Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #21
TapeToTape
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Pretty glad it looks like he will be out East. You can be sure he will be playing with a fire in his belly whenever he plays the Flames.

Money As Debt
Money Masters
Positive Money TedX talk
Old 09-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #22
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I bet he makes the Leafs and resurrects his career. They'll probably flip him for a decent pick at the deadline too.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #23
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am sure he will get a spot on the Leafs, he will fit in some where. I agree with you mikephoen, if he doesn't stay in TO then they will get at least something for him at the deadline. No way they get what BT got last year. I still can't believe he is without a contract. Likely asking too much from everyone all summer? At this point I would imagine he is begging for a contract.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #24
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
He didn't seem happy to play that role here, why would he elsewhere?
Humility gained from the experience of the last 5 months?
Old 09-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #25
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ships out lazy Kessel, brings in lazy Glencross
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doctajones428 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #26
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I'm stunned he didn't get a contract yet and I was dead wrong about that for sure.

Props to sureloss (IIRC) who called this a long time ago.....he was reading the market correctly.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #27
Yorkshire Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Exhibit A: What happens when you're the best player on a crappy team, and you let it go to your head.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorkshire Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #28
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

He was never the best player but I get your point. Between Iginla leaving and the most recent season there was a gap where Glencross started to think he was a top 6 player. He never was and never will be, not his fault everyone expected way too much.
The Following User Says Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #29
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

He will knock it out of the park as a Leaf.

Honest in interviews.
Fast
Gritty

By January the Toronto media will be hailing him as the second coming of Wendell Clark. He'll be re-signed to a 3 year extension by the trade deadline or dealt for a 2nd round pick.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #30
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't you hate it when extreme fan bases like the Montreal turn on their players?

Baertschi: The face of the franchise > terrible prospect > hope you fail miserably in Vancouver

Glencross: Best bargain in the NHL > get this slacker off my team > enjoy the reality check (snicker)

Wait, that's our fan base? That's too bad.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #31
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, you have an SM-N920W8? That's fascinating!

- No one
Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #32
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope he does well and earns a spot. Contrary to popular belief, 32 isn't that old. He can still carve out a long career if he adapts and is willing to play the role in front of him. Babcock loves his vets and is more then willing to play them as long as they fit his system. I always thought Glencross would have been a good fit with Detroit and if the Leafs play that style, I don't see why he can't succeed.

A re-invigorated Glencross is a good player. Hard nosed, a wicked shot and gritty as hell. I think his days as a top 6 guy are done, especially on a rebuilding team like the Leafs. But I think he's still a solid bottom 6 guy who can slot into the top 6 or special teams when needed

I wish him nothing but luck. He gets a rough go on CP, and wrongfully so.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #33
Iveman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Oh man. I hate when players I like end up on teams I despise. I would think he would have no problem cracking the leafs lineup.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #34
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
He'll be in tough to get any ice-time there. James van Riemsdyk, Leo Komarov, Daniel Winnik, & Shawn Matthias are the LW currently in place in TO and I don't think I take Glencross over any of them.
JVR is just as good on the RW too. Which is where I think Babs puts him anyways. IRC he was quite successful on the RW in PHI when he was on the upswing. Not a bad replacement for Kessel on the top line. The rest of the LW's are in the same ballpark as Glencross IMO give take subtle skill differences here and there, but nothing that puts them over the other.

Glencross could conceivable end up in the #2 LW spot if he goes into camp on a mission. Komarov and Winnik are tweener #3 LW's. And Mathias is a suitable top 2 LW. Who knows. But I do think Glencross has a real good shot at a contract in T.O. I'd say 75% chance he gets roster spot.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #35
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Don't you hate it when extreme fan bases like the Montreal turn on their players?

Baertschi: The face of the franchise > terrible prospect > hope you fail miserably in Vancouver

Glencross: Best bargain in the NHL > get this slacker off my team > enjoy the reality check (snicker)

The reality is always somewhere in between. Fans had good reason to turn on Baertschi IMO and that issue literally has nothing to do with Glencross. As for Glencross, he was great when he wanted to be but impacted the game on a regular basis far less than he thought he did.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #36
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Wait, that's our fan base? That's too bad
Untrue, you're focusing on the vocal minority. Most of us don't really care about Glencross or Baertschi. Especially Baertschi, good luck or whatever, he's not on our team anymore. Glad we got picks for both of em, good work Treliving. Think about how quickly people were able to get over Iginla, you think we care about Sven??? Nope
Old 09-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #37
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never been a Glencross fan while on the Flames, but still wish him the best of luck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #38
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think he has what it takes to be an NHLer anymore...if that opinion makes me a bad fan than so be it

great trade by the Flames, exactly why a GM can't let emotions get involved
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #39
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Am I allowed to not like Baertschi and be indifferent to Glencross? Or does that make me only halfway extreme?

I gotta ask, did anyone seriously believe Sven was destined to be 'the face of the franchise?' My attitude with him was more like:

Looks like a solid pick > Wow, great draft+1 and 5 game call up > nifty little point streak to end a so-so pro debut > meh > wow he's immature and full of himself, glad he's gone.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #40
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought he signed a PTO with the Av's? Guess not. This is probably a better opportunity for him.
Closed Thread