Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #4381
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
To call Eberle a better on-ice asset than Frolik is frighteningly obtuse.

Frolik scored 17 goals to Eberle's 20 last year, but guess whose shooting percentage was lower? Frolik's.

Frolik had one of the highest relative Corsi ratings in the NHL. Eberle's was the third-lowest of his career.

Eberle's PDO was above 100 last year for the first time in three years... he got lucky and still declined. Frolik's was 99.7... slightly unlucky, but he still dominated possession-wise, even with offensive zone starts below 40%. Eberle's were above 55%.

And, they're just two years apart in age.

Frolik is a better player than Eberle in pretty much every category.

PDO is meaningless for an individual player. Eberle played in front of Talbot so his PDO benefitted from that vs. Frolik who didn't. I wish there was a stat to just compare shooting percentage between players without adding in save percentage
Old 05-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #4382
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
PDO is meaningless for an individual player. Eberle played in front of Talbot so his PDO benefitted from that vs. Frolik who didn't. I wish there was a stat to just compare shooting percentage between players without adding in save percentage
There is, and Eberle's was higher.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #4383
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eberle has so many red flags. Sure his career numbers look good, but his most successful years were playing in a system that was devoid of playing defense. He is in the prime of his career and his ppg is trending the wrong way. At 6M you need to stir the drink and he doesn't effectively do that. He is an expensive passenger.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #4384
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
To call Eberle a better on-ice asset than Frolik is frighteningly obtuse.

Frolik scored 17 goals to Eberle's 20 last year, but guess whose shooting percentage was lower? Frolik's.

Frolik had one of the highest relative Corsi ratings in the NHL. Eberle's was the third-lowest of his career.

Eberle's PDO was above 100 last year for the first time in three years... he got lucky and still declined. Frolik's was 99.7... slightly unlucky, but he still dominated possession-wise, even with offensive zone starts below 40%. Eberle's were above 55%.

And, they're just two years apart in age.

Frolik is a better player than Eberle in pretty much every category.
I agree Frolik is a great utility player. He's a consistent 40pt player.

But Eberle has some value. He was at one point a legit first line RW and one of the better RWs in the league. Yes, he's trending downwards and it doesn't look good, but if he changes his ways much like Schultz, Dubnyk or Gagne eventually did, he could be a top line RW, which Frolik could never be.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #4385
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frolik's offense is 73% that of Jordan Eberle's (over the last 3 years). Frolik is 200% better defensively. Frolik earns 72% what Eberle does. So your pretty much on par with points/$$ but Frolik is near elite defensively. Frolik>>Eberle every day of the week.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:26 PM   #4386
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

At two years left on his contract and potential for him to be rejuvenated with a new team, I'd take him for Troy Brouwer and see if he can find something with Gaudreau and Monahan. I bet he would.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #4387
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I agree Frolik is a great utility player. He's a consistent 40pt player.

But Eberle has some value. He was at one point a legit first line RW and one of the better RWs in the league. Yes, he's trending downwards and it doesn't look good, but if he changes his ways much like Schultz, Dubnyk or Gagne eventually did, he could be a top line RW, which Frolik could never be.
It's risky to try and present a balanced perspective when talking about Oilers and Flames. I think your analysis is pretty good and teams would be willing to still take a chance on Eberle. The more salary the Oil would eat, the better the return I guess.
The Flames aren't good enough yet to roll the dice on something like this IMO.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #4388
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
At two years left on his contract and potential for him to be rejuvenated with a new team, I'd take him for Troy Brouwer and see if he can find something with Gaudreau and Monahan. I bet he would.

Agree, it's just that Frolik is not the price to pay for Eberle. Brouwer + another asset for Eberle? (Shinkaruk, Kylington, 2nd round pick, Dube ... something like that?)
Old 05-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #4389
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I would have no problem trading Brouwer and Shinkaruk for Eberle. I don't think Shinkaruk has much of an NHL future.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #4390
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe some people want Eberle.

Tell me, what is he good at? What makes him worth 6 million dollars a year?

Is he an elite scorer? Absolutely NOT. He is a solid scoring forward who gets 20-something goals a season, and who has been declining not for just one season, but essentially he has been declining 3 straight seasons. He has ONE season of above 30 goals. ONE.

Does he make those around him better? He can make a good pass, but does anyone think that Eberle makes those around him better? I don't. Any advanced stats guys here want to take a crack at this one? I would bet that he makes those around him worse.

Does he make a team harder to play against? Definitely not. He is not a big guy, so you wouldn't expect him to from a traditional physical sense. What I am talking about is that he doesn't play hard. He doesn't put in that effort to get to lose pucks, or win a battle, or skate hard to help cover in the defensive zone. His compete level - IMO - is very low.

Is he a solid defensive player? I bet if you were to ask him, his reply would look something like: "Defensive zone?? Oh right!! That area of the ice that I have to skate through while making a line change." Seriously, he is a terrible defensive forward and I don't think there is an argument to be had here.

Is he a leader with intangibles? I don't know about that. People overrated and underrate something that they are really not privy to. Watching his effort level, I don't think he provides leadership on the ice. Maybe he does in the locker room? No idea.

Tell me why this player is worth 6 million dollars. He was paid based on future production, not what he was at the time. He never got better. His contract was bad when it was signed. The Oilers were hoping he would end up outperforming his contract, so they gave him term and dollars. This is a good example of a contract backfiring.

In a salary cap world, every dollar you spend you want to get value from. No team is going to be immune from having one or two bad value contracts, but too many and they just beat you. Sure, his contract is only for another 2 years, but that is still poor value. You don't pay a guy who is a one-way scorer 6 million a season if he is NOWHERE NEAR elite at it. When will this guy's hype drain and 'I bet he develops' ideas finally die?

He is simply not a good player, and his only redeeming attribute seems to be his ability to put the puck in the net (scorers are ALWAYS valuable, but that is a lot of money for that production). I will bet that he will continue regressing as a scorer - and does so on any team he gets traded to for as long as that team is a 'decent' team. He seems too focused on scoring goals rather than preventing them. Ask him to play defence, and his goal scoring is only going to suffer more.

I would not want this guy for free off of waivers. I am sure I am in the minority on that thought, but I strongly feel that you stay away from guys who do more to help you lose a game than win a game. I guess if you feel he has a chance to help you win, you would feel very different about that waiver statement. I look at him as a player that helps you lose more than he helps you win, and therefore I would not want to claim such a player for free off of waivers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #4391
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Eberle: Tell me what he's good at - the new book by Calgary4life is available wherever books are sold, today.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #4392
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

interesting tidbits from Friedman's 30 thoughts:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...d-dubas-leafs/

RFA compensation for next season:

Average annual value Compensation
$1,295,571 or below Nothing
Over $1,295,571-$1,962,986 Third-round pick
Over $1,962,986-$3,925,975 Second-round pick
Over $3,925,975-$5,888,960 First and third-round picks
Over $5,888,960-$7,851,948 First, second and third-round picks
Over $7,851,948-$9,814,935 Two firsts, second and third-round picks
Over $9,814,935 Four first-round picks

lots of speculation about Anaheim's situation (read the article)

Dallas laying the ground work for trading 3rd OA looking for a d-man that can make a difference. Ducks, BJ, and Wild could potentially make it work. Jets could too if they give up Trouba, but they are going for it

BJs looking for a sniper and as always a #1 center.

thinks McDavid may take a 5 year contract for his next deal like Crosby, Toews, etc

Mike Smith rumblings last week, but not sure if the Coyotes want to move him. Has 8 team list he won't go to.

Ben Scrivens and David Booth want an opportunity after playing in the KHL last year
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 10:44 PM   #4393
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is McDavid at 9.9 million x 7 years worth 4 first rounders?
Old 05-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #4394
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's a touch low I'd guess.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:46 PM   #4395
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

And is Drasaitl worth a 1st + 2nd + 3rd at six-to-seven million?
Old 05-27-2017, 10:48 PM   #4396
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Because if either answer is yes, that means the Oilers are going to have to pay up.

I guess that means the Flames will have to pay up to re-sign Bennett and Ferland
Old 05-27-2017, 11:15 PM   #4397
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry but you've lost me. Are you comparing mcd and drai to Bennett and ferland? Or have I started reading in the middle of something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #4398
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The grease match immediately and say "thanks for doing all the hard negotiating work for us"

That's a steal contract. Offer a 15x5 with an nmc in the 5th year and maybe they don't match
Old 05-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #4399
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
The grease match immediately and say "thanks for doing all the hard negotiating work for us"

That's a steal contract. Offer a 15x5 with an nmc in the 5th year and maybe they don't match
If he gets to rfa I think you nailed the offer sheet except I think it will be 4 years so he gets to ufa status asap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #4400
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol they wish...he wont be that cheap

if you wanted to offer sheet we are talking 13M or more