Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2016, 09:26 AM   #461
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Was not the season finale I was expecting, felt more like a season opener. I wonder who put that note on the car?
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #462
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Is this commentator (Jefe) to this review right?

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/better-...hilling-235434

I feel like Chuck is getting "Skylar'd" somewhat by the comentariat. He's morally and ethically in the right, but because he's not fun, he's the bad guy.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 02:54 PM   #463
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Is this commentator (Jefe) to this review right?

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/better-...hilling-235434

I feel like Chuck is getting "Skylar'd" somewhat by the comentariat. He's morally and ethically in the right, but because he's not fun, he's the bad guy.
Interesting comparison.

SPOILER ALERT FOR BREAKING BAD (you shouldn't even be reading this anyway)

Skyler gets mixed reactions because she's also an unlikeable, three dimensional character. At the end of BB she has her redemptive moments, but during certain portions of the show she is down in the muck with Walt as well. She makes a conscious decision in her lawyers office to stick with him and eventually to launder the money. In the end she is as much responsible for the death of Hank and Gomey as Walt is.

Like Chuck, she used lies and coercion and manipulation throughout the series, whether for self-interest or otherwise, and sometimes in order to trip up or cause problems for the show's protagonist. In real life these aren't necessarily bad people, but on TV they are.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #464
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I don't think they're similar. A couple of times Chuck has shown himself to be quite the assh*le - the insane jealousy of Jimmy's law career, and the moment in the hospital after his mother died where he tells Jimmy that she didn't wake up when instead she actually asked for Jimmy. That's cold as ####.

Now granted, we don't see too much of their life before the show. We don't know exactly what Jimmy has done to Chuck in their past that would warrant such actions, so maybe he's justified, but probably not.

Last edited by Swift; 04-20-2016 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Assh*le is a banned word??
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:51 PM   #465
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decent finale. The drawn out suspense with the Mike/scope scene was great.The upside down hospital shot was different, and well played out.
I called the recorder right away, but I also incorrectly thought "the is how why he needs the wheelchair".
I really like Wormius' guess about the name change.
Fantastic season. I just hate that we must wait so long for the next one to begin.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #466
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

People didn't get that Chuck was conning Jimmy until he fished out the recorder? It jumped out at me as soon as Chuck started trying to own up to making the mistake.

I also disagree that Chuck is in the right, morally and ethically. He's definitely down in the muck now, to use a Flash Walken-ism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Fantastic season. I just hate that we must wait so long for the next one to begin.
To bide the time, I decided I'm going to watch Breaking Bad episodes featuring Saul in the meantime. Watched his first appearance last night.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 04-20-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #467
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
A lot of people disliked Chuck, but in Season 2, we get a little bit of his side of things.
Odd take on it. I found Chuck less and less likeable as season 2 went on. Not that he was overly likeable to begin with.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #468
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it was Gus, or someone working for Gus, who left the note. Gus had a personal vendetta with Hector after he murdered his business partner right in front of him. He surely had the opportunity to kill him many times but wanted to break him first. Remember the trips to the nursing home where Hector woudn't look at him? Gus kept visiting him "Is this the day Hector?". He loved to torture him with news that this friends and family were dead. Also it seems likely that Gus was getting his product from the Cartel and he showed in BB that he would do almost anything to keep the supply flowing.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #469
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
People didn't get that Chuck was conning Jimmy until he fished out the recorder? It jumped out at me as soon as Chuck started trying to own up to making the mistake.

I also disagree that Chuck is in the right, morally and ethically. He's definitely down in the muck now, to use a Flash Walken-ism.

To bide the time, I decided I'm going to watch Breaking Bad episodes featuring Saul in the meantime. Watched his first appearance last night.
Yeah, it became obvious at a certain point through the episode what Chuck was trying to do, constantly asking if he *really* meant it. I am surprised Jimmy didn't see through that, but I guess Chuck had to ask to be positive.

I didn't know it would be a tape recorder though. For some reason, I also expected Hamlin t walk out from behind the foil sheeting.

I am enjoying the last insider podcast, but damn they spent the duration of my morning commute praising each others' work on the episodes. Anyway, still remarkable the level of detail they put into each episode and the difficulties in involved. Not sure if other TV shows do that, since I am not following any others, but still from the music to the locations this has been an amazing show. I wish there some good shows that overlap more. Like a season of Fargo and BCS.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #470
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Discussing the show at work today I brought up the Ernesto/Fring theory.

It would make sense that Ernesto would cover for Jimmy if he thought that Jimmy was useful. Jimmy's a smart lawyer that is shady, the perfect type of lawyer that Fring would need.

Fring also is a smart businessman that had aggressive expansion of his fried chicken business, the type of expansion that he'd need an excellent law firm to handle the paper work for... a law firm like HHM perhaps?

Do you think that Ernesto is the one that convinces/blackmails Chuck to let Jimmy be Saul? If Ernesto/Fring is connected then Fring can't do anything to directly harm Chuck as Jimmy would sacrifice himself for his brother. Perhaps Chuck cuts him loose which causes Jimmy to turn full Saul?

Now I'm just rambling

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:42 PM   #471
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think Chuck wants to see Jimmy in jail and he knows Jimmy doesn't care about being a lawyer, but I think he desperately wants the people in their lives to see Jimmy as he sees him, as Slipping Jimmy. I think he uses the tape to try and tear down the one thing Jimmy has over him(his likability) and to take away the only thing truly important to Jimmy, Kim.
Re Mike: I think Fring is onto Mike, knows he's responsible for the money heist, knows why he's at the cabin in the desert and knows about his role with Tuco. I think he'll soon approach Mike as only Fring can, professionally, discreetly and with a business opportunity that will benefit both men mutually. A string of Chicken restaurants across New Mexico. oh and the drug thing.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #472
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You can tell chuck derives his self worth from his intelligence, that's what we've seen from him now in a variety of interpersonal scenes. I think he is threatened by Jimmy's intelligence. He is initially proud of Jimmy for the sandpiper case but then seems to grow increasingly possessive of the case himself, eventually calling in his law firm partner to oversee it (and by proxy, get much of the credit).

At think at some level this is a base need for Chuck to prove that he can outsmart Jimmy.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #473
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great show and loving the discussion. I wonder how Jimmy gets his University of American Samoa law degree changed to Saul Goodman? I think BCS could go long on the timeline and merge with BB to have that story being told through Sauls perspective.

One of my favourite characters of the whole BB and BCS series is the gun salesman, I always enjoy his scenes and would love to see another spinoff down the road centering on him. For that matter, a spinoff series based on Bogdan would probably be great too considering the excellent writing and cinematography Gilligan creates.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karl262 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #474
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
Great show and loving the discussion. I wonder how Jimmy gets his University of American Samoa law degree changed to Saul Goodman? I think BCS could go long on the timeline and merge with BB to have that story being told through Sauls perspective.

One of my favourite characters of the whole BB and BCS series is the gun salesman, I always enjoy his scenes and would love to see another spinoff down the road centering on him. For that matter, a spinoff series based on Bogdan would probably be great too considering the excellent writing and cinematography Gilligan creates.

Perhaps even a miniseries centered entirely around the eyebrows.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #475
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Better Call Saul: First look at season 3

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/17...-look-season-3

Might be spoilers . . .

‘Better Call Saul’ Bosses Tease ‘Several’ Returns for ‘Breaking Bad’ Fans

http://wrrv.com/better-call-saul-bre...son-3-returns/

Last edited by troutman; 11-17-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #476
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 01-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #477
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Weird the video is unlisted. Interesting way to market season 3.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #478
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Weird the video is unlisted. Interesting way to market season 3.
I'm just hoping that "Taste The Family" turns into a play on words later in the series when some baddies need to be disappeared.

"Try our new Chorizo!"
Old 01-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #479
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

"Taste The Family"

anagram:

fatality themes
Old 01-11-2017, 04:17 PM   #480
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Giancarlo Esposito ‏@quiethandfilms I'm back!! What you've been waiting for, the rise of Gus is coming! Check this out... #PollosHermanos

Tags
breaking bad , saul goodman