Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #181
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my manual count is 5 claimed players out of 152 waived players.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #182
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
That is pretty poor asset management by Vancouver.
Started with gillis and av putting the kid into a playoff game which burned a year off his waiver eligibility. Short sighted on their part.

Benning tried to move him but no takers. And the kid needs to play. He didn't win a job out of camp and was beaten out by Hutton.

Corrado was over hyped by media as he was one of the few picks gillis made that actually showed some promise in an otherwise disastrous drafting record. So while Canucks fans are whining about losing a prospect, believe the local media made Corrado out to be more than he is.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #183
Knut

Exp:

Kind of similar to Wotherspoon. Just hasn't taken that next step. Next year I think Wotherspoon is in the same position.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #184
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Kind of similar to Wotherspoon. Just hasn't taken that next step. Next year I think Wotherspoon is in the same position.
He still has a year to change that but it's not looking good with other players passing him on the depth chart. Some of these guys hit their ceilings early and simply can't elevate themselves to the NHL game.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #185
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He still has a year to change that but it's not looking good with other players passing him on the depth chart. Some of these guys hit their ceilings early and simply can't elevate themselves to the NHL game.
I don't see Wotherspoon ever being the smooth skating offensive defenceman. His best bet is too try and stand out with being physical with big hits and the odd fight. He's very capable being a steady guy but that isn't going to cut it anymore.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #186
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO Wotherspoons days with the Flames org are numbered.

He's a decent prospect, and could still end up as an NHLer, I just doubt it will ever happen with Calgary.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #187
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

He's a decent prospect, and could still end up as an NHLer, I just doubt it will ever happen with Calgary.
Yup. I would have said Granlund too but he had a good training camp. Hope he can translate it otherwise he is trade fodder as well.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:22 AM   #188
Conroy4Mayor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Hickey has a similar style to Wotherspoon, but more talent. Wotherspoon is going to get passed, by Hickey and maybe Anderson too. Too bad because I like Wotherspoon (more than Engelland and Smid for sure).
Conroy4Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:03 AM   #189
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy4Mayor View Post
Hickey has a similar style to Wotherspoon, but more talent. Wotherspoon is going to get passed, by Hickey and maybe Anderson too. Too bad because I like Wotherspoon (more than Engelland and Smid for sure).
I don't see Hickey and Wotherspoon having anything similar in terms of style at all. I like both prospects, but I see them as very different players with Hickey being a much more aggressive player in all zones, and being a much higher skill-set offensively. He is also much more physical than Wotherspoon.

Hickey is what I hope Wotherspoon starts playing more like. Wotherspoon to me is much more like a Leopold type. Kind of 'vanilla' with a decent IQ, but a guy who could be a very good complimentary player on a pairing. Hickey is a guy that would be 'the guy' on the pairing making an impact on the game and being much more noticeable.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #190
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bruins have placed Matt Irwin on waivers. He was signed in the offseason for one year at a very reasonable $800,000.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #191
Conroy4Mayor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't see Hickey and Wotherspoon having anything similar in terms of style at all. I like both prospects, but I see them as very different players with Hickey being a much more aggressive player in all zones, and being a much higher skill-set offensively. He is also much more physical than Wotherspoon.

Hickey is what I hope Wotherspoon starts playing more like. Wotherspoon to me is much more like a Leopold type. Kind of 'vanilla' with a decent IQ, but a guy who could be a very good complimentary player on a pairing. Hickey is a guy that would be 'the guy' on the pairing making an impact on the game and being much more noticeable.
I saw Wotherspoon play aggressively at times in junior. I think what happened is that when it looked like he might have a spot to lose in the NHL, he played conservatively to avoid making mistakes. Kulak, by comparison, had nothing to lose, so was able to play more aggressively.

Hopefully Wotherspoon changes his perspective this year, and tries to get himself noticed by playing a little looser and carefree. He does have talent, it just never has a chance to show because Wotherspoon is mostly sitting back.
Conroy4Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote