Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames Hartley: Ortio #3 on depth chart

Randy Sportak @SUNRandySportak
Hartley also says Ortio is No. 3 on the depth chart. #Flames

Ramo named starter for season opener, and Hiller will back him up.

This should be a conversation starter.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Just propping up Ramo and Hiller to increase trade value? People are more likely to trade for the top 2 goalies and not the 3rd stringer.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting.

Remember though, he could be #3 on the depth chart, but still be in the plans as 1 of the 2 that will go forward. The separation between the 3 is so small, it makes sense that the ones with more experience and history would be above the young unproven guy. One of Ramo or Hiller will still be moved.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ortio was the best in pre-season probably, but you have two guys who were good goalies for a playoff team last year, and you are likely looking to move 1 of the 2 so makes sense they are your top 2 in order to start the season.

Ortio ending up as #3 is not too surprising, I think the really issue is we overplayed our hand in the off-season and thought that we had a market to move Hiller (IMO).
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 Finns getting screwed out of the gate this year. Coaches and GM's have their hands tied, I get it. But this is all sorts of dumb. At least they're not exposing him to waivers.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

im gonna bet it's just positioning.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #7
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Play Hiller on Saturday against the nucks to make him look good then trade him.

I still think Ortio is our starter by Christmas time.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he really is #3 on the depth chart they would have put him on waivers. This is just posturing until a trade can be made.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It appears they feel Ortio won't clear waivers so they are going to see which one of Ramo or Hiller plays themselves off the team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #10
Camronius
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Increased competition. You know that as soon as one guy has a bad game the other guy draws in. That's what happened all last year. I wonder with three guys, if you have a bad game if you will get dropped behind both backups, could be interesting up until we find a trading partner...
Camronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe some goalie injuries around the league first week can help us out.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait for the overly simplistic "earned, not given" comments that have been so prevalent in this training camp.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #13
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
Just propping up Ramo and Hiller to increase trade value? People are more likely to trade for the top 2 goalies and not the 3rd stringer.
We can only hope they're that foolish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miikka_Kiprusoff
Old 10-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Well, I think the way the goalies are ranked between Hartley and Treliving are two different stories and both likely have it right.

The coach having two established, serviceable vets ahead of the younger, less proven, hopefully future starter makes complete sense. While Brad likely still has his plan of trading one of the two vets for the ideal young future starter/vet back up goal in mind.

If Brad changed his tune and said his trading preference and goal is to ship out Ortio because his coach has him as number three on the depth chart then that would be cause for concern, but I suspect Brad will do the right thing like he always did.

I'm assuming this thread will draw lots of ire from fans just looking at Hartley's comments and assume that the whole organization has soured on Ortio and they're not doing things right, etc. But really it just boils down to all three goalies having a solid pre-season and going with the vets until one falters, which as we all know from last season WILL happen and Ortio will get his shot to run with it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #15
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
2 Finns getting screwed out of the gate this year. Coaches and GM's have their hands tied, I get it. But this is all sorts of dumb. At least they're not exposing him to waivers.
False statements are false. The goalie debate is very very interesting, but no one can suggest that Ortio is for sure the better option today vs. Hiller or Ramo. It's debatable, that's it, so it's impossible to say anyone is getting screwed.

Granlund was good in training camp, but I don't think I'd replace a single body scheduled to start on Wednesday with him........maybe Jooris, but again it's debatable.

So not sure how anyone is getting "screwed" at this point. This is a great problem to have for the Org. on the Granlund front, not dumb at all. People are putting way too much stock in the opening night roster, there's a whole season for this play out. It really is the difference between "earning" a spot and "creating or taking" spot. Granlund may have "earned" a spot (again debatable), but he certainly didn't create a spot for himself. If the Flames thought they would be a worse team with him out of the line up then some of their other options, they'd find a way to put him in. Right now, he's just proved he's as good an option as some of the other guys we have at our disposal, and when you do that, you subject yourself to contract status having an impact. That's on Granlund not the Flames, although I don't think he should be at all disappointed with his camp, great step forward IMO.

I'm sure they'd rather not be dealing with the 3 headed monster in goal issue for sure, that will be harder to solve, and I'm sure some pieces didn't fall into place as they'd hoped, but in the grand scheme of things, could be worse and as you say, at least they aren't exposing him to waivers at this point.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #16
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not Treliving or Hartley or anyone else like having the 3 goalies. They made their bed though. And Ortio, who was the strongest out of the 3, even if it was not by much, gets shuffled down. Just don't like it. Again, I get that hands are tied a bit here.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #17
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Not Treliving or Hartley or anyone else like having the 3 goalies. They made their bed though. And Ortio, who was the strongest out of the 3, even if it was not by much, gets shuffled down. Just don't like it. Again, I get that hands are tied a bit here.
Again, debatable, and training camp shouldn't be and I doubt is the only data point they are using in their decision. Lots of things other than how did they play in this years camp should be going into the thought process for all 3 guys.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #18
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
False statements are false. The goalie debate is very very interesting, but no one can suggest that Ortio is for sure the better option today vs. Hiller or Ramo. It's debatable, that's it, so it's impossible to say anyone is getting screwed.

Granlund was good in training camp, but I don't think I'd replace a single body scheduled to start on Wednesday with him........maybe Jooris, but again it's debatable.

So not sure how anyone is getting "screwed" at this point. This is a great problem to have for the Org. on the Granlund front, not dumb at all. People are putting way too much stock in the opening night roster, there's a whole season for this play out. It really is the difference between "earning" a spot and "creating or taking" spot. Granlund may have "earned" a spot (again debatable), but he certainly didn't create a spot for himself. If the Flames thought they would be a worse team with him out of the line up then some of their other options, they'd find a way to put him in. Right now, he's just proved he's as good an option as some of the other guys we have at our disposal, and when you do that, you subject yourself to contract status having an impact. That's on Granlund not the Flames, although I don't think he should be at all disappointed with his camp, great step forward IMO.

I'm sure they'd rather not be dealing with the 3 headed monster in goal issue for sure, that will be harder to solve, and I'm sure some pieces didn't fall into place as they'd hoped, but in the grand scheme of things, could be worse and as you say, at least they aren't exposing him to waivers at this point.
It's not a false statement, it's an opinion. And one that has some validity. they're both victims of circumstance is all. Simply too much depth has been acquired/re-signed and both have earned their way onto the main roster.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #19
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Possibility of the two vets still battling it out but Ortio has made it?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #20
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bringing back Ramo at such a massive cap hit was a huge mistake.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: