Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #781
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How do you like your digital electric smoker?

Ive been wishy washy if I should pick one up. Part of me is certain of the deliciousness that will come from it. The other part of me wonders if It is a bit of a novelty item that gets used a few times this summer,and then never again.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #782
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post

Ive been wishy washy if I should pick one up. Part of me is certain of the deliciousness that will come from it. The other part of me wonders if It is a bit of a novelty item that gets used a few times this summer,and then never again.

i can't speak for anyone else, but i love my smokers (both are charcoal) and i've had them for a few years now. most of my smoking is spring thru fall, but i have been known to get the craving when there is snow on the ground!

the meat i've smoked has always been sooooo good...
pork ribs, pork loin, chicken, turkey, beef jerky, brisket, burgers - all delicious!!

then there is the stuff i want to try - pepperoni, sausages, bacon, smoked cheese, smoked salmon - just to name a few

i wasn't sure how much i'd use mine and now i have two... and both get used regularly!
Old 03-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #783
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
wifi for a BBQ? are you planning on setting up a webcam or something?
The green mountain grill model that I was referring to is quite neat. You can monitor the grill temp, meat temp, adjust the heat and set up temperature profiles that adjust the heat based on time or meat temperature all through the app.

In Chris's post above with regards to his buddies thermometer this unit will let you make the adjustments from downtown or have the unit cool right off when a certain temperature is met. It seems pretty awesome to me but wonder if anyone has used it in practice.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #784
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
The green mountain grill model that I was referring to is quite neat. You can monitor the grill temp, meat temp, adjust the heat and set up temperature profiles that adjust the heat based on time or meat temperature all through the app.

In Chris's post above with regards to his buddies thermometer this unit will let you make the adjustments from downtown or have the unit cool right off when a certain temperature is met. It seems pretty awesome to me but wonder if anyone has used it in practice.
the only thing that my buddy's thermometer unit does is send the temps to his phone. he can not make any adjustments to his smoker (it's charcoal - like mine).. which is why i asked him what the point was if he was down town and his smoker was at home!
Old 03-29-2018, 06:12 PM   #785
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
the only thing that my buddy's thermometer unit does is send the temps to his phone. he can not make any adjustments to his smoker (it's charcoal - like mine).. which is why i asked him what the point was if he was down town and his smoker was at home!
It's an ideal way to prank him into getting a speeding ticket. Stop by his place and put a blowtorch to the sensor.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #786
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post

pros:
Flavour is good.
Chips are cheap
Moisture is high
Can go as low as 100f for cold smoking.
Cons:
No smoke ring
Hard to build bark on meat

I do like it but prefer my pellet smoker.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #787
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm debating now between having a gas line installed and buying a gas grill VS a Traeger wood pellet grill/smoker. Anyone have any opinions one way or another?

I've always BBQd a ton during the summer and smoking meat sounds like a good time too. How does the flavour compare from a gas bbq to a wood grill?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #788
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought a Green Mountain Grill recently (Daniel Boone) with the pizza oven attachment and it is awesome!

The app control is fantastic and makes smoking effortless. The pizza oven is also top notch and we've really enjoyed using it.
Spoiler!

Spoilered for big pics.

I've done pizza, a pork roast, firecracker salmon steaks/scallops and bacon wrapped filet mignon on the grill. Also burgers and veggies.

Can't say enough good things about this grill so far. I love the flavour from cooking with pellets and the build quality is better than I expected. I have yet to do a long smoke with it but it's on the to do list for sure.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #789
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

more pictures please

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #790
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Some photos of my latest meatloaf. Used a bacon weave instead of a pan and smoked for approx 2 hours.

fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #791
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know this has been talked about before in the 40 pages of this thread, but I am looking at a new grill for 2018. Anyone have suggestions on natural gas grill?
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #792
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

^^^

I bought a Weber Summit S-470 in natural gas and love it. Packed with features and she gets really hot!

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/g...s/7170001.html
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #793
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
I know this has been talked about before in the 40 pages of this thread, but I am looking at a new grill for 2018. Anyone have suggestions on natural gas grill?
Depends on what you want to use it for as well as your budget.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #794
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post

i lucked out and found this used a couple weeks ago. the guy bought it last august and used it for a few weeks then had to move to ontario. it was in his folk's garage for the last 8 months and they wanted it out. they showed me the original invoice ($730) and i got it for $350. i absolutely LOVE it!

IMG_6169 by bc-chris, on Flickr

IMG_6170 by bc-chris, on Flickr

IMG_6171 by bc-chris, on Flickr

i know it's not a massive bbq (it's pretty close to the size of our old one) but it does the trick for my wife and i. i think in the last 17 years we've been married i only needed a bigger bbq twice, so that's not too bad!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:26 PM   #795
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
i lucked out and found this used a couple weeks ago. the guy bought it last august and used it for a few weeks then had to move to ontario. it was in his folk's garage for the last 8 months and they wanted it out. they showed me the original invoice ($730) and i got it for $350. i absolutely LOVE it!

IMG_6169 by bc-chris, on Flickr

IMG_6170 by bc-chris, on Flickr

IMG_6171 by bc-chris, on Flickr

i know it's not a massive bbq (it's pretty close to the size of our old one) but it does the trick for my wife and i. i think in the last 17 years we've been married i only needed a bigger bbq twice, so that's not too bad!
Excuse me? No pictures of food that you famously grill?

Blasphemy!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:33 PM   #796
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Excuse me? No pictures of food that you famously grill?

Blasphemy!

how about mozza stuffed burgers topped with bacon, mushrooms and marble cheddar?? will that do?

IMG_1347 by bc-chris, on Flickr

IMG_1349 by bc-chris, on Flickr
Old 05-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #797
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
So I'm debating now between having a gas line installed and buying a gas grill VS a Traeger wood pellet grill/smoker. Anyone have any opinions one way or another?

I've always BBQd a ton during the summer and smoking meat sounds like a good time too. How does the flavour compare from a gas bbq to a wood grill?
It doesn’t.
A wood pellet grill is better in almost every regard.
Costco recently had an amazing deal on one And the redflag crew ate it up.

A wood pellet bbq will cost about 3 times as much to operate then a propane bbq when it comes to fuel but the flavour and temperature control cannot be beat. Most $500 plus wood pellet grills have digital temperature control which is amazingly accurate due to the fan forced air and also include a seer plate.

If you have the means and the space (because they are huge) then wood pellet is the way to go. Expect about 10-15 more minutes invested to get to the same process a propane bbq will get you. They come in many sizes and I always suggest to go a bit bigger then you think you need because once you start smoking meat it’s amazing how many “friends” want to get in on it.

This one will get as low as 449 at Lowe’s. It’s Small but a good quality grill if you don’t need something that gets over 500f and don’t want to invest 1k in a pellet bbq.
https://www.lowes.ca/pellet-grills/t...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Pit boss grills are also very common and go on sale for 200 to 300 off at Costco a few times a summer.

Just remember the large majority of wood pellet grills are autofeed which means they are electric based and need to be plugged in for the ignition, temp/fan control and the automatic hopper.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:05 AM   #798
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
how about mozza stuffed burgers topped with bacon, mushrooms and marble cheddar?? will that do?

IMG_1349 by bc-chris, on Flickr
The bottom bun is weeping for mercy.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #799
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

At this point I cant fathom going deeper in this thread without buying a smoker myself. I'm in dire need of a drool cup this am.

What would you guys recommend as a good starter smoker? Something I can smoke most meats with but isn't going to set me back $1000+ from the get go.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #800
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
At this point I cant fathom going deeper in this thread without buying a smoker myself. I'm in dire need of a drool cup this am.

What would you guys recommend as a good starter smoker? Something I can smoke most meats with but isn't going to set me back $1000+ from the get go.
Me too, I've decided I'm picking one up this weekend. Likely the Traeger Junior Elite. But would be good to see some recommendations.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber