Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 10-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #21
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice job Torres, try to take a guys head off in a preseason game. I am on board with the 82 gamer.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #22
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
New Era do you know who Raffi Torres is? Yet you're taking his side and blaming the victim for this charge to the head?
Yup, know who he is and his reputation. Not taking his side either. Think the league has gone way too far the other way and has made it so guys don't need to think about protecting themselves. I've seen way worse from other players and with greater intent. Sorry, I like good hard hitting hockey. I like guys that can change a game with a big hit. I like the guys that play on the edge and keep the skill players honest. I hate the fact that we'll never see another Scott Stevens in the league. If this hit is suspension worthy then I worry about how many times Micheal Ferland is going to be suspended this season, especially with the number of divers that work in our division. Torres clearly glides into the player before delivering "the hit." This hit was barely a glancing blow but people are crying like he decapitated Silfverberg, who was admiring his pass and not aware of the players around him. I'm not a fan of Torres, but not a hater either. I think this one is being blown way out of proportion. If this was Micheal Ferland in this predicament you all would have a very different perspective on the legality of the hit and the potential suspension.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #23
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sticking elbow out to clip his head on a fly by is the type of hitting you want in the league?

No Ty. Agree to disagree.

Ps. If ferland did this I'd have an issue with it to. But ferland doesn't target heads with elbows. It's a few quick steps, glide, shoulder in, and mostly stay on your feet. (He's gotta watch the jumping)

Last edited by Benched; 10-04-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Benched For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #24
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't have a problem with a Ferland suspension if he skated more than halfway across the ice and elbowed a guy in the head when he doesn't have the puck.

I do have a problem with people who don't have a return key on their keyboard.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #25
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Nice job Torres, try to take a guys head off in a preseason game. I am on board with the 82 gamer.
Too bad the NHLPA won't be. They'll die on that hill before they let the NHL do anything even close that. It's far more important to them that he be allowed to run around, injuring other union members.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #26
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Too bad the NHLPA won't be. They'll die on that hill before they let the NHL do anything even close that. It's far more important to them that he be allowed to run around, injuring other union members.
Which boggles my mind. Why is the PA more concerned about protecting guys up for suspensions instead of protecting the larger group of players at risk by having this goofs running around.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #27
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Which boggles my mind. Why is the PA more concerned about protecting guys up for suspensions instead of protecting the larger group of players at risk by having this goofs running around.
I wouldn't be surprised if the union leadership blames the league solely for the concussion/player safety issues over the years. They have an important part to play too, but no one can force them into it. Until both the NHL and NHLPA come together to fix this, it's never going to get fixed. I wonder what it's going to take? Sadly, probably someone dying or becoming a paraplegic.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #28
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only reason fighting should be in hockey to allow people to beat the #### out of dirty players like Torres. Get him out of the game NHL! He's injuring your young and star players.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #29
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Terrible hit, and nothing new for Torres.

It's annoying that players like him are still "relevant" in the game today.

You know you're dirty when Don Cherry calls you out ...
Old 10-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #30
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Yup, know who he is and his reputation. Not taking his side either. Think the league has gone way too far the other way and has made it so guys don't need to think about protecting themselves. I've seen way worse from other players and with greater intent. Sorry, I like good hard hitting hockey. I like guys that can change a game with a big hit. I like the guys that play on the edge and keep the skill players honest. I hate the fact that we'll never see another Scott Stevens in the league. If this hit is suspension worthy then I worry about how many times Micheal Ferland is going to be suspended this season, especially with the number of divers that work in our division. Torres clearly glides into the player before delivering "the hit." This hit was barely a glancing blow but people are crying like he decapitated Silfverberg, who was admiring his pass and not aware of the players around him. I'm not a fan of Torres, but not a hater either. I think this one is being blown way out of proportion. If this was Micheal Ferland in this predicament you all would have a very different perspective on the legality of the hit and the potential suspension.
There is a difference between hard hitting hockey and goon hockey. Give your head a shake. Torres skates between two of his teammates who were covering him and is the 3rd man charging him.

Oh and put me in the boat that has players like Eric Lindros still in the league instead of Scott Stevens. How many ex NHLers are suffering every week of their life because of dirty Scott Stevens hits? I'm for tough, fair hockey. Not dirty goon play from players like Torres. Disgusting post.

It's this mentality that paints fighting in a negative light. No respect for the players who sacrifice their bodies to play hockey, not get elbowed in the face by plugs.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #31
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fairly typical union mentality.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #32
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The almighty dollar sadly. If a player is injured the players still get paid, however suspended players are done so without pay. The incentive structure really needs to be updated imo
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of the blame has to go to the teams that employ dirty players like Cooke and Torres. IMO if one of the Sharks top players get injured by a cheap shot the team has it coming by employing one of the worst offenders in the league. There's simply no excuse to have these dirt bags on your roster. I know I would be furious if the Flames brought either of those two guys in. I hope the league comes down hard on him as it was blatant attempt to injure.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #34
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hate the fact that we'll never see another Scott Stevens in the league.
We'll still see players who can body check, rub guys out along the boards, and play physical hockey. But we don't need head-hunting. And Stevens would have been just as good a player without the elbows to the head - the guy could play hockey.

This 'keep your head up' stuff is dumb. No matter how skilled these guys are, they will sometimes need to look down at their feet, and they will sometimes not be aware of another player closing in from a blind spot.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-04-2015 at 03:26 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #35
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be fine with an 82 game suspension. Get this piece of garbage out of the NHL.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #36
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
This 'keep your head up' stuff is dumb. No matter how skilled these guys are, they will sometimes need to look down at their feet, and they will sometimes not be aware of another player closing in from a blind spot.
Yep this knuckle dragging mentality has no room in any sport as we are seeing retired players battling with post concussion syndrome as well as depression. The NFL now has the defenceless hit on a receiver major penalty because it's been proven that any human being not prepared for a major blow can suffer a brain injury. There should never be a case where an unaware player is put in a position that he can take a major head shot.

I want to be entertained by these guys but I don't want them to put their lives on the line for my entertainment purposes.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-04-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #37
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Honestly, what is wrong with you?

Watch it again, in case you some how (inexplicably) missed it:

http://gfycat.com/RipeGoodGopher

You say you're familiar with Torres and his history, you see that blatant, negligent hit clearly targeting the head, and still manage to ramble out the rest of the absolute trife in that post?

Unreal.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #38
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This hit was barely a glancing blow but people are crying like he decapitated Silfverberg, who was admiring his pass and not aware of the players around him.
The hit was "barely a glancing blow" because all he contacted was the head. That's the problem!!!

Had Torres "kept him honest" and totally leveled Silfverberg with a full body, shoulder-to-shoulder hit, a la Ferland, it would have been applauded. But it wasn't. It was shoulder directly to, and only to, the head.

Do you not see a difference?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #39
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm gonna pile on because this is one of the worst posts on this board in a while. In addition to what everyone else has said, the last statement really has me shaking my head. How does the phenomenon that people treat their home town guys more favorably have anything to do with whether this hit was legal? Fans are fans. Vancouver fans were defending Bertuzzi on Moore. That doesn't reflect on the act whatsoever.

This was a dirty hit by a guy who deserves not one millimeter of slack on his rope.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #40
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate Raffi Torres. Get him out of the NHL already.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"did i do that?"