Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #101
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
I thought for a second the thread title was "I'm an Optimist, Ask Me Anything" so I was looking for a fun time when I opened this thread but alas . . . .
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #102
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cheers Aaron

Maybe you can help me with the name of a procedure one of my ophthalmologist was telling me about. He tends to lay the foundation of letting me know what may be in my future a year or so from now

In place of the steroid injections I get in my eyes he was telling me about a procedure where the place a rock like steroid in my eye and dissolves over a course of six months. It's equal to 36 injections. It's only recommended to a very samll group of people that have a inflammation decease in their eyes. $18,000 for the rock

We're not going that route right now but I get the feeling that a couple years from now I might be having that talk again. For the life of me I can't remember the the name of the procedure, ring a bell with you? I wouldn't mind reading up on it just in case I do cross that road

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 02-14-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #103
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
Where did you go to school, and how difficult was it to get admitted?
Undergraduate was at the University of Lethbridge. You need 3 to 4 years there of undergraduate science glasses to apply. You have to pass an interview process and write an admissions test.

Bare minimum is 3.2 GPA to be considered, but if you kill the interview and have a good result on the Admissions test you can get in that way. Conversely i know of a few 4.0 GPAers that did not get in due to poor social/interview skills. It is a social profession where communication is very important.

I did my 4 year Optometry degree at the University of Waterloo. While i was there i met our Esteemed vegetarian friend Cheese, who once helped me get back into an Oktoberfest event i had been kicked out of.

Last edited by Knut; 02-14-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #104
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
I hate my current contact lense precription (acuvue oasys) so much so that I have just gone back to wearing glasses....can I just order a pair of my prefered previous contacts (BL softlens toric) online using the same power, bc, and diameter numbers of my oasys lenses?
Do a proper fitting. Most places will charge a refit fee or a fitting fee. Once you find a lens that works for you then you can purchase them anywhere. It may in fact be the base curve or diameter that is the problem.

The first thing to try with your contacts is to switch solutions. Most comfort issues with contact lenses are solution related.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #105
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Do you have any good, crazy stories?

Is it ever gross?
Got hit on by a female patient high on Meth once. Had to kick her out of the office, and told her to return another day and see a female doctor in the office.

I have a had a few conspiracy nuts in the office that do not want to give any information for fear the government will be able to track them.

Saw a little kid with a huge black fly underneath his eyelid... it was still twitching.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #106
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Do a proper fitting. Most places will charge a refit fee or a fitting fee. Once you find a lens that works for you then you can purchase them anywhere. It may in fact be the base curve or diameter that is the problem.

The first thing to try with your contacts is to switch solutions. Most comfort issues with contact lenses are solution related.
Oh man do I hate Bausch and Lomb solution, it felt like acid in my eyes.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #107
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
If there was a choice between a real hot female Optometrist who wore low cut tops and a geek male optometrist which would you choose?
I am assuming that question is not for me. If it were for me i would answer My Wife.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #108
Free Ben Hur!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is the kind of thread that makes CP so awesome (booger eaters thread notwithstanding). A member offering up objective professional advice on a broad range of questions. Lots of practical advice sprinkled with a few trade secrets and some insiders perspective. And, as always it seems, the requisite number of laugh out loud funny comments and cheeky rhetorical questions. It's a wonder I get anything done in a day.
Free Ben Hur! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Free Ben Hur! For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #109
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
Cheers Aaron

Maybe you can help me with the name of a procedure one of my ophthalmologist was telling me about. He tends to lay the foundation of letting me know what may be in my future a year or so from now

In place of the steroid injections I get in my eyes he was telling me about a procedure where the place a rock like steroid in my eye and dissolves over a course of six months. It's equal to 36 injections. It's only recommended to a very samll group of people that have a inflammation decease in their eyes. $18,000 for the rock

We're not going that route right now but I get the feeling that a couple years from now I might be having that talk again. For the life of me I can't remember the the name of the procedure, ring a bell with you? I wouldn't mind reading up on it just in case I do cross that road
http://www.psivida.com/products-retisert.html

Retisert. Sounds promising as the less you enter the eye with surgical devices the better.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #110
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks a million... yes sounds promising but at $7,200 a year. has a kick to it
Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #111
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You could have a very minor prescription that is not really an issue during the day. It could also be a eye strain issue due to large amounts of computer use. When you sit in front of a computer all day your eyes can get "locked" into a near focus. It is a sign of eyestrain.

You can try and decrease your strain during the day by taking more frequent breaks. The 20/20/20 rule is a good one to follow. Every 20 minutes, take 20 seconds to look 20 ft away. Try that and see if the lights look better. If not, book yourself an eye exam.
Thanks!
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #112
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I'm usually pretty regular with my eye exams because I'm high risk for glaucoma.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #113
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you wear old glasses that undercorrect your vision, does it really affect anything? Increased eye strain? Increased myopia/astigmatism? Other bad effects?
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #114
trumpethead
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have to say, I am amazed how infomative and educational this thread has been. Well done Hesla. Lets hope this opens the door for an "I am a smoking hot masseuse, ask me anything?" thread.
trumpethead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trumpethead For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #115
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
If you wear old glasses that undercorrect your vision, does it really affect anything? Increased eye strain? Increased myopia/astigmatism? Other bad effects?
Increased eye strain yes . Increased prescription, unlikely. Headaches can be an issue with older glasses as well.

Wearing glasses without the correct prescription is really only an issue in Children. It just gives adults headaches/eyestrain.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #116
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I'm usually pretty regular with my eye exams because I'm high risk for glaucoma.
Glaucoma is 20x more likely in someone that has an immediate family member with it. Anyone that has Glaucoma in their family should be having yearly check ups.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #117
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Sometimes we do make more money on certain brands of Contacts. Optometrists should be recommending the lenses based on what they think is best for your eyes. If you fear that this is not the case then seek a second opinion.

The more frequent the replacement of the contacts the healthier the eyes are. It is difficult switch from the yearly replacement lenses as they 1) Desensitize the cornea and 2) the are lower in cost. However, going to higher oxygen, more frequently replaced lens is always going to be healthier and have less complications associated with it. Another problem is that many of the conventional (yearly) replacement lenses are being discontinued by the various contact lens companies. You would have switch eventually.

As for the strain, that could be a prescription thing.
Thanks for the response. I guess I should've said my eyes get irritated much quicker with these disposables compared to my yearly ones, rather than "fatigued". For example, I just opened a new set yesterday, and I've had them in today since 7AM, but I'm already rubbing my eyes occasionally. I do look at a screen for a big chunk of the day though.

Also, what would you say is the best contact solution? My optometrist thinks Clean and Clear (H202 solution) is the best. Personally, I just go for whatever's on sale that day.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #118
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
If there was a choice between a real hot female Optometrist who wore low cut tops and a geek male optometrist which would you choose?
I had the hottest optometrist when I was living in Saskatoon years ago..

And that's it. That's the story.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #119
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Thanks for the response. I guess I should've said my eyes get irritated much quicker with these disposables compared to my yearly ones, rather than "fatigued". For example, I just opened a new set yesterday, and I've had them in today since 7AM, but I'm already rubbing my eyes occasionally. I do look at a screen for a big chunk of the day though.

Also, what would you say is the best contact solution? My optometrist thinks Clean and Clear (H202 solution) is the best. Personally, I just go for whatever's on sale that day.
ClearCare (H202) is my preferred solution as well. Because the preservative (H2O2) is neutralized by the disk in the case it is not left over on the contacts. There is residual preservative left over on contact lenses after sitting in the solution overnight, so that could be cause of your problems.

The problem with just going with what is cheapest is that it may not be the best for your eyes. Try going with the clearcare for your next pair and see if it is better. Just rememeber to not use the clearcare to rinse the contact lens.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #120
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

ClearCare is amazing. It upped my tolerable amount of contact wearing from about 3 hours to 12-16 hours before they bug me. I just scored me two giant bottles of the Walgreen's version in the US for $12. The cases suck though. I wonder why there is no generic solution here...
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote