Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #461
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Yeah. I said the main arc (episode VII, VIII..) characters were more developed. The one apparent weakness of Rogue One.

What the main arc could use more of now is the darker tone, ruthless villains and great action that was on the other hand featured prominently in Rogue.
Ah, sorry, reading is hard sometimes

Very likely there's going to be darker moments in the main arc going forward, but as a personal preference I think "high adventure" is the best overall tone for Star Wars, which is why I'd keep that as the tone of the main arc. You can still explore some pretty dark themes within that style.

I don't mind the darker stuff, but I'd keep most of it in the spinoffs.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #462
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I re-watched Rogue One last night, my wifes first time, and she thought Tarkin looked pretty bad at parts but thought Leia was old footage it looked so good.

Still a great movie on the second watch, even better I think. The part with Chopper you can actually hear him for a split second, so well done. Admiral Raddus is a bad ass, a true hero. You can also see the Ghost flying around during the battle, I looked hard to see if it gets blown up and I didn't see it.. so I am assuming Hera is still alive at the start of Episode IV.

The forced cameos weren't as cool the second time, like the guys from the Tatooine bar and C3P0/R2, but I had more appreciation for Dodonna and Mothma this second watch, both actors did a great job of recreating the original performance, although Dodonna was very limited.

All and all just a great, fun movie. I didn't think I would enjoy these one shots but I was wrong, Rogue One > TFA.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #463
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I agree last night, I was sitting at home last night and decided to watch it again, and I really did like it better the TFA just because the pacing was better.

To me this was like the old war movies made in the 40's and 50's. It had great pacing and yeah it maybe lacked some character development, but I didn't think that mattered much to me in the context in the movie.

On a smaller screen Tarkin didn't look great, but at the same time the CGI effects made him look reptilian so in that effect it worked.

I still had those moments of anticipation of Vader kicking butt, but here's the funny thing, I went back and watched revenge of the Sith when Anakin was fighting Dooku and the way that Vader walked and used his light saber was really similar which was cool.

Also the scene when he was walking around Krennic in the castle was very Anakin like.

The one thing that I thought about was before Rogue one when I would watch the prequels, when I fired up ANH and saw Vader for the first time, I felt some sympathy that there was the good man that was Anakin under the mask, broken and beaten by the events that lead to his fall.

But when I saw him in Rogue one I saw a Vader at the height of his powers and Rage (Rebels really added to that too) He was now a man consumed by his duties to the Empire and the Dark side and at that point didn't care, he didn't know that he had kids, he didn't care about anything but the whole bringing peace and order to the galaxy and he was a man that had buried Anakin and wasn't him anymore.

The battle scenes were really well done, and what I liked about it was there were ordinary men fighting the Empire especially in the scenes where they were supporting the troops on the ground. In the TFA when Poe was flying around killing a billion tie fighters and strafing storm troopers while Poe was screaming about what a great pilot he was, I think it in reflection was actually too far over the top and once again made the StormTroopers and Tie pilots look hapless.

In a way the feel in this movie as a stand alone was that it had a darker tone then ESB in a way because realistically while they had the Death Star Plans the Rebels lost this badly and the plans really didn't mean much because of the way they portrayed the Empire. An Empire that I might add was ruthless enough to destroy their own base to kill a handful of rebels. The hero's were dead, the Rebel flagship was seized and probably their best field commander was captured or dead.

One thing that I would think would have been cool was after the Tantive IV jumped we go back to Vader and we hear the voice of that Admiral on the Star Destroyer simply saying, "We've tracked their course My Lord". And Vader simply saying "Return to the Shuttle and prepare my Star Destroyer for my arrival" which would have been a neat wink to ESB.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #464
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I watched it again last night at home, and loved it even more! I finally caught Chopper...missed him the 3 times I saw it in the theatre. Honestly, I thought the CGI looked better at home than on the big screen. But just goes to show how everyone's perceptions are different.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:39 PM   #465
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I agree last night, I was sitting at home last night and decided to watch it again, and I really did like it better the TFA just because the pacing was better.

To me this was like the old war movies made in the 40's and 50's. It had great pacing and yeah it maybe lacked some character development, but I didn't think that mattered much to me in the context in the movie.
Yeah, Rogue One straight out of the 'suicidal mission to turn the tide of the war' genre. Of course, that hasn't been a mainstream movie genre in about 40 years, so it left a lot of people scratching their heads. But I like it. And preferred it to the Star Wars re-skin of The Force Awakens.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #466
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

One of my favorite war time movies was still the Devils Brigade.

A movie about Canadians and Americans coming together to form the First Services Brigade.

Their final mission was one where everyone had failed at, they had to take a hill from the German's in Italy and against all odds they took the hill.

But during the course of the final battle they lost a lot of the main characters, some of them died pretty anonymously. Then after they had won, the Germans had killed the ranking Canadian.

It reminded me or Rogue one, right down to after the Rebel victory which was getting the transmission out, you still had hopes that the two main characters would find a miracle way out, that's what hero's do, but instead they died without even knowing if the transmission was received.

This was every WW2 movie that I grew up watching as a kid based on good against impossible odds with sacrifices required to win.

It was really a pretty creative jump in the Star Wars universe.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 09:55 PM   #467
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other movies in the genre:

The Guns of Navarone
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Dirty Dozen
Where Eagles Dare
Too Late the Hero
The Wild Geese
Force 10 from Navarone

About the only modern example I can think of is Saving Private Ryan.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #468
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya I think that is why I loved this movie so much, wow I just went from liked to loved, because it was a different take on one of my favourite make believe universes. Unless LOTR happens in this same universe!?!? DOES IT?!!?

They tried something different, took a risk and it paid off. The best part about all of it is that the success of Rogue One has opened the door for them to try all kinds of things with the one offs now. It's like what Deadpool has done for the R rated comic book movie genre.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #469
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

That was one humorless movie. The only comedy came from a robot.

It looked great though, and was more adult than the Lucas films.

Last edited by troutman; 04-10-2017 at 01:20 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #470
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That was one humorless movie. The only comedy came from a robot.

It looked great though, and was more adult than the Lucas films.
Do we need comedy in Star Wars though? Even as a kid I found the humour in Star Wars to be cringe worthy.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #471
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Just rewatched...very entertaining but far from perfect.

My biggest gripe is with the pacing. The first half of the movie just felt like they were going to random places just for the sake of it.

I also felt like Jyn's role was over-expanded in the 2nd act. It made sense for her to be more involved early on, when rescuing her father was the main issue. Beyond that, the army is filled with far more experienced people. Unlike Luke, she is not an extremely powerful force user, but it seems like they were trying to shoehorn her into a Luke like role.

The final shot with Leia also ruined the mood. The "Hope" line was cheesy and unnecessary. Yes, we all know that episode IV is called "A New Hope", and this is a prequel.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #472
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We watched it a few nights ago. I thought it was boring.

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #473
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Seriously though, right on queue:

Last edited by GreenLantern; 04-11-2017 at 02:14 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #474
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
Do we need comedy in Star Wars though? Even as a kid I found the humour in Star Wars to be cringe worthy.
The first 2 films are actually fairly light on comedy. They have C3PO and Han both providing comedy. Both actually make sense in their respective roles and aren't too over the top. In the 3rd film, they add in those zany Ewoks, and things just go downhill from there in the prequels.

I'd compare the humour level in Rogue One to that of the Empire Strikes back. It makes sense, as both deal with relatively dark content.

What the new films are missing, in terms of mood, is someone with the charisma level of Han Solo. That's pretty difficult to replicate though. The writers of the original series managed to write Han Solo in a way that made him an outlaw, without being overly dark or serious. In terms of humour and mood, that's definitely the route to follow, as opposed to cramming in Ewok type characters.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #475
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

The final shot with Leia also ruined the mood. The "Hope" line was cheesy and unnecessary. Yes, we all know that episode IV is called "A New Hope", and this is a prequel.
It also doesn't really feel like something Leia would say. In the original trilogy she's never prone to that kind of pathos.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #476
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly think that trooper at the end of the movie was holding the door closed.

"Help us!!"

'Um, yeah man, its jammed. Good luck against that lightsaber wielding lunatic, but I'm going to be on this side of the door.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #477
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cassian being the one Vader choke holds to the ceiling and Jyn being the one passing the plans through the door as Vader stabs them would have been a much darker end I feel Disney missed the boat with. People wanted something new and the brutal, helpless slaughter of main characters would definitely give them that.

"If they got off the planet why don't we see them in the original tril...oh. Oh my goodness!"
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #478
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I honestly think that trooper at the end of the movie was holding the door closed.

"Help us!!"

'Um, yeah man, its jammed. Good luck against that lightsaber wielding lunatic, but I'm going to be on this side of the door.'
I laughed because I was thinking the same thing the first thing I saw it. Some poor private seeing something he'd never seen before, a guy with a laser sword throwing people around with his mind.

Seal the blast doors seal the blastdoors.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #479
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
It also doesn't really feel like something Leia would say. In the original trilogy she's never prone to that kind of pathos.
I get it's mostly a reference to ANH but it ties into her saying hope:
"Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope"
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #480
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I get it's mostly a reference to ANH but it ties into her saying hope:
"Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope"
Yeah, which makes it bad.

References for their own sake are just annoying.
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post: