Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2017, 09:59 AM   #361
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm not really that familiar with Christianity and all their rules, but isn't premarital sex also considered a sin? If so, why aren't Christians lambasting everyone who does it? Seems to me like a lot of Christians who are using the bible to go against LGBQT rights are using it to mask their own intolerance. At least, that's how it seems to me anyways.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #362
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Now you're just being a dick.
Reading this thread is worse than rinsing my eyes with fistfuls of powdered glass. Why do you even bother?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:43 AM   #363
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Reading this thread is worse than rinsing my eyes with fistfuls of powdered glass. Why do you even bother?
yet here you are.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #364
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
So I'm not really that familiar with Christianity and all their rules, but isn't premarital sex also considered a sin? If so, why aren't Christians lambasting everyone who does it? Seems to me like a lot of Christians who are using the bible to go against LGBQT rights are using it to mask their own intolerance. At least, that's how it seems to me anyways.
Don't forget they seem to overlook the edict that says adulterers are supposed to be stoned to death in the village square. They never want to do that anymore. Also no wearing clothing made of mixed fabrics, big no no.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #365
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
If you start listing hypocrisies, inconsistencies, and illogical thought when it comes to Christianity as an institution, we'll be here a while LOL.

I'm not religious but have veered away from sneering at it (not saying you are) because as far as I can tell, at its root, most religions want you to do the following:
  • Have free will as an individual and encourage freedom
  • Not harm people

Religion/spirituality isn't a bad thing. People are.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 10:59 AM   #366
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
According to the bible, when was earth or the universe created?
I am curious to know: why do you think this matters? It is not really a question that is addressed directly by "the Bible" because it is not something that was deemed altogether very important to those who wrote about creation. It is a mistake to expect things from the Bible that it simply does not address—this is the source of so much Evangelical hermeneutical silliness in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 03-31-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 11:01 AM   #367
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

For sure, I'm not against religion. If it puts people in a healthy state of mind and generally makes them do good, then I'm all for it. You're totally free to believe what you want.

I guess my point stems from an argument I had with a Christian who was against gay marriage because it goes against her religion. She was living together with her boyfriend at the time. So I asked her why that's not against her teachings, and she's like "oh, I don't believe in that part of the bible". So I commented, you're only a Christian of convenience. If you pick and choose parts to believe and not believe, why do you choose to believe the part that makes you a bigot?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #368
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Are you being sarcastic?
Care to offer up some examples of me "ragging on Muslim countries?"

I've said that most of the world is far more conservative than the West. And I've said that Muslims are typically more conservative than Christians. I've also said the Muslim immigrants who come to Canada tend to more educated and secular than Muslims in general.

I don't especially care what people outside Canada do, and don't consider it my business. And as I said, our immigration system tends to attract more educated and secular Muslims. Our refugee system doesn't, though. It is perfectly sensible for liberals like myself to question the wisdom of welcoming large numbers of refugees from the more socially-backward parts of the world to Canada. Or at least to recognize that it will likely cause social friction.

It is fascinating how many people who don't hesitate to slam Christians and Christianity as gay-hating bigots hold their tongue when it comes to a religion that is far more hostile to gays. I guess the fear of appearing racist trumps everything.

CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:20 AM   #369
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Care to offer up some examples of me "ragging on Muslim countries?"

I've said that most of the world is far more conservative than the West. And I've said that Muslims are typically more conservative than Christians. I've also said the Muslim immigrants who come to Canada tend to more educated and secular than Muslims in general.

I don't especially care what people outside Canada do, and don't consider it my business. And as I said, our immigration system tends to attract more educated and secular Muslims. Our refugee system doesn't, though. It is perfectly sensible for liberals like myself to question the wisdom of welcoming large numbers of refugees from the more socially-backward parts of the world to Canada. Or at least to recognize that it will likely cause social friction.

It is fascinating how many people who don't hesitate to slam Christians and Christianity as gay-hating bigots hold their tongue when it comes to a religion that is far more hostile to gays. I guess the fear of appearing racist trumps everything.

Frankly, I think there are just far less opportunities to criticize the views of Muslim individuals or predominantly Muslim institutions because both are (a) far less common in Canada than Christian individuals and predominantly Christian institutions; and (b) less politically active than Christian individuals and predominantly Christian institutions.

I also note that there very few calls to expel or deny entry to conservative Christians for fear of "social friction".
Old 03-31-2017, 11:42 AM   #370
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I also note that there very few calls to expel or deny entry to conservative Christians for fear of "social friction".
There aren't a whole hell of a lot of them applying for refugee status. And no one was calling for anyone to be "expelled", so I'm not sure where you got that from.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #371
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Frankly, I think there are just far less opportunities to criticize the views of Muslim individuals or predominantly Muslim institutions because both are (a) far less common in Canada than Christian individuals and predominantly Christian institutions; and (b) less politically active than Christian individuals and predominantly Christian institutions.
Which is a misperception. For example, the strongest hostility to sex education in schools is in commuties with high concentrations of immigrants.

Muslim community taking the lead in latest round of Ontario sex-education protests

Sex Ed Not Welcome at Any Age for Many Immigrant Parents
Old 03-31-2017, 11:51 AM   #372
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
There aren't a whole hell of a lot of them applying for refugee status. And no one was calling for anyone to be "expelled", so I'm not sure where you got that from.
Most of the refugees admitted to Canada during the Bosnian conflict were Christian, and I don't remember much of a push back against them (albeit, I was a teenager).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:01 PM   #373
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Just for shiggles someone visualised all the contradictions in the Bible...

http://bibviz.com/

Yeah...using a text this discombobulated to guide your actions...what could possibly go wrong?

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #374
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I just added that for some dramatic flair.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:13 PM   #375
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which is a misperception. For example, the strongest hostility to sex education in schools is in commuties with high concentrations of immigrants.

Muslim community taking the lead in latest round of Ontario sex-education protests

Sex Ed Not Welcome at Any Age for Many Immigrant Parents
Well, I'm not convinced that two examples proves that it is a misconception. There are few studies on the topic (that I can find anyway) but, based on history and demographics, I would be positively shocked if Christian ideas and institutions were not significantly more active than Muslim ones in Canadian political discourse.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #376
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Most of the refugees admitted to Canada during the Bosnian conflict were Christian, and I don't remember much of a push back against them (albeit, I was a teenager).
I believe that "most" of them were Bosnian Muslims, actually. Christian Croatians in Bosnia fled to Croatia proper at the time. But people equate white Europeans with Christian all the time.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #377
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I'm not convinced that two examples proves that it is a misconception. There are few studies on the topic (that I can find anyway) but, based on history and demographics, I would be positively shocked if Christian ideas and institutions were not significantly more active than Muslim ones in Canadian political discourse.
Why the focus on institutions? These sorts of social issues are contested at the grass-roots level. And at the grass-roots level, you'll find stronger opposition to liberal initiatives such as sex education, LGBT school alliances, and HPV vaccinations in communities of immigrants than in Canada as a whole.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:46 PM   #378
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why the focus on institutions? These sorts of social issues are contested at the grass-roots level. And at the grass-roots level, you'll find stronger opposition to liberal initiatives such as sex education, LGBT school alliances, and HPV vaccinations in communities of immigrants than in Canada as a whole.
Because the views of Joe Blow (or Joe Singh or Joe Kim etc) from down the street are not likely to generate a newspaper article or television news segment (such as the one that started this thread) that in turn generates "bashing" by "the regressive left" (which is what I understood you to be complaining about.)
Old 03-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #379
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am curious to know: why do you think this matters? It is not really a question that is addressed directly by "the Bible" because it is not something that was deemed altogether very important to those who wrote about creation. It is a mistake to expect things from the Bible that it simply does not address—this is the source of so much Evangelical hermeneutical silliness in the first place.
because i'm pretty sure there is nothing mentioned of the existence of dinosaurs, the earths age in the billions, age of the universe, size of the universe, evolution etc. correct me if i'm wrong but these facts are ignored and even denied.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #380
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
because i'm pretty sure there is nothing mentioned of the existence of dinosaurs, the earths age in the billions, age of the universe, size of the universe, evolution etc. correct me if i'm wrong but these facts are ignored and even denied.
Why would ancient Semitic people living in the Levant have any reason to write about such things? How would they have even known about dinosaurs, geological ages, outer space, and the biochemical processes of reproduction and species propagation? One cannot "ignore" nor "deny" things that she or he lacks the capacity to know.

Your incredulity at their ignorance is just as off-putting and absurd as the bilblicist's insistence on the scientific veracity of the Old Testament. Raising questions that scripture never intended to address is the other side of a flat, literalistic, hermeneutical coin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: