Larry Neilson Is outstanding.
http://www.konfidentkanines.com/
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #22
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't want to get too far off topic...fostering is a great thing. Go for it. I wouldn't consider it less of a commitment though. And as for training, everyone has different ideas. But all dogs are different too. Cesar has an amazing website that goes far beyond the tv shows. Google any question you have and you will find a pretty good answer there.

As for puppy biting, definitely don't replace your arm or the couch or anything he's biting with a toy. Toys are rewards for good behavior. I think the key to puppy biting is partly realizing they're puppies and that's what they do. But more importantly teaching your puppy a few skills. Puppies are more than capable of brain work. If you can master a couple of easy commands early on, like sit, lay down, come, you have some great ammunition for stopping the chomp. My two had those down by 12 weeks. Once they sit and stop biting for 20 seconds, or complete two different commands, then you give them the toy. Engaging their brain will automatically stop unwanted behavior. The other thing is learning when they like to bite...after eating, first thing in the morning, evening etc. Just like house training you can anticipate the onslaught and redirect them before it happens. Brain games are great...find the toy, follow the scent, etc. And even more important, tired dogs don't bite. Some breeds can handle an extraordinary amount of exercise. Depends on your breed though. And if possible, play with other puppies will help with socialization, proper biting, and exercise. More time with mom is also a huge benefit. Tired moms don't play that.

And parvo is back...again....

http://globalnews.ca/news/3413440/pu...-alberta-spca/

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 04-30-2017 at 10:03 AM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #23
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflames_12.5 View Post
I figure this might be the right place to get some advice. We recently adopted a puppy. Husky Shepard cross he about 3 months. He's great, but he's a puppy. He likes to bite at the kids feet, he loves the sock. He's still got his puppy chomps those things are needles. It's playfully but it hurts. What's the proper way to stop it. Do you put him in his crate everytime he gets excited? Do you yell at him and put him outside? I just want to understand the proper level of discipline for the dog at this age.
Actually, the best way to deal with this is to act like a crying puppy when he bites you. Make yelping sounds and that way they learn that it hurts and shouldn't do it. You can also just turn and walk away, leave the room and don't give him attention. He will learn that the biting behavior isn't appropriate and he won't get attention when he does it. This does work and we have had success with the foster dogs who were strays and didn't know better.

Like others said, never put your dog in it's crate for punishment. Another thing is if you have a dog bed, or a bath mat that you can use anywhere you go, that is his spot. When he is too excited, use a treat and get him to go to his mat (use mat as the cue word), like I said, if you use a towel or a bath mat you can take it anywhere you go. This is great for teaching them to calm down.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #24
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I don't want to get too far off topic...fostering is a great thing. Go for it. I wouldn't consider it less of a commitment though. And as for training, everyone has different ideas. But all dogs are different too. Cesar has an amazing website that goes far beyond the tv shows. Google any question you have and you will find a pretty good answer there.

As for puppy biting, definitely don't replace your arm or the couch or anything he's biting with a toy. Toys are rewards for good behavior. I think the key to puppy biting is partly realizing they're puppies and that's what they do. But more importantly teaching your puppy a few skills. Puppies are more than capable of brain work. If you can master a couple of easy commands early on, like sit, lay down, come, you have some great ammunition for stopping the chomp. My two had those down by 12 weeks. Once they sit and stop biting for 20 seconds, or complete two different commands, then you give them the toy. Engaging their brain will automatically stop unwanted behavior. The other thing is learning when they like to bite...after eating, first thing in the morning, evening etc. Just like house training you can anticipate the onslaught and redirect them before it happens. Brain games are great...find the toy, follow the scent, etc. And even more important, tired dogs don't bite. Some breeds can handle an extraordinary amount of exercise. Depends on your breed though. And if possible, play with other puppies will help with socialization, proper biting, and exercise. More time with mom is also a huge benefit. Tired moms don't play that.

And parvo is back...again....

http://globalnews.ca/news/3413440/pu...-alberta-spca/
Regarding the second paragraph, I agree. I know I had originally suggested a toy to replace, but that's right, if you give the pup a toy after he starts biting, he will think it's a reward. Toys / chews will be great replacements though when he gets to the chewing on furniture stage! Puppies are a lot of work - that's why I stick with adult dogs now.

As for fostering being a lesser commitment, it's not at the time, but it is a shorter one. So I think it's a good way to see if you are okay with the commitment a dog requires, without being stuck for the next 15 years if it turns out that it's not your thing.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #25
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
Actually, the best way to deal with this is to act like a crying puppy when he bites you. Make yelping sounds and that way they learn that it hurts and shouldn't do it
That's funny. I read that somewhere and tried it but it definitely didn't work with my monster. He seemed to enjoy the pain sounds. What did work though was a really sharp snap like a mad dog would do. The look on his face was hilarious... like wtf you're a dog now? Not sure that will last more than one or two more snaps before he figures out I'm full of hot air and have no significant teeth.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote