Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Tampa Bay could host 2018 NHL All-Star Game

Quote:
it looks like the NHL’s top players will be heading to Florida for next season’s All-Star Weekend.

According to multiple reports, including Yahoo! Sports’ Puck Daddy blog, the Tampa Bay Lightning will host the 2018 festivities.

The NHL has not made the official announcement, but Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman wrote the following in Tuesday’s edition of 30 Thoughts, which supports the idea that it’s Tampa:

“One of the reasons some people still hold out hope for Olympic participation is that no All-Star Game has been set for next season. However, it does sound like there are plans for one. At this past season’s All-Star Weekend, it was believed the next one would be held in a Western Conference city, but there are rumblings the league went southeast instead. It will be announced with the full schedule.”
Quote:
Back in December, the Tampa Bay Times reported that league representatives had visited Tampa Bay in a search for potential sites for NHL events, including the All-Star Game, NHL Draft, and outdoor games.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/r...nhl-star-game/
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Great?

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thought Edmonton would host it. I'm assuming Edmonton gets it in 2019.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
The NHL mentioned they are waiting till the Ice District is developed. So maybe 3-5 years away they were saying I think.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are asking players to do extra work, at least make it worth their while. Sunrise, Tampa, Anaheim, Phoenix, LA maybe SJ. It's really a family event so let the players take their families on a nice weekend vacation mid-winter.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

ASG Announcement is basically the final nail in the Olympic Coffin.

Apparently there were some talks at the WHC about re-opening the Olympic discussion but the announcement of the ASG pretty much kills any hope.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Back in December, the Tampa Bay Times reported that league representatives had visited Tampa Bay in a search for potential sites for NHL events, including the All-Star Game, NHL Draft, and outdoor games.
Roller hockey?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Roller hockey?
LA hosted an outdoor classic at Dodger stadium it was reported to be the best one of all the outdoor games.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:07 PM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
LA hosted an outdoor classic at Dodger stadium it was reported to be the best one of all the outdoor games.
It certainly looked awesome. I would totally go to that outdoor game before freezing my ass off in Buffalo.

I went with another poster here to the Red and White Game at the 'Dome before the season of the 2010 Olympics and it was awesome! Going to a hockey game in shorts and sandals is so much better.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #10
Flames4LifeFLA
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We certainly have the facilities here in Tampa for an outdoor game (Raymond James Stadium), the big thing for us is probably weather; the humidity in particular, as our climate is a bit different than Los Angeles. But with the ice-making technology nowadays, certainly seems like this is just a matter of time, especially if the weather would cooperate.

Lightning ownership has been adamant about hosting the All-Star game and an outdoor game, especially with all the money they poured into the rink and surrounding property. These rumors have become much more galvanized and prevalent in local media the last few years. Much has changed since the last time they hosted the All-Stars in 1999, and all for the better really.

I'm curious to see what they do with the possible All-Star Game/Gasparilla parada date conflict, which appears to be the same weekend. For those of you that do not know, Gasaparilla is a pirate-themed parade/festival that takes place in downtown Tampa. Last year 300k people attended the main parade and over 1 million people attended parade-related events. Needless to say, that might stretch resources like hotels/rental cars/etc.

Last edited by Flames4LifeFLA; 05-23-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Flames4LifeFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #11
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
If you are asking players to do extra work, at least make it worth their while. Sunrise, Tampa, Anaheim, Phoenix, LA maybe SJ. It's really a family event so let the players take their families on a nice weekend vacation mid-winter.
You're not really asking players to do "extra work" as the ASG is part of the CBA. It's work they agreed to, which is part of the reason why the league can get away with a quasi suspension for players that blow it off.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Vegas also has a new arena which is IMO at least as nice.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #13
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You're not really asking players to do "extra work" as the ASG is part of the CBA. It's work they agreed to, which is part of the reason why the league can get away with a quasi suspension for players that blow it off.
Technically right. But I think most players view it as extra work I would think, hence blowing it off if they can.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #14
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Vegas also has a new arena which is IMO at least as nice.
Don't forget Detroit too. I'm assuming they'll want to host some stuff in their new building too.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #15
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even with the improved 3 on 3 format I'd still rather have Olympic hockey.

Also, I'd like to see the All Star game move away from the divisional teams and make it a expanded 8 team international tournament using the same teams from the last World Cup.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #16
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

the notion that going to an All-star game is a "extra work" is so ridiculous. As mentioned, the players agreed to it in the CBA. It's a shinny game for fun with literally the best collection of players of your craft in the entire world. You get a chance to connect with a lot of fans in a more interactive setting-, you know the people that have made you a ####ing millionaire. At night presumably you go out and get wasted and have a blast at the bars in a completely relaxed atmosphere with zero curfew or responsibility (so, basically a vacation).

Sometimes I wonder about where society is going when invitations to All-Star games for the best league in the world for a fairly large spectacle for kids and fans and fun is regarded as "extra work"- when it should be regarded as a privilege and a fairly humbling experience enjoying the game you love while you make a kings ransom and generational wealth doing it in addition to being a celebrity and treated like a demi-god for skating around for an hour and not even being expected to try.

The poor players, whatever will they do? If only somebody would cut them a break.

You know who actually needs a ####ing break? The fans, lower the ticket prices and make athletes more accessible.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 05-23-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post: