Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
FightinSioux
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Draft Challenge

2013 NHL Mock Draft - First Round Predictions

1st Overall - D, Seth Jones - 6'4", 206 - RH
With the first overall selection in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, Colorado takes the unanimous #1 pick and, depending on how you look at it, hometown kid in Jones. An incredible, some say generational, talent, Jones will be the cornerstone of the Avalanche for years to come.

2nd Overall - C, Nathan MacKinnon - 5'11", 179 - RH
The Panthers are happy to select MacKinnon with the 2nd overall pick. They plan to pair him with Huberdeau to create one of the most talented and dynamic duos in modern hockey.

3rd Overall - LW, Valeri Nichushkin - 6'4", 196 - LH
The Lightening are extremely pleased to select Valeri Nichushkin with their 1st selection in the 1st round. Russian factor aside, they feel they've found, in many aspects, the most skilled player in the draft.

4th Overall - C, Aleksander 'Sasha' Barkov - 6'2", 205 - LH
A prototypical Predator, Nashville is pleased to select Barkov with the 4th selection in the draft. This kid has the talent and hockey sense to eventually be the best player in this draft class, and the Preds hope they've created a fantastic pairing in Barkov and fellow top prospect Filip Forsberg.

5th Overall - D, Darnell Nurse - 6'3", 185 - LH
With a lack of real top talent in their prospect pool, with the exception of Murphy and Rask, the Canes look to defense with their 1st round selection, and select Darnell Nurse. A big, mean, back end man, the Hurricanes hope they've found another core piece to build around.

6th Overall - LW, Jonathan Drouin - 5'11", 176 - LH
Calgary is excited with the potential of a Drouin. He'll be the perfect transition as the Flames are in a youth movement.

7th Overall - D, Rasmus Ristolainen - 6'3", 207 - RH
While they have many solid defensive prospects in Klefbom, Marincin, and Musil, the Oilers still decide to select defensemen Rasmus Ristolainen with the 7th Overall Pick. Ristolainen is mean and has offensive skills to boot. He'll be a great compliment to Schultz and the like.

8th Overall - C, Sean Monahan - 6'2", 193 - LH
Even though they really like Elias Lindholm, the comparisons to Jonathan Toews draw Buffalo to center Sean Monahan. With the exception of his offensive ceiling, while still great, Monahan has elite level skills in all aspects of his game.

9th Overall - C, Elias Lindholm - 6'0", 188 - RH
In a similar draft day fall of Grigorenko to Buffalo in 2012, Elias Lindholm lands right in the lap of the Devils, and they are extremely pleased to select him. Widely considered one of the craftiest and most skilled players in the draft, Lindholm will ease the pain of the loss of Parise.

10th Overall - LW, Hunter Shinkaruk - 5'10", 161 - LH
While widely considered one of the best prospect pools in terms of depth, Dallas has lacked one thing for many years: an elite, blue chip prospect. And that's exactly what they get in Hunter Shinkaruk. Drawing comparisons to Phil Kessel and Jeff Skinner, the Stars are excited to have this gem drop to them.

11th Overall - D, Ryan Pulock - 6'0", 209 - RH
With a severe need for defensemen, the Flyers select Ryan Pulock with their 1st round selection. With an absolute laser of a shot and the potential to be a power play QB, the Flyers find the new cornerstone of their D-core.

12th Overall - C, Bo Horvat - 6'0", 194 - LH
A draft day riser, the Coyotes select Bo Horvat. The London Knight center plays a fantastic two way game and has excellent passing skills. He's a very strong skater and his commitment to both ends of the ice make him a great selection for Phoenix.

13th Overall - RW, Anthony Mantha - 6'3", 200 - LH
One of the things Winnipeg's farm system has been missing are elite level wingers, and that's what they just may have found in Anthony Mantha. After putting up superb numbers in the Q, the Jets feel they have found the perfect compliment to Evander Kane.

14th Overall - C, Max Domi - 5'9", 193 - LH
With the 14th overall selection, the Blue Jackets take the tenacious and tremendously skilled little guy. While he has the grit and toughness of his father Tie, Max has far superior offensive skills. Columbus looks past his small size, and hope they've found the gem of the the 2013 Draft.

15th Overall - C, Alexander Wennberg - 5'11", 157 - LH
The Islanders are excited to select Alexander Wennberg with their 1st round selection. With an excellent two way game, slick hands and puck skills, and an elite level hockey sense, the Islanders hope they've found another piece to the puzzle.

Others can guess....all for fun. The rest of the picks will come later.

Last edited by FightinSioux; 05-22-2013 at 06:41 PM.
FightinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the challenge reading the entire post?

dick post
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drouin will not fall to CGY. My prediction.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way Drouin falls to Calgary.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Drouin will not make it pass Nashville. Here's what i think happens in the first 7 picks:

1. COL - D Seth Jones
2. FLA - C Nathan Mackinnon
3. TBL - LW/RW Valeri Nichushkin
4. NAS - LW Jonathan Drouin
5. CAR - C Alexsander Bakrov
6. CGY - C Elias Lindholm
7. EDM - C Sean Monahan
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Dorkmaster
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can see Tampa picking Nichushkin over Drouin. Doubt it, but its possible. Seems like a stretch that Carolina would, especially with their preference for drafting forwards. Who knows, drafts always shake out a little bit crazy.
Dorkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will also say that Calgary will probably trade up with Carolina if Barkov ends up @5. The cost: Either the third round pick or the Pitt first rounder. Which IMO is fully worth the price of admission when it comes to Barkov.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Samiz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone think there is any chance that the Avs draft MacKinnon instead of Jones? I feel like they have assets to acquire immediate help on defense and have a solid team
Samiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was the Avs GM I'd draft Mackinnon and trade O'reilley to the Flames for their 6th overall +. Then draft Nurse with the Flames pick.

As a Flames fan I hope that doesn't happen, as I think O'reilley is overrated. Clearly Feaster thinks he's something special though.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
If I was the Avs GM I'd draft Mackinnon and trade O'reilley to the Flames for their 6th overall +. Then draft Nurse with the Flames pick.

As a Flames fan I hope that doesn't happen, as I think O'reilley is overrated. Clearly Feaster thinks he's something special though.
O'Reilly cannot be traded for one full calendar year from the time COL match Calgarys offer. And I doubt Calgary does that trade if they could, now.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
O'Reilly cannot be traded for one full calendar year from the time COL match Calgarys offer. And I doubt Calgary does that trade if they could, now.
Thanks, forgot about that. that makes me feel a lot better. Feasters crush on O'reilley had me worried.

Feaster was willing to give up more than just one first rounder on O'reilley as he views him as a franchise centre. One first isn't nearly as much as he was going to give up the first go-around.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote