Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #61
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
It's a thing. Pretty sure that was added in the new CBA

EDIT: See : Zach Boychuk
So this is what I saw:

Code:
2013-01-31	Hurricanes	• Zach Boychuk	lost off waivers (to Penguins)
2013-01-31	Penguins	• Zach Boychuk	claimed off waivers (from Hurricanes)
2013-03-04	Penguins	• Zach Boychuk	waived
2013-03-05	Predators	• Zach Boychuk	claimed off waivers (from Penguins)
2013-03-20	Predators	• Zach Boychuk	waived
2013-03-21	Hurricanes	• Zach Boychuk	claimed off waivers (from Predators)
2013-03-22	Hurricanes	• Zach Boychuk	waived
2013-03-23	Hurricanes	• Zach Boychuk	assigned to AHL
From the Hurricanes to the Penguins to the Predators and back to the Hurricanes within two months.

Nothing in the CBA says that the Hurricanes got first dibs on him when the Predators claimed him. The CBA does say that the original team, if they're the only team with a waiver claim, can assign the reclaimed players to the minors without re-submitting them through waivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA
13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently,
in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the
successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled
to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being
asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative)
and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful
claim.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 10-05-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #62
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
All three goalies' contracts expire at the end of the year.
Nice! I should have been more clear, I knew Ortio's did, but with him being RFA I was thinking of it differently. I don't know why though, but I had thought this entire time we had two more years of Hiller.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 12:59 AM   #63
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
So this is what I saw:

Code:
2013-01-31    Hurricanes    • Zach Boychuk    lost off waivers (to Penguins)
2013-01-31    Penguins    • Zach Boychuk    claimed off waivers (from Hurricanes)
2013-03-04    Penguins    • Zach Boychuk    waived
2013-03-05    Predators    • Zach Boychuk    claimed off waivers (from Penguins)
2013-03-20    Predators    • Zach Boychuk    waived
2013-03-21    Hurricanes    • Zach Boychuk    claimed off waivers (from Predators)
2013-03-22    Hurricanes    • Zach Boychuk    waived
2013-03-23    Hurricanes    • Zach Boychuk    assigned to AHL
From the Hurricanes to the Penguins to the Predators and back to the Hurricanes within two months.

Nothing in the CBA says that the Hurricanes got first dibs on him when the Predators claimed him. The CBA does say that the original team, if they're the only team with a waiver claim, can assign the reclaimed players to the minors without re-submitting them through waivers.
I am sure someone else (probably Sureloss or Getback) will 100% answer your question (or correct me), but IIRC, the Flames wouldn't get first dibs. They would get first dibs AFTER the remaining teams that had put in a waiver claim the first time on Ortio passed him up.

So if Calgary waives Ortio, and let's say Pittsburgh claims him, but Chicago (for the sake of argument) also put in a claim on him.

If Pittsburgh then waives him down the road, then Chicago would get first dibs, and then back to Calgary if they pass. Calgary would be ahead of all the other teams who may put in a claim on him if Pittsburgh waives him, and Chicago decides to pass on him the 2nd time around.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:05 AM   #64
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sounds right to me.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #65
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Treliving on 960 says he has internally put a time frame on dealing with the 3 goalie situation.

Also said no one is really interested in acquiring one of their goaltenders nor are they actively trying to force one out of town.

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-06-2015 at 07:58 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #66
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure BT has something in place, maybe not finalized but I'm sure he has the framework of at least one deal in place for one of the goalies. I could honestly see the sabres wanting Hiller. I don't know what the return would be or what would be going along with Hiller but I can see either Hiller or Ramo to the sabres
Old 10-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #67
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure waiver order is always based on last year's standings until November and then on this year's standings for the rest of the season. I don't believe there is anything about the original team getting dibs.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #68
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

So put up or shut up then as one of the 3 goalies. Well at least there should be a lot of competition. Hope ORTIO gets his chance. Wonder what the timeframe is. 2 months?
Old 10-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #69
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Treliving on 960 says he has internally put a time frame on dealing with the 3 goalie situation.

Also said no one is really interested in acquiring one of their goaltenders nor are they actively trying to force one out of town.
How do you a put a timeline on something for which you actually have no option for? Haha

We are so losing Ortio in this
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #70
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Ortio will hit waivers. BT said they have a timeline on things but has nothing in place...I'm not buying it, I think they have a contingency plan in place and I think other options will come up by that time too.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #71
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving is waiting this out, and the longer it drags on, the more I feel he is trying to sneak Ortio down (barring a goaltender injury enabling a trade).
Berube gets claimed, so now the Isles need to decide on Greiss. That will impact any other teams looking to change their makeup in net:
Does Florida want a better backup than Montoya?
Does Arizona want a better backup than Lindback?

If no teams are interested in our goaltenders (and if that statement is true) that means that teams who may want a better backup as insurance to an inexperienced starter - San Jose or Buffalo come to mind - are not in the market right now.

Looking around the league, as best as I can do as an outsider, there aren't a lot of openings right now, besides those referenced above.

One assumption is that Treliving is now waiting on how the Greiss situation plays out, and whether Florida make a move. I doubt Arizona would do anything this year to help their team out, but if they like Ortio long term. they are a risk to claim, especially as they can shuttle guys to the AHL to free up space while they deal with Lindback.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #72
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

This is worst case scenario for Ortio. As the 3rd stringer, he needs both goalies to fail before he gets a chance. And then his margin for error is slim.

Not surprised at the lack of a trade market for Ramo and Hiller, although I would have thought Ortio could have returned a middle round pick.

There is a plan here, right?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #73
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This is worst case scenario for Ortio. As the 3rd stringer, he needs both goalies to fail before he gets a chance. And then his margin for error is slim.

Not surprised at the lack of a trade market for Ramo and Hiller, although I would have thought Ortio could have returned a middle round pick.

Just because he's 3rd doesn't mean he has to wait for failure to get a spot. Trades can happen, injuries can happen or they might say "Ramo/Hiller - while you are a better goalie in our eyes, the contract you have forces us to waive you, not Ortio, because it's safer".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #74
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Tre is just waiting for the dust to settle, don't want to many people catching on he's a wizard.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #75
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I can see the Flames alternating the 3 goalies through the first 20 games. It'll only be when another team's #1 gets injured or falters severely that I think any of them will be moved. And I wouldn't be too shocked if any one of them was traded.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #76
badger89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I don't think Ortio will hit waivers. BT said they have a timeline on things but has nothing in place...I'm not buying it, I think they have a contingency plan in place and I think other options will come up by that time too.
The contingency plan is likely just to bury Hiller or Ramo in the minors. My guess is that Hiller ends up going down. But who knows, maybe they both will at different points.
badger89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:44 PM   #77
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
I can see the Flames alternating the 3 goalies through the first 20 games. It'll only be when another team's #1 gets injured or falters severely that I think any of them will be moved. And I wouldn't be too shocked if any one of them was traded.
I agree, except Ortio probably won't be traded. Big upside, we know what we have with Ramo and Hiller. Otherwise Ortio would have been waived already.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:56 PM   #78
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah ^ Ortio has the most value of the three simply based on potential and age. He unknown factor. We know hiller and ramo very well but he can walk in and be a starter potentially.

I think we should keep 3 goalies until one gets injured or plays bad enough that you are ok with him potentially being claimed on waivers. Hoping his bad play and contract prevents anyone from claiming him. I think it will be tough to find some value in a trade for ramo or hiller as they are both solid back ups but not really starters anyone competitive would want to go with.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:57 AM   #79
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking the Flames are hoping Ramo can take the #1 goalie position. If he can than we waive or deal Hiller. We keep Ortio as for now, the backup. This situation reminds me a bit of when we traded Giguere and kept the vet before the expansion draft.

Quote:
CALGARY, Alberta (AP) -- New Calgary Flames general manager Craig Button made his first trade Saturday, sending promising goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks for a second-round pick in this month's NHL entry draft. That gives the Flames three picks in the first two rounds of the draft, which will be held in Calgary on June 24-25.
This appears to be another quirky move in anticipation of the June 23 expansion draft. Most teams will protect only one goalie when Columbus and Minnesota draft from the unprotected lists.
No way should we risk losing Ortio for the immediate benefit of going with two proven goalies.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 AM   #80
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the main reasons I don't think one of these guys will be sent down is because it would take playing time away from Gillies. If Hiller gets sent down, you either sit your future franchise goalie or you have a 4 million dollar minor league back up.