Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2024, 10:06 AM   #1
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Thoughts on Rasmus Andersson's season and his future here

I think he has really struggled this season. To me he looks slower than he ever has in his career.

I saw someone mention he had fitness issues before coming into the nhl but looked to have fixed that before first season in the nhl. Is it possible that is creeping back? Or maybe getting hit by a car is still effecting him?

Whatever it is I think the Flames need to make a decision on where they see him in the future because if it's not commiting to him long term then I think you make a trade this summer. He doesn't seem to be aging well and his value will likely never be higher than it is now.

Thoughts?
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:11 AM   #2
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think he is aging poorly but whether he stays or goes really depends on what his next contract looks like. If it is an 8 year deal at a high AAV then I think the Flames should trade him and that’s probably what he is looking for and will get.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:21 AM   #3
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

My thoughts are that it's not the right time to contemplate his future... if we must though. My thoughts are that we wait a year and see how it goes... we're already short at least 1 legit T4 d-man so I'd be hesitant to drop another. Another year will give us a much better picture of what we have coming up the pipeline (I have high hopes for Poirier... but that's all they are at this point... hopes) and it also gives us another year to see where Rasmus is at (whether to trade or extend).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:22 AM   #4
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

All sorts of players have an off year here and there. I'll get worried if he looks the same next year.

It was the perfect time in the Flames' trajectory to have a bit of a slump.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 10:23 AM   #5
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it has been a very difficult season with a LOT of turmoil. No reason whatsoever to throw any players under the bus. Let's see what Andersson looks like next year, before we draw any conclusions.

Rash decisions are rarely good decisions. This is a situation where patience is the best strategy, IMO.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 10:26 AM   #6
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He's honestly looked off ever since being hit by that car. Also not a phrase I would expect to say very often about an NHL player.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 10:32 AM   #7
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team traded away 3 of their top 6 blue liners already this season. Why on earth would fans immediately put the bullseye on one of the two remaining defenseman on the roster that have top 4 pedigree? You have to keep some NHL caliber players as this organization isn't going to go the Sharks/Hawks route of icing and AHL roster in the NHL.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:36 AM   #8
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The team traded away 3 of their top 6 blue liners already this season. Why on earth would fans immediately put the bullseye on one of the two remaining defenseman on the roster that have top 4 pedigree? You have to keep some NHL caliber players as this organization isn't going to go the Sharks/Hawks route of icing and AHL roster in the NHL.
Why not? Especially in the name of asset management. Seems like the perfect time to sell. I also don't think he's looked as bad as some think and still love the player.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:37 AM   #9
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot of the veterans are coming to terms with the fact the team is in a down cycle. Remember Rasmus was around for the division winning teams. The Flames aren't that anymore. He's probably realizing this team could be out of the playoffs for a period of years. It must have an impact on your motivation and energy levels.

I think that's why its going to be hard for Conroy to thread the needle between rebuild and remain competetive at the same time. You almost need that crop of young guys coming up together with no expectations. The vets are going to get tired of it quickly.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 10:41 AM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
All sorts of players have an off year here and there. I'll get worried if he looks the same next year.

It was the perfect time in the Flames' trajectory to have a bit of a slump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think it has been a very difficult season with a LOT of turmoil. No reason whatsoever to throw any players under the bus. Let's see what Andersson looks like next year, before we draw any conclusions.

Rash decisions are rarely good decisions. This is a situation where patience is the best strategy, IMO.
I basically came to say the same thing. As much as we're seeing guys perform and seeing other guys slump, I dont know how many real, solid decisions can be made off this season.

There was a lot of moving pieces this year and frankly, this team has looked like a half-dozen different teams at different points during the season.

We've got him for 2 more years before we've got to worry about it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 11:04 AM   #11
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ras is a very good NHL D.

He’s homegrown.

Doesn’t have quite the offensive game we all hoped, but he’s not Warrener either.

If he wants to take the same deal as Weegar, they should keep him.

If he doesn’t want to stay, he’s extremely valuable as an asset.

Don’t think they should be in any hurry to get him off the roster, in any event.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 12:05 PM   #12
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good player on a good contract. Guilty of doing too much sometimes, but when people try to do that it usually comes from a good place.

If he will extend on a reasonable deal great. If not, he would fetch a ton as a depth rental from a contender. Maybe more than Lindholm did.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:40 PM   #13
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think extending him in 2 seasons would be a very bad idea, unless it’s an exceptionally team friendly deal, and why would it be?

So, I would trade him when the value is highest. That’s up to Conroy.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:42 PM   #14
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I basically came to say the same thing. As much as we're seeing guys perform and seeing other guys slump, I dont know how many real, solid decisions can be made off this season.

There was a lot of moving pieces this year and frankly, this team has looked like a half-dozen different teams at different points during the season.

We've got him for 2 more years before we've got to worry about it.
I agree. And IIRC, he was in the running for captain last summer, before Backlund committed to staying. Not the kind of player we should be trading away at this stage of the rebuild.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:50 PM   #15
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's an up and down player. But really the team has been lacking a true #1 since losing Giordano and he would ideally be a really good number two instead of miscast as a #1.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 02:11 PM   #16
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson will be here long term, I am very confident on that.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 03:01 PM   #17
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson would be better off as a 2nd pairing guy and less relied upon on special teams. If he can accept that role hed be a brilliant career Flame.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:04 PM   #18
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My own purely speculation is that Rasmus has been playing through some sort of injury or 2 and that he’ll be getting surgery once the season is over. He’ll be better next season again.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 03:16 PM   #19
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Backlund had opted to move on Rasmus Andersson would be the Captain right now. I think the organization thinks very highly of him. He's a player that needs to be extended.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:18 PM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Andersson would be better off as a 2nd pairing guy and less relied upon on special teams. If he can accept that role hed be a brilliant career Flame.
Oh completely agreed, but the fact of the matter remains...we have nobody left to shelter him like that.

Unfortunately...'Deep End meet Rasmus."

Its just important that we keep that in mind while evaluating his play.

If he makes mistakes as a result of being exposed, then thems the breaks sometimes, just have to swallow that and move along as opposed to holding it against him.

Rasmus is not a $7-$10M defenceman and hes not being paid as such....but he's played as such.

So we just have to be cognizant of that in any evaluation.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: