Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
smithtofuhr86
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Looking to drop a few pounds.

This is probably the 100'th thread about this, sorry I tried to find others and the ones that I did, didn't quite answer the question I had. Plus that fad is ever changing.

I am looking to drop a few pounds maybe 10 to 15 range...the dilemma I have is that I work in Fort Mac, commute back and forth, work 12 to 14 hour days,my wife has a business I work on that with her on my days off 8 to 10 hours a day, we have 3 active kids, my parents are both elderly and need help....long story short I don't have time to hit the gym or exercise much. So I am looking to lose some weight (the easy way) by taking a shake, doing a cleanse etc. short term or long term. I am able to monitor my diet but just don't have the energy, will, time to exercise. What got me thinking about this is a fellow truck driver at work took some "drops" for a few months, and watched what he ate. It was expensive but he went from 225 to 180 over 3 to 4 months.

Any pointers would be helpful, thanks in advance.
smithtofuhr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't have kids, but I've heard from other families that it is key to do active family activities when you can. Go play soccer outside, play hockey in the winter, throw a ball around. Do you take your kids to sports? Why not do the same activity at the same time?

I go to climbing gyms routinely and I see parents drop their kids off for climbing classes. Some go climbing on their own while their kids are in class.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You don't need to exercise to lose weight... it helps but not required. Since you don't have time to go to the gym, just watch your calorie intake, eat smaller portions/foods that generally have lower calories such as whole foods. It will be hard at first as your body is adjusting to a lower calorie intake but just follow through for 2 weeks and it will just get easier. If your goal is short term, guarantee you will fall off your regimen and pack the pounds back on.

Whatever your fellow truck driver was doing that was 'expensive' that allowed him to lose weight is BS.. in fact if your goal is to lose weight it will be significantly cheaper if you were to less eat, buy bulk at the groceries and avoid going to restaurants/take outs.

Last edited by SHOGUN; 04-09-2012 at 10:23 PM.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Check out The 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. His philosophy is kinda "get the best results with the least possible amount of time" type thing. Slow-carb diet and some specific exercises. Worked extremely well for me. Though, I work mostly from home, so regulating my diet was a cinch.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

-Cut out all Soda and Pop unless its Diet or Pepsi Max/Coke Zero
-Cut out as many simple carbs/sugars as possible (ditch white bread for whole wheat)
-Be mindful of foods that are high on the glycemic index such as bananas and baked potatoes and have oranges and veggies instead
-Determine what your RMR/BMR is using this, then, eat less calories than that

If you do those 4 things I promise you it will work.
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Show your wife this....

Quote:
Sex Burns Calories

Thirty minutes of sex burns 85 calories or more. It may not sound like much, but it adds up: 42 half-hour sessions will burn 3,570 calories, more than enough to lose a pound. Doubling up, you could drop that pound in 21 hour-long sessions.
http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationshi...enefits-of-sex
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Related question:
What's a reasonable sized breakfast that actually would keep a guy full from 6- noonish? I find I'm always eating in the morning, and breakfast is probably way to big a serving for me.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at 215 mid Jan. Started trying to lose weight with another group of people. Started eating a crap load of veggies instead of pre-packaged food, did a rough count of calories to make sure the number stayed low and it worked immediately. I lost 15 lbs in about a month. Now I find that I need to exercise if I want to keep losing, although I find that 200 lbs for a 6' 3" frame might be healthy enough. I have started running, and it's helped me lose another couple of pounds.

People like to make it so complicated. What's worked for me is making sure I eat a balanced diet, and try to keep the calories low enough but not so low that it's unsustainable. Good enough for me.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 AM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtofuhr86 View Post
So I am looking to lose some weight (the easy way) by taking a shake, doing a cleanse etc. short term or long term.
That line made me cringe. There is no such thing as "the easy way" and all cleanses are snake oil and quackery. Don't be fooled by any of these things.

The only two factors which will help is exercise and diet. As far as diet goes, there are various ways to approach this. To be honest, the fastest way to drop pure pounds is to go a low-carb diet and stick to it with dedication but there are health risks to it.

Can you spare 30 minutes a day to do any kind of exercise? Even if it means maybe parking further and walking a bit further to work everyday, etc.?

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-10-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Related question:
What's a reasonable sized breakfast that actually would keep a guy full from 6- noonish? I find I'm always eating in the morning, and breakfast is probably way to big a serving for me.
The short version is avoid simple carbs, fried foods, etc. Go for complex carbohydrates, multigrain bread/pasta, brown rice, non-starchy fruit, eat meats like beef or fish, etc. The reason you go for complex carbs and whole grains (even something simple like Barley) is that they keep you full longer because they take longer to digest and slowly release energy over the day so you don't crash.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-10-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you don't have time to be active and exercise, you should make time.

My response isn't meant to be flippant, it's a choice you need to make if you really want to shed a few pounds.

"Gee, I'm going to modify my diet to lose weight." I don't know about you, but I don't know a single person--y'know, a real person--who has had success doing just this. It may be a key component in healthier living, but realistically, modifying your diet for a few months is doomed to fail by itself.

There is no quick fix, and that is part of the problem: everybody wants a quick fix, and we get all these miracle diets and cleanses and five-minute-a-day gadgets, and they are all bull####, taking advantage of people's desire to take the fast and easy route.

Good luck.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post
-Cut out all Soda and Pop ESPECIALLY Diet or Pepsi Max/Coke Zero
-Cut out as many simple carbs/sugars as possible (ditch wheat bread in general, as well as other processed wheats such as pastas)
-Be mindful of foods that are high on the glycemic index such as bananas and baked potatoes and have oranges and veggies instead
-Determine what your RMR/BMR is using this, then, eat less calories than that

If you do those 4 things I promise you it will work.
Aspritane can actually have neurological effects on your brain, it's a chemical that you can literally feel killing your neurons. No one in their right mind should ever be drinking it.
Processed wheats in general become sugar the second they enter your bloodstream. If you really want to lose weight, I would suggest entering a gluton free diet.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
Aspritane can actually have neurological effects on your brain, it's a chemical that you can literally feel killing your neurons. No one in their right mind should ever be drinking it.
Processed wheats in general become sugar the second they enter your bloodstream. If you really want to lose weight, I would suggest entering a gluton free diet.
Ya what do I know I've only lost 111 lbs in just over a year following those steps.
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

carbs are the enemy
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #15
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ditch the microwave. Honestly. Ours lit on fire about 2 months ago and we havent replaced it. In that time frame I've gone from 224lbs to 213lbs without changing what I eat. I eat pretty healthy as it is, but just too much. I also excercise quite a bit (squash, hockey, biking).

Its simply too easy (for me) to reheat some leftovers for seconds instead of having to wait for 10min to reheat them in the toaster oven. It all came down to inherent human laziness.

Whatever you do, dont do the fad diet or cut carbs/protein/fat etc. Eat a healthy, balanced, whole food diet and it'll melt off. Adding excercise makes it come off that much easier, but 80% of it is diet.

Good luck!!
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #16
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
?

No one should consume "aspartame" because it tastes like crap - not because it has any adverse health effect. There is ZERO link between aspartame and any negative effects.

Same with the gluten crap - saying "don't eat gluten" or "don't eat dairy" is a LAZY way to try to encourage a healthy diet. Carbs are a high source of calories, as is dairy fat. That's the ONLY reason people suggest this - unless you are 1) lactose intolerant, or 2) celiac, these restrictions do not matter.

Want to lose weight? It's pretty simple, but requires work and diligence. Track your calories. There are plenty of calorie calculators out there and most are backed up by what people like to call "science".

If you want to lose 2 pounds a week, you'll probably have a daily caloric intake of 1500. Go for an hour long walk? Add 150 to that total. It's that simple.

Eating well + exercise. Why are people so dense about this?
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post
Ya what do I know I've only lost 111 lbs in just over a year following those steps.
None of what he said has anything to do with that. If you are massively overweight and unhealthy simple things will result in large weight loss. If you're looking to drop the last 10 lbs you're going to need to make very different choices to do so.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #18
freedogger
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Low carb, smart carb, master cleanse will take what you want off in less than a month. These are all short term though and of little value. You really need to lower your calories after that to keep it off. Easiest way I have found is to skip breakfast. Actually only eat durring six hours of the day and eat sensibly durring these times.

For the fitness, it is amazing how little you need to train if you do it right. The key is interval training. Get a heart rate monitor and do something on minute on, one minute off ten reps. Do this only TWICE A WEEK. Durring your intense one minute on, get your heart rate up to 90% max. See a doctor before you begin this! But it works.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21448086

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ve-our-health/
freedogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #19
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtofuhr86 View Post
This is probably the 100'th thread about this, sorry I tried to find others and the ones that I did, didn't quite answer the question I had. Plus that fad is ever changing.

I am looking to drop a few pounds maybe 10 to 15 range...the dilemma I have is that I work in Fort Mac, commute back and forth, work 12 to 14 hour days,my wife has a business I work on that with her on my days off 8 to 10 hours a day, we have 3 active kids, my parents are both elderly and need help....long story short I don't have time to hit the gym or exercise much. So I am looking to lose some weight (the easy way) by taking a shake, doing a cleanse etc. short term or long term. I am able to monitor my diet but just don't have the energy, will, time to exercise. What got me thinking about this is a fellow truck driver at work took some "drops" for a few months, and watched what he ate. It was expensive but he went from 225 to 180 over 3 to 4 months.

Any pointers would be helpful, thanks in advance.
I'll address the bolded points 1 at a time.

1)If you have 3 active kids, looks to me like you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
If you're kids are active, then you've got great motivation to spend time with them, and get some exercise for yourself.

2) Sorry to say it, but with that attitude, you're doomed to failure. There is no easy way, if there was, there would be 1 super rich guy in the world, and a bunch of skinny people. If you're looking for an easy quick fix, you'll either fall off the wagon and bounch back up (in which case what's the piont), or you'll get frustrated when you don't see the results as quickly and easily as you think you should, and you'll quit. Losing weight isnt' easy (trust me, I just recently lost 35 lbs, and I didn't do it by taking some drops), you've got to have a long term goal, and be willing to work and wait for it if you really want to be successful.

3) If he didn't do more than just take some drops, then I'd be willing to bet it's not the healthiest option. If he actually did something to drastically alter his diet, then good for him.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 04-10-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedogger View Post
Low carb, smart carb, master cleanse will take what you want off in less than a month. These are all short term though and of little value. You really need to lower your calories after that to keep it off. Easiest way I have found is to skip breakfast. Actually only eat durring six hours of the day and eat sensibly durring these times.

For the fitness, it is amazing how little you need to train if you do it right. The key is interval training. Get a heart rate monitor and do something on minute on, one minute off ten reps. Do this only TWICE A WEEK. Durring your intense one minute on, get your heart rate up to 90% max. See a doctor before you begin this! But it works.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21448086

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ve-our-health/
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a reputable dietitian that supports this as a healthy alternative.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post: