Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2024, 09:54 PM   #21
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Double standards exist. Bigger names get preferential treatment. If we get Celebrini we will have a lot of calls go our way too. Right now we don't. Deal with it.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:56 PM   #22
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
Double standards exist. Bigger names get preferential treatment. If we get Celebrini we will have a lot of calls go our way too. Right now we don't. Deal with it.
lol, Tkachuk while playing for the Flames got the weakest suspension in NHL history

Gaudreau got fined for diving while McDavid never has even though he embellishes every single game to the point it is a patented move

Last edited by dino7c; 01-17-2024 at 10:03 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 09:57 PM   #23
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
lol
Lol wew. Gaudreau ain't McDavid.

Last edited by RedHawk12; 01-17-2024 at 10:03 PM.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:58 PM   #24
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
Lol wew
I added to it

the Flames had stars, they got the book thrown at them
Old 01-18-2024, 03:51 AM   #25
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
The major factors for Ras was the time of the game, leaving his feet and main point of contact was the head.
Anderson’s hit was stupid. I remember when it happened thinking what in the hell is he doing and that he was going to get suspended for it
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:28 AM   #26
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Remember the Mangiapane suspension

That is a good comparison

Flames screwed as usual
Mangiapane got the guy right in the neck didn’t he? I don’t think the refs get any passes for being competent but I think this is an odd one to complain about.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 01:58 PM   #27
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Mangiapane got the guy right in the neck didn’t he?
It was a single action that glanced off the shoulder and landed on the side of the head. The NHL even said that they agreed with Mangiapane's stance that he was aiming for the shoulder, but still gave him 4 games for the end result.

The incident on Zary was two separate actions: a blatant and intentional crosscheck to the head, followed by a second crosscheck to the shoulder while Zary was already down and obviously hurt from the first crosscheck.

NHL: "Yes, we agree that you didn't intend to crosscheck him in the head while he was down... buuuuut... 4 1 game s!" [edited]

NHL: "I mean, yeah, he obviously intended to crosscheck Zary in the face... and then a second time while Zary was down... buuuut... are you gonna finish those fries?"

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-18-2024 at 02:15 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:09 PM   #28
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
It was a single action that glanced off the shoulder and landed on the side of the head. The NHL even said that they agreed with Mangiapane's stance that he was aiming for the shoulder, but still gave him 4 games for the end result.

The incident on Zary was two separate actions: a blatant and intentional crosscheck to the head, followed by a second crosscheck to the shoulder while Zary was already down and obviously hurt from the first crosscheck.

NHL: "Yes, we agree that you didn't intend to crosscheck him in the head while he was down... buuuuut... 4 games!"

NHL: "I mean, yeah, he obviously intended to crosscheck Zary in the face... and then a second time while Zary was down... buuuut... are you gonna finish those fries?"

It was a one game suspension not four.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 02:12 PM   #29
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not the same at all, first one was a punch to the face (hard to crosscheck when you only have one hand on your stick), second was a cross check to shoulder and his glove hits Zary in the face. Mangiapane went for the shoulder but got all neck.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:16 PM   #30
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
It was a one game suspension not four.
Whoops, you're right. I thought he and Andersson got the same suspensions, for some reason.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:17 PM   #31
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slow it down his stick hits Zary in the face and neck on the initial shot, ear on shot two

Its also a 5 Min major, game misconduct, one game suspension

vs.

2 Minute penalty

He crosschecked an already inured player that he injured with an illegal play laying on the ground after the play was dead and whistle blown lol...second shot hits him in the ear and I'm pretty sure it is attached to his head

Mangiapane crosschecked a player WHO HAD THE PUCK one time during play and his stick slid up and caught his neck...it was dumb but these punishments are indeed double standards

Last edited by dino7c; 01-18-2024 at 02:22 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 02:22 PM   #32
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Not the same at all, first one was a punch to the face (hard to crosscheck when you only have one hand on your stick), second was a cross check to shoulder and his glove hits Zary in the face. Mangiapane went for the shoulder but got all neck.
If you slow it down, it looks more like he punched him in the head (when he was on the ice), and the "crosscheck" to the shoulder was just because he had the stick in both hands.

And the contact to the face when Zary was on his feet was very much a crosscheck. Slow it down, and you can see the left hand doesn't make contact. Both of the guy's hands go right past Zary's head, and the contact to the face is the stick.

Last edited by FanIn80; 01-18-2024 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:28 PM   #33
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah fair, he cross checked the injured player in the back but his fist still hits him in the side of the head

not to go all CSI but Zary is holding the side of his head and face

its multiple head shots...one of an injured player after the play is blown dead (good thing it wasn't the third period with not much time left ha)

2 mins

its absolutely brutal

2nd in Rookie PPG player

we are lucky the injury wasn't serious...if he already had a concussion from the first shot it could have been REALLY bad

Last edited by dino7c; 01-18-2024 at 02:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 02:57 PM   #34
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a dirty bag play for sure. But I'm not sure why we're out for blood.
It's maybe a fine at most.

As far as the Mang xcheck, that's more straight on the head/neck, where as the inital target was the shoulder on Zary. Also Zary ended up playing on the ensuing power play, so I'm sure that's taken into consideration too.
Should it have been a double minor? Yeah, I think so. Wasn't a fan of how they called the Osterlie and Kesselring roughing minors. Really ratty to push a forward into your goalie and then give him a shot for making contact with your goalie. But like, that's hockey?

Also you have to look at things in real time too, sometimes the slow mo makes things look worse than they actually are imo
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 03:22 PM   #35
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
If you slow it down, it looks more like he punched him in the head (when he was on the ice), and the "crosscheck" to the shoulder was just because he had the stick in both hands.

And the contact to the face when Zary was on his feet was very much a crosscheck. Slow it down, and you can see the left hand doesn't make contact. Both of the guy's hands go right past Zary's head, and the contact to the face is the stick.
The behind the net angle is the best, both hands do go by his head, left hand punches Zary in the face, stick is under his right armpit, it's all glove.
one on the ground is a punch in the ear at best.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:26 PM   #36
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I will give you that when you slow it down, when Zary is on the ice and before the punch in the head it looks like his stick catches him in the face, the least intentional part of the play looks like the one that hurt the most.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:47 PM   #37
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Perron and Mangiapane suspensions are more comparable IMO...if Mangiapane got a game then so should Kesselring IMO.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 04:02 PM   #38
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the argument he only punched him in the head twice, once while on the ground already injured and after the play

just making sure

We all know that is a suspension against another player
Old 01-18-2024, 04:12 PM   #39
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

2 games!

The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 09:52 PM   #40
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yeah, you guys are 100% right. There isn't a different rule book for different teams.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post: