Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Atrial fibrillation: anyone have it?

Had it since I was 23. Genetic as my dad's side many men have it. Has anyone had the catheter ablation operation done and if not how do you manage it.

It really hits home in regards to the fact that none of us are immortal. Be kind to each other. Love and forget about hate. It's not worth it.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I had it when I was in my mid thirties. It just came on and it was noticable. I could literally feel my heart beat out of rhythm through my whole body. I also got really dizzy.

I went to the Cardio unit at foothills and they ran the ultrasounds and blood tests and everything and they decided to attempt rate control and put me on Beta Blockers. Which almost killed me because it triggered a asthma attack that end up having the humiliation of basically collapsing in the middle of a meeting at work and being rushed the foothills. They changed my treatment to calcium channel blockers. While the problem didn't go away its considered managed. I was on the calcium channel blockers for a few months

The doctor did talk about the last resort surgical option and I basically wanted to avoid the whole catheter up the groin thing that the doctor was talking about.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I've had Paroxysmal AF since I was 22. I've been cardioverted a handful of times, other times I've been able to kick out of it on my own.

They tried a "pill in the pocket" approach to cardioversion the last time I was in. It kicked me down to 5 beats per minute. Nothing makes you feel like you might be dying than more than 10 seconds between heart beats.

I've found physically, it isn't all that bad. Mentally, it has been awful.

I can't imagine having it all the time. I just hope mine doesn't get worse. Otherwise I will be quite eager to get a catheter ablation, although those sound hit or miss depending on who performs them.

Have you looked into magnesium or potassium supplementation at all? The doctors at the AF clinic here will poo-poo it, but there has been some fascinating research in that department. Basically 0 risk to try, besides a few $.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have some kind of tachycardia thing. Basically something will trigger my heart (usually a sudden movement) to kick into high gear and it just stays there. I've always been able to slow it down by relaxing, laying down, and sometimes doing some focused pressure pushes (think bracing to push out a poop, without the pooping). Never last longer than 20-30 minutes, and only happens maybe a couple times a month. I've had it since I was very young and doctors have looked at it a bunch and told me it's nothing to worry about, it's not a bad kind. Unless for some reason I can't get it to slow down sometime.

Anyways, probably mostly unrelated and not helpful. Just thought I'd share though.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
(think bracing to push out a poop, without the pooping)
This can be applicable to AF as well if it is sympathetically triggered.

I've found my to be parasympathetically triggered, so doing the above (called a vagal maneuver) can actually kick me into an episode. As can bending over, or indigestion as they all stimulate the vegus nerve.

Sympathetically triggered people can also be set off by booze, as it's a stimulant.

Luckily for me, I think being hammered actually prevents me from slipping into arrhythmia... haha.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #6
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
This can be applicable to AF as well if it is sympathetically triggered.

I've found my to be parasympathetically triggered, so doing the above (called a vagal maneuver) can actually kick me into an episode. As can bending over, or indigestion as they all stimulate the vegus nerve.

Sympathetically triggered people can also be set off by booze, as it's a stimulant.

Luckily for me, I think being hammered actually prevents me from slipping into arrhythmia... haha.
Alcohol is a depressant by drug classification.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comforting, although unfortunate, to see others have been dealing with it since a very young age as well(quite rare for anyone under 40 or 50). Ive had A fib since my mid 20s. First episode occurred after attending an intense Islanders-Flames game on my bday in which I consumed a few beers, smoked a couple cigarettes (despite not being a smoker), and then had a couple diet cokes- so stimulant overload. Was cardioverted a few times in the first couple years and went through all the tests to confirm no structural issues in my heart. Anyway, I was depressed for a good year or so after being diagnosed, but came to terms with it, lost a good 60lb and took up a very active and healthy lifestyle. Have been episode free for several years now. It doesn't effect or alter my life at all now- I went cold turkey on all the stimulants for the longest time, but have since reintroduced everything back in with moderation- drink coffee every day and have a drink when I want. Work out at least 5 times a week, and while I occasionally get a little blip, no sustained episodes. Definitely sympathize with those that go into a depression following a diagnosis, but things get better as you educate yourself on the condition and learn what works for you as far as reducing the episodes.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 04-21-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post: