that operated HNL-YYC had a mechanical issue that forced them to shutdown an engine and divert to YVR. That aircraft was going to operate the OGG-YYC flight the next evening (our flight). Instead of a delay or cancellation AC just sent one of their upgraded 763's to operate the flight. Nobody (except an avgeek like myself) even had a clue of what transpired for that to occur.

Last edited by Bigtime; 11-24-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #239
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last transmissions between New York ATC and the Concorde on its final flight out of JFK:

I never got to see the Concorde fly in person, such a shame.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #240
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome video Bigtime!

Any info on why they wanted such an exact wheels rolling time?
Closed Thread

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters