Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #81
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Japanese version for me. Actually, it was just that little blonde Armin character... is a main male character voiced by a very feminine female.

Also, they are all together the worst soldiers possible. Every order given for something large or small is whined about, whined about in their head, then argued, then maybe performed. Everything seems so crazy all the time and acting promptly would be important, but it takes them 10 minutes just to say okay.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #82
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Harlock Space Pirate was a good movie. I like the high quality 3D animation.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #83
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
The Japanese version for me. Actually, it was just that little blonde Armin character... is a main male character voiced by a very feminine female.

Also, they are all together the worst soldiers possible. Every order given for something large or small is whined about, whined about in their head, then argued, then maybe performed. Everything seems so crazy all the time and acting promptly would be important, but it takes them 10 minutes just to say okay.
Lol, so true. But that's pretty much the norm in most Japanese anime. The main character is almost always defying orders. In real life, the guy would be arrested, detained, or even shot dead for insubordination, regardless of how "righteous" he thought his actions were.

But then again, this is anime and it's sure not meant to be realistic. It's actually pretty refreshing to watch an anime that has a main character who isn't all whiny, hot headed, and likes to shout. Not sure if that's somehow seen as the ideal Japanese teenager, as it seems like most main characters are built this way.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #84
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Thought Ep. 4 of Korra was kind of weak, that they were trying a little too hard to echo the first series with adventures, but still like the kids to have screen time.

Cool when they got to the tree, the music is always great.

And the scene at the end, good stuff.

Good Korra episode, I guess when I say weak I'm just comparing it to the original series, overall Korra is good but the writing just doesn't compare overall. Still better than tons of stuff.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #85
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Thought Ep. 4 of Korra was kind of weak, that they were trying a little too hard to echo the first series with adventures, but still like the kids to have screen time.

Cool when they got to the tree, the music is always great.

And the scene at the end, good stuff.

Good Korra episode, I guess when I say weak I'm just comparing it to the original series, overall Korra is good but the writing just doesn't compare overall. Still better than tons of stuff.
I have to agree. I love Korra but it's just not as well constructed as a whole like the original series was. Outside of Bolin and Korra i just can't connect with the other main characters. I always found Mako very bland and boring. One of my friends said that they liked him better than Zuko LOL! Mako wishes he could hold Zuko's jock strap. Also Asami is just not an interesting character to me. Apparently she was suppose to be a villain early on but that was scrapped. That would've made way more sense than what she turned out being. At least she is nice to look at.

Still enjoying the last season of the Avatar series. I hope Toph shows up again this season but i have a feeling she won't. Also, what about Rohan? Shouldn't he be walking and talking by now? How come he hasn't been shown at all?

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 10-27-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #86
photon

Exp:

I wonder if they just didn't know how many season they'd have so couldn't commit to a story arc across all the seasons like the original series.

I actually like Mako and I think we'll get good Mako development later this season with Bolin being in the Earth Kingdom, but yeah he's not even close to Zuko. I don't think Korra is even as developed as any of the top 5 in the original series. Heck I feel I know more about Azula than Korra.

I like Korra, Bolin, and Jinora. Tenzin too, though I'm frustrated because he should kick more ass, when a spontaneously formed air bender with a few months of practice can out-bend a master, that just wrong. Hopefully we'll get another Tenzin's serious now moment.

Have you ever heard if they'll be doing a Blu-ray release of the original series?
Old 10-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #87
photon

Exp:

Yeah I just rewatched part of The Ultimatum, Tenzin should have kicked more butts before being overpowered.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #88
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:

Have you ever heard if they'll be doing a Blu-ray release of the original series?
People are still waiting for a soundtrack from the original series lol.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #89
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I just realized that outside of photon and I there really are no Avatar fans on CP . I figured there would be more.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #90
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I gave Avatar a chance based on your posts but I couldn't get past the first few episodes. It seems a little juvenile.

Any love for Knights of Sidonia?
Two Fivenagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #91
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
I gave Avatar a chance based on your posts but I couldn't get past the first few episodes. It seems a little juvenile.

Any love for Knights of Sidonia?
Well there's your problem.

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 11-04-2014 at 04:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey_Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #92
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Nickelodeon is just dumb. Why the hell would you cut the budget of the best show on your own network? I mean, how many people even care about Spongebob now days?
Old 12-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #93
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Well Legend of Korra is done. I thought it was a nice send of to the Avatar universe, but I have this bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like they could've done more with the series and the characters but eh, it's hard to live up to a show like Avatar: The Last Airbender. At times they did, but at times they didn't. Not shocked that Korrasami happened seeing how the creators are big tumblr users and see the fans suggestions every single day. Overall I'd give Korra an 8.5/10.

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 12-19-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #94
photon

Exp:

No kiss?!?!?!

BOOOOOO!!!!!
Old 12-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #95
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
No kiss?!?!?!

BOOOOOO!!!!!
Never question the power of the internet....

Spoiler!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #96
photon

Exp:

That's not going in for a kiss they look like they're going to take a bite of their ice cream sandwiches.

You know they animated it; maybe on the bluray release.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #97
photon

Exp:
Default Cartoon/Anime thread.

Anyway for the show, mostly agree though I'd say a solid 7.5 or 8, has lots of great moments but those moments weren't as great without as awesome context as the first series. Writing wasn't as good, maybe because they didn't do all the seasons as one big arc (they obviously didn't know they'd be around long enough to do it).

Will have to go back and re watch the whole series at some point as watching it that way you see it differently.

Biggest thing that bugged me is how weak the avatar state was, old avatars cut islands in half.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #98
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Biggest thing that bugged me is how weak the avatar state was, old avatars cut islands in half.
The problem with being a supremely powerful being is that it doesn't make for good television after a while. You know what the end result will be.

Big Avatar fan here, didn't even think to check this thread before! I actually haven't watched Korra yet but will be soon (wanted the show to end so I can watch it regularly like I did with The Last Airbender series)
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #99
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
The problem with being a supremely powerful being is that it doesn't make for good television after a while. You know what the end result will be.
Oh for sure, but I don't mean she had to be supremely powerful. Ang was at times scary powerful without being too OP throughout the series or against Ozai at the end.

Just felt like the avatar state went from SSJ2 to just Kaio-ken.

EDIT: Hah you wanna talk about OP, you know who's OP, earth benders! That's the other thing that would make me grind my teeth sometimes, there was earth benders around ALL the time and stuff would happen that I would be going nuts wondering why the earth benders didn't do something Toph would have done. Not something really powerful, just something obvious and easy for any earth bender.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #100
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I got my christian mother hooked on ATLA and Korra. Of course she enjoyed ATLA. Korra, not so much. And as you could expect, she hated the ending lol.