Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Calgary preparing for 2026 Winter Olympics bid. May open door to CalgaryNEXT funding

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/...6-winter-games

Quote:
The Canadian Olympic Committee has no offices west of Toronto.

But behind the scenes in Calgary, Postmedia has learned business and community leaders have been quietly meeting for more than 18 months about preparing a bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics.

If Los Angeles can bid, and possibly win, a second Olympics, the decision-makers in Calgary figure they can do the same and limit costs by using at least some of the facilities still in place from 1988.

The Olympic Oval, on the University of Calgary campus, would need a major upgrade. Same goes for the bobsleigh track, which is like a kiddie waterslide in the West Edmonton Mall waterpark compared to tracks like the Whistler Sliding Centre.

But Calgary has no problem finding a mountain suitable for the Olympic downhill with the Rockies on the doorstep (the lack of an alpine venue is a major sticking point for Quebec City, as the men’s downhill is akin to the men’s 100-metres in track and field for Olympic purists.)

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi is no fan of using public dollars to build a new arena for the National Hockey League Calgary Flames or stadium for the Canadian Football League Calgary Stampeders. The Calgary Sport & Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Flames and Stampeders, officially unveiled plans last month for a $900-million arena, fieldhouse and stadium on the outskirts of downtown.

If the new mega-facility is tied to the Olympics – and creating a lasting legacy for the community – sources say Nenshi might be open to such a proposal.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #2
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

If people didn't like public spending for CalgaryNext, I have a tough time believing they'll be on board for an Olympic bid. Very rarely profitable and large infrastructure pieces that can be tough to be reused.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
If people didn't like public spending for CalgaryNext, I have a tough time believing they'll be on board for an Olympic bid. Very rarely profitable and large infrastructure pieces that can be tough to be reused.
If i am not mistaken, the 1988 Olympics were the first winter Olympics to turn a profit
Old 09-15-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

He's right though. It will be very tough to reuse the buildings from 1988 which are being reused for these new Olympics after having been reused by the public for the last 27 years.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am 100% in support of a Winter Olympics bid, even if it doesn't turn a profit. Bring on the celebration.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
If i am not mistaken, the 1988 Olympics were the first winter Olympics to turn a profit
I think Vancouver had a profit too
Old 09-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you build it they will come.
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
May as well link to this early on, since I'm sure a lot of discussions will be centered around this.

According to this, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_the_Olympic_Games , Sarajevo in 1984 was profitable for approximately $10 million. Calgary was profitable for $32 million.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #9
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Depends on how you consider the accounting.

CODA turned a profit, but CODA didn't build many of the facilities, so didn't account for that as an expense. What was nearly unique about Calgary is that all the facilities have been used long term. If that is something we can replicate again, then it could still be money well spent.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #10
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammer403 View Post
I think Vancouver had a profit too
They did not. Spent ~$1.9 billion and broke even.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...says-1.2695994

Quote:
VANOC said the Games broke even, with total revenues and expenses just shy of $1.9 billion. The group that organized the 2010 Winter Olympics and Paralympics has no more assets or outstanding debts and has asked government to dissolve the company.
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 07:34 AM   #11
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You are mistaken.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And probably the last one to turn a profit.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:51 AM   #13
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still remember being a 7 year old kid in Austria watching the Calgary Olympics, not realizing that only a few months later, we'd be living there. Ever since then, I've really wished I could experience one in person, and have been hoping we can bring it back.

We're one of the few places on earth that can meet the requirements, and unlike the Summer Olympics, the Winters Olympics costs are at least somewhat within reach of normalcy. I think Calgary hosting again is only a matter of time.

Also, an Olympic bid would go a long way of making the West Village transformation a realistic endeavour.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 08:00 AM   #14
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if we almost broke even having the Olympics would be amazing
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #15
Quincy Egg
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, lets not spend exorbitant amounts of money on a 2 week sporting event.
Quincy Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quincy Egg For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #16
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #17
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does making the facility tied to the Olympics somehow make it a more lasting legacy than if it's not tied to the Olympics? Because the whole world gets to see the new facilty for two weeks?

Anyway we all know this is usually a spectacular waste of money, very little gained long term, and it makes one of the two most corrupt organizations on earth rich. Recently when western countries have been given the chance to vote on hosting the Olympics, they have overwhelmingly rejected it. I suspect it'd be the same here.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #18
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm 100% for supporting an Olympic Bid. 27 years after the 1988 Olympics I am still using some of the facilities that were built for it.

Examples:
- Olympic Oval and Oval Hockey rink
- Nakiska
- Saddledome (yes I know this wasn't built specifically for the olympics)
- COP and the Winsport complex that has been built around it in the years following

These examples are not one time visit either, they are each something I use on a regular basis year after year. If we maintain the idea that any infrastructure or facilities built for the Olympics are not just for the Olympics and are part of Calgary and areas long term use I am all for the Olympics.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #19
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
How does making the facility tied to the Olympics somehow make it a more lasting legacy than if it's not tied to the Olympics? Because the whole world gets to see the new facilty for two weeks?

Anyway we all know this is usually a spectacular waste of money, very little gained long term, and it makes one of the two most corrupt organizations on earth rich. Recently when western countries have been given the chance to vote on hosting the Olympics, they have overwhelmingly rejected it. I suspect it'd be the same here.
Because it would otherwise not get built.
You can question the value of amateur sports in a national perspective, but having facilities at 'home' has allowed Canada to be competitive, where we were never previously.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #20
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

It can be done responsibly. Using Russia, China, and Quebec as comparisons are not fair.

The Olympics really cemented Vancouver as one of the best cities in the world. A successful Olympics that led to some federal funds for infrastructure could really help Calgary's reputation. I believe our horrible transportation system is the biggest mark against our city.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote