Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-11-2015, 12:09 AM   #41
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Nobody should be writing-off Mangiapane, just that we should be tempering our expectations.

There are tonnes of really great small over-agers that have scored at a high clip in juniors, and have done nothing in the NHL. Heck, Paul Byron was a really good prospect in the Q, getting 1.5pts/game leading his team after Giroux graduated, and Pistilli was moved to Shawinigan.

Point is, there is no reason to be pumping any tires due to how many points Mangiapane is getting, but it is definitely even worse to just dismiss him as a legitimate prospect completely either. He is just going to be an interesting prospect to watch develop over time in the Flames' system.

I would be happy enough if he becomes a very good AHL'er. Someone to add skill to the lineup down there longer term and help the other prospects develop. That in itself I would consider a 'win' from a 6th round pick. However, of course I would love it if Mangipane translates really well into the NHL - and he may do it. It is just that his scoring rate in the OHL this year was very much expected and doesn't suddenly change him into some kind of awesome blue-chipper for the organization.
I agree with everything you say but the problem is there really isn't much else in terms of good news for Flames fans to talk or be happy about.

The NHL team sucks. The AHL team sucks and can't score any goals and top prospects like Poirier, Granlund, and Klimchuk are struggling. Reports on Kylington are varied. Wotherspoon and Morrison, two guys who were supposedly close, are struggling.

There's not much else in college hockey. The other CHL prospects are pretty mediocre, and the Euro prospects are barely even playing on their respective teams.

Pretty much everything that can go wrong for this organization this year, has gone wrong. So it's hard to blame some fans for getting a little excited over a smidgen of good news.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #42
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I agree with your post, I just have a problem with your definition of an over-aged player. An overage player in the CHL is one who is 20 years old. Mangiapane is 19.
Mangiapane was 18 for most of the season when he was drafted. He turned 19 just near the end. He's close in age to a guy like Jack Eichel.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #43
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What's your point exactly saying that? I ask because it seems you've completely missed Vulcan's.

Mangiapane is not an over aged CHL player. He was however an older draft pick, going one year after he was eligible. We're getting hung up on terminology here. Mangiapane could go back to the OHL next season as overaged 20 year old, but he isn't this year, obviously.

As for prospects, it's nice to see Rasmus Andersson pick things up after what can only be described as a horrific start. Now a -1 with 13 points in 15 games. After his first 7 games he was -7 with 2 points.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #44
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The "overage" thing is usually more an issue in cases like Hunter Smith's, where he was OBVIOUSLY more physically developed (and just plain bigger) than most kids he was playing with. Mangiapane? He's not huge, even though he's a few months older than some OHL kids.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #45
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stats updated to 11/22/15
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #46
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually surprised that Riley Bruce has 6 points in 21 games. That's a lot more than his 3 points in 52 games from last year.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #47
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stats updated to 11/29/15

Klimchuk, Karnaukhov and DeBlouw all returned from injury this week
Old 11-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #48
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kanzig shows 1G 2A 2P

From your stats sheet this year so far it looks like:
Excited about:
Jankowski, Gilmour, Grant, Shore

Disappointed with:
Poirier, Klimchuk, Morrison, Wotherspoon, Carroll, Rafikov
Old 12-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #49
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Kanzig shows 1G 2A 2P

From your stats sheet this year so far it looks like:
Excited about:
Jankowski, Gilmour, Grant, Shore

Disappointed with:
Poirier, Klimchuk, Morrison, Wotherspoon, Carroll, Rafikov
Agree with your stats analysis. However I'd put an asterisk over with Carroll and Klimchuk as AHL rookies. Carroll is a bit of a late blooming power forward and those types of players can take a couple years to adapt to each new level of hockey as they move along in their career. Klimchuk will hopefully step his offensive game up by the 2nd half of the year. Injuries will likely hand everyone greater roles at various points in the season.

All I'm saying is that I'm not worried about Klimchuk and Carroll yet, too early in their pro careers.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:55 PM   #50
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Agree with your stats analysis. However I'd put an asterisk over with Carroll and Klimchuk as AHL rookies. Carroll is a bit of a late blooming power forward and those types of players can take a couple years to adapt to each new level of hockey as they move along in their career. Klimchuk will hopefully step his offensive game up by the 2nd half of the year. Injuries will likely hand everyone greater roles at various points in the season.

All I'm saying is that I'm not worried about Klimchuk and Carroll yet, too early in their pro careers.
Klimchuk was also injured by a bit of a cheap hit and has been used in a primarily defensive role when he has played. With the way Huska cycles guys in and out of the lineup, the fact Klimchuk has not been a healthy scratch in encouraging.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #51
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stats updated to 12/13/15

Man, the Heat stats are abysmal.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #52
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

My apologies, I didn't forget this but I did have ALOT of life get in the way.

Stats are updated to 01/03/16.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #53
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

From 1000 feet it seems like with Monahan, Gaudreau and Bennett all graduating, our prospect pool is pretty weak up front. Jankowski (middle six potential) and Arnold (bottom six potential) seem like they're meeting/above expectations and Grant is a wild card for me. But other than that looks very weak. It doesn't appear that the Flames have any elite or even A level talent coming through their system, in particular anyone to play the right side top 6.

On the other hand our D prospects are really good, and hopefully Gillies will continue to develop well after he recovers.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:03 PM   #54
cofias
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
From 1000 feet it seems like with Monahan, Gaudreau and Bennett all graduating, our prospect pool is pretty weak up front. Jankowski (middle six potential) and Arnold (bottom six potential) seem like they're meeting/above expectations and Grant is a wild card for me. But other than that looks very weak. It doesn't appear that the Flames have any elite or even A level talent coming through their system, in particular anyone to play the right side top 6.

On the other hand our D prospects are really good, and hopefully Gillies will continue to develop well after he recovers.
I agree, though the deal was great it did hurt giving up all those 2015 picks. Going to need good value in the next two drafts coming up otherwise we will be in trouble regarding forwards. Need a steady stream of forwards graduating and playing well on cheap deals. UFAs are hardly an option.
cofias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #55
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post

Don't forget Jooris, Granlund and Ferland who have all "graduated" as well. So not surprising the remaining prospect pool feels a bit thin.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #56
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stats updated to 01/25/16

Riley Bruce just came off a 10 game suspension. Mattsson has a broken leg and not currently active.

Stats for the Heat...well...I mean they are getting better but most are still pretty grim.

Our CHL prospects shine a bright beacon of hope. Well our F/D, the goalies leave a little to be desired.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 11:28 AM   #57
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stats updated to 02/10/16

The Heat are getting obliterated with injuries.

Rafikov still appears to be getting buried in the KHL. If he wants to continue playing hockey, I can't imagine he stays in Russia next year. He would honestly have a better chance at playing time in the AHL or ECHL and developing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2016, 08:05 PM   #58
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can Mangiapane and Andersen play a game or two for the Flames, Backlund style, if their OHL post-season is cut short?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:58 PM   #59
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane doesn't have a contract, so no he couldn't.

Andersson could, but I don't see why the Flames would do that when they have several guys on the farm who should warrant NHL time before bringing a guy up from junior.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:09 AM   #60
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Stats updated to 02/10/16

The Heat are getting obliterated with injuries.

Rafikov still appears to be getting buried in the KHL. If he wants to continue playing hockey, I can't imagine he stays in Russia next year. He would honestly have a better chance at playing time in the AHL or ECHL and developing.
The Rafikov situation is totally baffling
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
adirondack thunder , chl , flames prospects , ncaa , stockton heat