OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny's Moustache View Post
No

and No.

But let your hatred flow.

I bet you think Fury Road was the best movie of the year to. Which would be very typical of people like you.
Yeah I can see you'll make lots of friends here.

What the over/under on months before ban?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #242
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Months? More likely days.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #243
Lanny's Moustache
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Good job evading the question posed.
Lanny's Moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #244
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey so, Star Wars. It's fun.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #245
Lanny's Moustache
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Hey so, Star Wars. It's fun.
It's more than fun.

And I apologize if your point and mine were crossed up.

I won't back down to bullying haters though.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #246
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

thread sucks now thanks to previously banned guy ranting about stuff that wasn't being discussed. this sure could use a good long Captain Crunch history lesson/fan fiction monologue to get things back on track.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #247
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sooo, on another topic... somebody help me out with my thoughts on the C3PO cameo...

It's been a while since I saw ANH, but doesn't Luke find him in the scrap yard and then get to work on him? That would leave a very tight time line for C3PO to go from hanging out with the rebels to a scrap yard on Tatooine.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:14 PM   #248
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Sooo, on another topic... somebody help me out with my thoughts on the C3PO cameo...

It's been a while since I saw ANH, but doesn't Luke find him in the scrap yard and then get to work on him? That would leave a very tight time line for C3PO to go from hanging out with the rebels to a scrap yard on Tatooine.
You're confusing ANH with Ep. I.

Anakin finds him in scrap and builds him. Uncle Owen buys him and R2D2 from Jawas after they crash on Tatooine.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:56 AM   #249
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I intentionally went to the movie with no knowledge about it at all, and nothing about the CGI characters, and it wasn't until looking up how the Leia scene was done that we learned about how they did her and Tarkin. So with no knowledge of it, the effects didn't bother me at all.

Now when I watch it again I'll be looking for it, so it'll be interesting to see how I see it differently then.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #250
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good job evading the question posed.
You didn't ask a question.

Though it seems to be "Durr, why do people complain about bad CGI but like good CGI?" -- it's not surprising you can't quite figure it out on your own.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #251
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched it with the kids yesterday. I liked it better than The Force Awakens. More of a gritty war story, with less of the derivative and forced myth-making. Knowing the lore behind the death star plans in Star Wars, I wasn't surprised that everybody dies. My kids sure were, though!

The CGI on Tarkin and Leia was obvious - and I didn't know about it beforehand. I can see why they did it.. But it was obvious.

One thing that I find odd is how similar the leads are in Rogue 1 and The Force Awakens. Both resolute orphaned girls played by young British actresses who look a lot alike. Oscar Isaac and Diego Luna also share the same look and play similar characters. The movies would have played pretty much the same if they swapped both pairs of actors and their performances to the other movie. Are Star Wars motifs so deeply entrenched that every movie has to cast similar actors in similar roles in every film?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #252
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm-reading comprehension.

Last edited by Magnum PEI; 12-29-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #253
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

The CGI on Tarkin and Leia was obvious - and I didn't know about it beforehand. I can see why they did it.. But it was obvious.
I feel really silly, but I didn't get pulled out by the effects on Tarkin. I did watch in 3D, so everything already had a weird 3D effect. Also, I didn't read anything beforehand about face matching technology being employed.

I guess when Tarkin first appeared, I was awed at what I was seeing. "Hey, that's Tarkin...how'd they do that? Oh well, back to the story."

So I am sorry to say their trickery worked on me!
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #254
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rogue One might have been a "better" movie in the critical sense, and more in keeping with the tone of the Star Wars franchise, but I vastly preferred the characters in TFA and was far more entertained by it. Finn and Rey were awesome.

Can't say I truly enjoyed any character in R1. K2SO was funny but I felt the humor was a little forced. Felicity Jones was awkward to the point of distraction.

Last edited by Machiavelli; 12-29-2016 at 10:54 AM. Reason: ...
Machiavelli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Machiavelli For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #255
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I missed the fun it seems - who was Lanny's Mustache in a former life?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #256
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

After watching for the 2nd time, nd knowing Tarkin was CGI, I went straight home to watch ANH.

They did a great job of CGI Tarkin. Tarkin is such a robotic and calculated character to begin with, and Peter Cushing barely moves his head in ANH. The replicated his movements and mannerisms perfectly IMO.

I thought the pinnacle of the movie was when Leia turned around and said "hope". It was important to CGI her in instead of doing a recast.

Having said all of that about good CGI, practical effects should always be the first choice if possible. Practical effects made TFA so good.

Also worth mentioning for the millionth time, that Vader scene at the end was nerdgasmic. Makes Kylo look like a little pomeranian puppy nipping at someone's heels LoL.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #257
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I went for a second time and because I took my folks I didn't see it in 3d

I didn't mind the Tarkin CGI at all in non 3d, I actually thought it was very cool to see Peter Cushing and he was as cold and reptilian and unblinking as he was in ANH.

Seeing Leia again in the end was somehow really heart wrenching for me knowing that Carrie Fisher had recently died. I actually spent some time rubbing some dirt out of my eyes.

This wasn't the same Star Wars formula at all. This was a vastly different movie, and as much as at the end of the first time seeing it I thought that Krennic was mildly sympathetic, that completely vanished in the second movie as he was the typical Imperial Military officer in that he had a hunger for advancement and recognition from the Emperor, something that everyone of them wanted.

I guess I really liked the Saw character and resolution to it. They talked about Saw being a completely ruthless rebel who didn't fight with the same ideals as the alliance, and it took Jyn to jolt him back to being almost regretful of his life's past and in the end he was tired and worn out and accepting of his fate.

I thought Chirrut and Blaze were a fantastic brotherhood, but at the same time, I'm still bothered by a couple of things.

First that Stormtrooper armor is still too weak to stop attacks by a guy or ewok with a stick, and second of all, that the Rebellion was basically killing wounded soldiers, in that I wondered what the difference was between the Rebels and the Empire.

I thought Jyn was fantastic as she went from an angry individual to a leader.

I did think that Cassian was a pretty forgetful character overall as was Bodhi. It just felt like Cassian was only there to die with Jyn in the end.

K-2SO was a lot of fun but for some reason his death hit me more then the others.

Vader was fantastic especially in that last scene where you saw the rage and hatred and resolve that Anakin had given in to. Unfurtunately I think that JEJ voice has weakened to the point that maybe they need to look for other Vader voices going forward. I did like his cast off line to Krennic though.

The battle scenes were fantastically well done especially with the familiar faces from ANH. The Star Destroyers looked amazing to me.

Could the movie have been better? After watching it a second time, sure there were little nitpicking things that at the end of the day didn't matter.

You would think that in the GFFA the Empire would have something better then a robotic media storage facility with hard drives.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #258
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was pretty underwhelmed by the film. Unoriginal and overly cliched. I will give Disney credit for having the heroes die in the end but beyond that there isn't much to like about Rogue One. Barley above the level of episodes 1-3 and well below 4-7.

For the record I really enjoyed The Force Awakens.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #259
Lanny's Moustache
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You didn't ask a question.

Though it seems to be "Durr, why do people complain about bad CGI but like good CGI?" -- it's not surprising you can't quite figure it out on your own.
Evade the question, then evade again and act like a child when called out for it. You'd make a good POTUS.

If you have nothing else to say but "CGI BAD. ME SMART!" then perhaps you should just keep your limited thinking abilities to yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I missed the fun it seems - who was Lanny's Mustache in a former life?
Do you think I give out my 14 year old phone number to some complete stranger on the internet to vet my existence repeatedly? I have not been an active member of this board before. I signed up to ask a question which was removed by the mods, even though people ask the same question all the time and are rewarded for their requests. Lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Having said all of that about good CGI, practical effects should always be the first choice if possible. Practical effects made TFA so good.
Which practical effects were the ones that made TFA so good? The shoddy motion of the giant ridden puppet creature? The robotic pecking vulture (which was Steven Spielberg's contribution)? Or all the spaceships?!

If you want to say all the costumes and alien characters running around, all 3 prequels had tons of them to. And they shot on many real locations including twice back in the deserts of Tunisia, Lake Como in Italy and on the edge of a live active volcano to capture elements. They also built miniatures ala all the glory The Lord of the Rings gets as well. People just like to ignore the facts and go for the irrational hate because that's what sells on the internet.

People need to educate themselves instead of just buying into buzz words. CGI was used all over TFA including replacing a multitude of "practical effects". BB-8 was a puppet with a lot of augmented CGI elements, or fully CGI. No one picks apart which scenes are which because frankly, no one cares. Unkar Plutt's entire practical face was replaced with CGI in TFA. A decision made after principal photography when it was realized the practical face didn't work. This deleted scene shows CGI work in progress.

What makes a movie great is it's story, it's characters, it's emotion. Effects, be them fully practical, computer generated or any combination of the methods available at the time to film makers, are only a small part of telling that story the same as lighting, camera movement etc. Otherwise it's called a demo reel.

But you are correct in saying the CGI Tarkin looks far more like ANH Tarkin than most people will even care to investigate and realize. It's easier and more fun to whip out your phone and post your "man screaming at cloud" reaction and join the party than actually investigate anything. Then wag your giant internet dick around when someone disagrees with you and calls you out for your simple-minded hate filled actions.

These aren't a bunch of chumps slapping together janky CGI in their parent's basement for a fan film. These are people who have and will again win the highest awards for their work. Denis Murren has 9 Academy Awards for work beginning with the FX industry revolution in the late 70's to the birth and continued evolution of the digital effects age. Don't think for a moment that in 1976 if he had the tools of today they wouldn't be used in favour of "the old ways". John Knoll, the man behind CGI Takin, INVENTED Photoshop.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #260
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
I signed up to ask a question which was removed by the mods, even though people ask the same question all the time and are rewarded for their requests. Lesson learned.
Asking for copies of copyrighted material isn't something I see asked all the time, nor have I seen moderators reward people for those many requests.

If you see people requesting illegal copies of copyrighted material report the post.

Not sure what "lesson" you're referring to, other than the lesson that requesting copyrighted material should get your post edited.

EDIT: And I'll mention it again, you need to bring your intensity level down a few notches; discuss the topic with a person. Rants are nice in small quantities, but not as the only mode of response on a topic.