Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #21
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I've heard both good and bad about Indochino. I'd be willing to give them a shot.

Three online suit places I wouldn't mind trying:
1. Indochino
2. ProperSuit (www.propersuit.com)
3. Astor & Black (www.astorandblack.com)

I've got a bit of experience with higher end suits, particularly Oxxfords I own, so I'm interested to see the quality of Indochino up close. Considering ProperSuit and A&B give the option of E. Zegna fabrics and full canvas, I'm not too concerned there.

How often do they run out of E. Zegna fabrics though?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Just got the notice that Indochino is coming to Calgary for the first time for a traveling tailor type thing.

http://www.indochino.com/traveling-tailor/display

http://www.facebook.com/events/370138786330353

Worth going down to check it out for sure, especially if they have fabrics on hand.
For those too lazy to click too,

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 8:00am until Saturday, March 10, 2012 at 8:00pm

115 - 9th Avenue SE, Suite 162, Calgary, AB
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #23
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
How often do they run out of E. Zegna fabrics though?
Good question, though I wouldn't be able to answer it. Is this usually a problem?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Good question, though I wouldn't be able to answer it. Is this usually a problem?
I know Jack Victor does on occasion. I know a few times I've encountered I've found a swatch a really like, call to order it, and they're out.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I went to the traveling store today and got measured up and bought a nice 3 pc suit for under $500. I could not afford the premium line but since I probably wont wear it all that much anyway i thought it was a great deal.

The guy who measured me was a hardcore, yet knowledgeable, canuck fan so we had a good laugh poking fun back and forth.

Free shirt this week if you head into the store as well!

Overall great experience!

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #26
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If only this was in April after I get my bonus from work. I would love to get a new suit. Make sure you update this thread and let us know how everything turns out. Which style did you go with?

I hope it was the Steve Nash line! You guys are around the same height

I should also not that I clicked on their facebook link once about them coming to town. Now every website I got to has the adds for Indochino rubbing it in that I can't get a suit right now

Last edited by fundmark19; 03-08-2012 at 12:03 PM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #27
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
If only this was in April after I get my bonus from work. I would love to get a new suit. Make sure you update this thread and let us know how everything turns out. Which style did you go with?

I hope it was the Steve Nash line! You guys are around the same height

I should also not that I clicked on their facebook link once about them coming to town. Now every website I got to has the adds for Indochino rubbing it in that I can't get a suit right now

HAHAHAHA - i think I am slightly taller!

I got me a essential classic charcoal suit. I will look damn good for my wedding in June!

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #28
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I own two Indochino suits.

Over Christmas Brooks Brothers was having a sale. I got a Fitzgerald navy suit for ~$600. I took it to my tailor and had the jacket taken at the wait, let out a little between the shoulder blades and the pants hemmed properly.

I will never go back to Indochino. The difference is quality between Brooks Brothers and Indochino is staggering. I have trouble wearing my very well fitting Indochino suits now even though I get compliments on them. The BB suit fits perfectly. With a little tailoring, you don't necessarily need a MTM suit.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post

Over Christmas Brooks Brothers was having a sale. I got a Fitzgerald navy suit for ~$600. I took it to my tailor and had the jacket taken at the wait, let out a little between the shoulder blades and the pants hemmed properly.

I will never go back to Indochino. The difference is quality between Brooks Brothers and Indochino is staggering. I have trouble wearing my very well fitting Indochino suits now even though I get compliments on them. The BB suit fits perfectly. With a little tailoring, you don't necessarily need a MTM suit.
A very tailored suit will always look better than it is comfortable to wear because our bodies are not usually always in such great shape underneath. Choosing a fabric that is less stiff with a little more stretch helps however.

I went direct to a Hong Kong tailor and got entire cashmere suits made for $200 last December that fit and feel great.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #30
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post

What does tailoring set you back? 100 ish? So that 600 suit is now 700 suit and pushes it to be more out of price range.

Would a MTM suit be better then going to moores and buying a 300 suit and getting it actually tailored instead of the work they do in store
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #31
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
What does tailoring set you back? 100 ish? So that 600 suit is now 700 suit and pushes it to be more out of price range.

Would a MTM suit be better then going to moores and buying a 300 suit and getting it actually tailored instead of the work they do in store
It depends on in proportion you are. And how particular you are about fit.

Not to go all peter12 but: how people just wear suits off the rack I have no idea. *cringes*
Old 03-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #32
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
HAHAHAHA - i think I am slightly taller!
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #33
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I paid $60 to have the jacket tailored and $15 to have the pants hemmed. So an additional $75 to the price of the suit. But this makes all the difference in the world. As long as you get an OTR suit jacket that fits in the shoulders and is the proper length, you should be golden.

And take what the sales reps say with a grain of salt. A lot of them have no clue. Even when I was at Brooks Brothers, the guy was trying to get me to go up a size when it was clear I would be swimming in it. Most people wear clothes that fit way too large.

Indochino can be better than off the rack. But only if the measurements are correct. I've seen some train wreck Indochino suits before. If you've got the measurements down, then it can be a decent suit. But paying $500 for one is insane to me. I bought my first one when they were sub $300. I wouldn't pay anymore. To me, it's a $300 suit, you get what you pay for. If I'm going to shell out $500 for an Indochino suit, I may as well step up a notch to a better OTR suit and have it tailored. That was my thinking anyway.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #34
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone was trying to up you a size in a suit? Did he get commission on alterations or something?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #35
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What I find amazing is that Indochino is similar in pricing to Tailored Man. Granted, I usually go for the higher end fabrics and pay a bit more, but the overall quality of Tailored Man is fantastic. I wouldn't hesitate to get one of their cheaper suits & shirts. Actually, I often get one or two of the cheaper shirts even for the ones that I get in a package deal (i.e. I am not saving any money by selecting them).
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #36
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just got my indochino stuff in today from the Traveling Tailor. Looks great although won't be able to tell proper fit until I get it pressed (notwithstanding they use awesome boxes for shipping, still a bit wrinkly). One thing that I am super impressed by is that they have set up a concierge in town for the entire month of April so people who bought at the TT event can go in for free alterations and if unhappy, refunds. Smart move on their part since I'd imagine a lot of people will want minor tweaks.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #37
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Just got my indochino stuff in today from the Traveling Tailor. Looks great although won't be able to tell proper fit until I get it pressed (notwithstanding they use awesome boxes for shipping, still a bit wrinkly). One thing that I am super impressed by is that they have set up a concierge in town for the entire month of April so people who bought at the TT event can go in for free alterations and if unhappy, refunds. Smart move on their part since I'd imagine a lot of people will want minor tweaks.
How does the overall quality feel? I'm still waiting for mine to show up, which I'm expecting will be any day now. I've been wanting a tailored suit for a long time, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Indochino suit looks and feels.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #38
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah me too, can't wait for mine to show up! I've been wondering about the "custom" difference for a while too.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #39
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Indochino Suits" is a great band name
should be snapped up quickly....what were we talking about
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #40
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
How does the overall quality feel? I'm still waiting for mine to show up, which I'm expecting will be any day now. I've been wanting a tailored suit for a long time, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Indochino suit looks and feels.
I'll comment more after they have been properly pressed. The fabrics feel good (I have one vincero which is the reda italian fabric and two of the essentials which are your more standard china knock off fabric). For day to day office I actually kind of prefer the thicker fabrics as they wear better, but the reda certainly has a nice shimmer to it.

I did try one on earlier and the fit was pretty close to perfect. Again, don't make any snap judements of your stuff until you get it pressed (tell the dry cleaners specifically not to dry clean but just press) as you won't get a proper drape of the fabric until then. For the price though, hopefully you'll be happy. I wouldn't put these up to any of the really nice MTM suits you could get at o'connors or holt or anything where you can do 4-5 fittings, but those also cost over a grand unless you get in on a MTM sale, so value wise these are pretty decent.