Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #21
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like the simplest option would be to backup your image that is stored on the external drive using one of the services listed. I know Crashplan supports external drives, but from this thread, it would seem that Carbonite doesn't.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #22
Milt Schmidt
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
^ Presently I back up my system with a complete image..., which gets saved on an external drive. Can I keep this procedure but replace the external drive with an online drive (it sounds like...not really)

I also share all these files over my network to various computers (the files are on an external drive)...I basically want to keep this set up, but replace the external drive with a cloud drive.

My key folders are sync'd so I can use them whenever and then they auto update when I plug back into the network. Essentially I'd like the "network" to be replaced with an online solution.
You can backup and keep folders in sync with spideroak, I've been using it for a year or so and haven't had any problems keeping data in sync across my Linux, Mac, and Windows machines. It won't backup your whole system though, just your data.

Milt
Milt Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #23
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't want to create a new thread for a similar question:

Are there any options for backing up a drive on OSX besides Time Machine? I have 2 portable drives that I'm using for photos, and I basically want one to be my primary drive (that's the only place I have them as I need them accessible on more than one computer). I want to always back up to the second drive, but don't want it to be tied to the Time Machine ecosystem. I realize I can copy everything manually, but don't want to run the risk of overwriting the wrong drive.

TIA
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #24
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am fairly sure that Crashplan supports Mac
Old 11-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #25
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I am fairly sure that Crashplan supports Mac
Thanks! I didn't realize Crashplan worked for both offline and cloud storage. Looks like I'm switching from Mozy.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #26
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Check it:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-use-ama...lut-1460814873
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #27
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I burn all my photos onto CD's by using the program offered in Picasa 3.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #28
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I burn all my photos onto CD's by using the program offered in Picasa 3.
That's going to take some time for over 100 gigs...
Old 11-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #29
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flickr also had 1TB of free storage for photos.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #30
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So with this virus that was encrypting and ransoming peoples files it got me thinking about backup again. Right now I use cloud storage and an attached external hard drive as my onsite and offsite backup both of which have automated updates.

My fear now is that even with cloud storage what would happen is that it would backup the encrypted files over top of the originals in the cloud and all three sources of data would be lost. Is there a way to protect yourself from this? Currently I do a weekly backup to the cloud so there would be some time to catch it but it still worries me.

My other question is what do people do on Vacation. I realized two weeks into my vacation last summer that my SD card was my only source of all of my pictures I had taken. So I downloaded everything onto my laptop I brought but that still could all be stolen at once. I am curious to what others do.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #31
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
My other question is what do people do on Vacation. I realized two weeks into my vacation last summer that my SD card was my only source of all of my pictures I had taken. So I downloaded everything onto my laptop I brought but that still could all be stolen at once. I am curious to what others do.
I go a few routes for that:

1) Multiple smaller SD cards vs one large one.
- I shoot on an 8GB card a day/every few days. Then swap and leave the full ones in the hotel room. That way if the camera bag is stolen, at least I have some of my pics.

2) Backup to the laptop.
- Laptop doesn't go with me.

3) Upload to dropbox
- Obviously only helpful if I have an internet connection

If I was really paranoid about theft I'd copy the SD card, then mail one home, or put it in another (ie checked) bag, if I wasn't staying in the same place the whole trip. I'm generally more concerned about SD card failure.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 11-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #32
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So with this virus that was encrypting and ransoming peoples files it got me thinking about backup again. Right now I use cloud storage and an attached external hard drive as my onsite and offsite backup both of which have automated updates.

My fear now is that even with cloud storage what would happen is that it would backup the encrypted files over top of the originals in the cloud and all three sources of data would be lost. Is there a way to protect yourself from this? Currently I do a weekly backup to the cloud so there would be some time to catch it but it still worries me.

Ensure your backup solution supports versioning. ie you can log in and get your most recent backup, plug any other version of the file ever uploaded (or within a certain time frame).

I am 90% sure Carbonite provides this service.
GGG