Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #21
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a player on this team who isn't trade bait IMO, if another GM is willing to overvalue him.

Ferland is a very handy guy to have around, especially at decent money. But everything changes if he starts looking for a big $'s and/or term next year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #22
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a player on this team who isn't trade bait IMO, if another GM is willing to overvalue him.

Ferland is a very handy guy to have around, especially at decent money. But everything changes if he starts looking for a big $'s and/or term next year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #23
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

On this team Ferland has the hardest shot(and can get it through traffic cleanly), the best accelleration, good vision, reliable two-way play despite the occasional giveaway, is a good screener, is simply excellent at takeaways, and he's clearly still developing rougher aspects of his game (backhand, tapping in rebounds, and deflecting point shots). I don't see a finished package at all.

I see no reason he can't be a 25/25 guy at some point before he starts to slow down physically. I don't think he's got "elite" upside or anything, but I don't see why he can't be a poor man's version of Jamie Benn. Style-wise it's actually who comes to mind for me as no one else in the league really has the same package.

One thing I would like is for Ferly to get more PK/PP time over guys like Bouma/Frolik respectively.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-27-2017 at 11:24 AM.
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #24
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default What is Ferlands potential with the flames?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I could see him having one or two 20 goal seasons, but that's about it.

I really like Ferland but I just don't see him getting much better.
I don't see why not. Sure, Ferland is now 25-years-old, but he had a very late start to his hockey career and has improved every season since going pro. Last year was just his second NHL season, and he was substantially better this year than in 2015-16. I see no reason to think that he won't take another big step next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #25
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't see why not. Sure, Ferland is now 25-years-old, but he had a very late start to his hockey career and has improved every season since going pro. Last year was just his second NHL season, and he was substantially better this year than in 2015-16. I see no reason to think that he won't take another big step next year.
2nd season!!! Wow, feels like he has been a Flame for 3 or 4 years now.
Hopefully he takes another step forward in his 3rd season!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #26
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

90 goals, 200 points.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think he's got the potential to be a 20 goal 30 to 40 point guy given ice time and pp time.

For you older bastards out there he's a more skilled version of Willi Plett

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #28
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think he will ever "put it all together"....I also think that he's trying to adapt his game in the interest of longevity. Hes a smart kid and he probably sees guys that play the wrecking ball style and their careers are starting to fizzle earlier and earlier.

I think a realistic expectation is a career average of 15 to 20 goals, 20 ish assists. But he will also have that one or two years where everything goes his way and he pots 30 goals.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #29
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I don't think he will ever "put it all together"....I also think that he's trying to adapt his game in the interest of longevity. Hes a smart kid and he probably sees guys that play the wrecking ball style and their careers are starting to fizzle earlier and earlier.

I think a realistic expectation is a career average of 15 to 20 goals, 20 ish assists. But he will also have that one or two years where everything goes his way and he pots 30 goals.
Yep, he had a perfect example right in front of his eyes in Lance Bouma of what happens when you constantly sacrifice your body to contribute and win.

It sounds like the right thing to do, play to win at all costs, but as much as fans and coaches praise it, they'll turn on you the second you can't do it anymore and that time WILL come soon for role players playing that way. All you're really helping is that years version of your team, and I would be concerned of doing that if I was a player.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #30
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

I think he can play all rolls but is best suited on the 2nd or 3rd line with a Bennet or Tkachuk. There is too much pressure on the top line and people want to see him play that heavy hitting game. That won't work on the top line as he needs to be driving the net and not caught behind the play on a huge hit.

Playing with Bennet or Tkachuk makes that line a instant frustrating line for the other team with skill to score.

4th line is a waste of his talent.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #31
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
90 goals, 200 points.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #32
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably a second line guy at the worst... I agree with MarkGio that a line with Chucky Bennett and Ferland would be quite the package ��
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #33
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's Calgary's Hartnell, and I like that.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #34
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
90 goals, 200 points.
You mean next season?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #35
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Matt Cooke type of production would be his ceiling. He will probably flirt with 20/20, 40 points.

Bu ideally, a good team would have him on the bottom 6.

Disclaimer: I am not saying he is a dirty POS like Cooke, although Ferland does have a bit of a nasty edge.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #36
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
He's Calgary's Hartnell, and I like that.
Hartnell Lite with more speed

Which is fine, but by this point in Scotty's career he'd already scored 20+ three times.

Like I said, Hartnell lite is just fine by me as long as his cap hit fits that type production accordingly.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #37
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Hartnell Lite with more speed

Which is fine, but by this point in Scotty's career he'd already scored 20+ three times.

Like I said, Hartnell lite is just fine by me as long as his cap hit fits that type production accordingly.
And this is why it is so important to factor Ferland's age against his experience when making comparisons. Ferland's current progression and his trajectory suggests that at 25-years-old he still has a lot more room to grow than someone like Hartnall did at the same age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #38
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
And this is why it is so important to factor Ferland's age against his experience when making comparisons. Ferland's current progression and his trajectory suggests that at 25-years-old he still has a lot more room to grow than someone like Hartnall did at the same age.
I completely agree with this, which is why I would certainly keep him in the fold.

Even if he stays what he is right now he's a very useful player.

If he actually has more to give then we've hit a homerun.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #39
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How do Ferland compare to Nick Rickie in your opinion? I think both are hard nosed players with skills. Nick is a much higher pick but as to ceiling..., who knows!?
bigbadboss101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #40
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really believe Ferland has more development. I look at development simply as "a player is developing until he no longer is".

Who here can say that last season Ferland didn't take a step forward in his overall game? Sure, consistency is key, but his baseline went up and his 'peaks' definitely went up as well. Why are people going to say: "That's all the room he has left to grow, and he is what he is now."?

He is what he is when he is 'that' for a couple of seasons in a row. He is progressing every year, and until he stops, I expect him to progress every year.

Ferland is not your typical player. Started late. Battled fitness issues. Battled addiction issues. Got his head on straight and is now climbing steadily as a player. Nobody at this point can really say. He may end up being a legitimate top line winger. He may end up as just a pretty good bottom 6 player. I would bank he ends up somewhere in the top 6.

Ferland - as he is today - is a very valuable piece for the Flames. His speed, IQ, physicality, his shot, his passing ability, his board work, his defensive acumen - these make him a very versatile player that can play all up and down the lineup on either wing, and in any situation, and not hurt this team.

Also, I like the fact that he is such a clean player given the type of game he plays. He went through like half the season without taking a minor penalty. That's awesome.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: