Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #381
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
No way we lose him to UFA. He's either traded or re-signed. Chances are 99% re-signed.

Absolutely. He's such a great teammate, loves wearing the C and saw that Brodie, Hamilton and Backlund took very fair deals I just don't see him pulling a Subban. Somewhere in the 7 million AAV is not out of the question. Maybe Treliving can work his magic and talk him down to somewhere in the 6's, as he'd still be the highest paid player in the team (barring what Gaudreau, Monahan and Hudler get).
Old 06-30-2015, 08:21 PM   #382
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about a 5 year deal for Gio

9-8-7-6-5 - 7 mil avg cap.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:29 PM   #383
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
My favourite:

I thanked this because it made me laugh, but then it made me sad because I'm old.

Last edited by Brendone; 06-30-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:01 PM   #384
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a great deal...I'm happy!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #385
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDebaser View Post
Can you remove that quote about Sam Bennett, it's disrespectful.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #386
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

great deal for the flames.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:44 PM   #387
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan 5.7
Gaudreau 5.7
Bennett 5.7
Brodie 4.5
Hamilton 5.7
--------------------
27.5 ish million for 5 core pieces. Looks pretty good to build around the other guys end up in a similar ball park.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:50 PM   #388
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Price
Rinne
Rask
Lundqvist
Schneider
Quick

are the upper tier of goaltenders. All elite.

With
Varlamov
Bobrovsky
pretty close if they stay healthy.
Holtby is coming on strong and Bishop can move up there too.

So about 1/3 of the league.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:50 PM   #389
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
I'm as excited as the next guy, but all this talk of winning the Cup is a bit much. Baby steps. We've got a great core in place now, but let's become a perennial playoff contender first otherwise we'll start to sound like Leaf fans.
Can't blame people for getting overly excited. I know I am and my expectations for next year is to be in a tough battle with Anaheim and LA for the 3 Pacific division spots. I think those 3 teams so far have distanced themselves from the rest of the pack.

Treliving did something that no one really thought. He added a 6'5 22 year old two way Dman who is already a 1-3 Dman on basically every team in the league and he did this without giving up a roster player.

The Flames also have Monahan who at 20 scored 31 goals and 62 points playing a smart two way game. He is a big body and will only get better.

Johnny proved to the world his skills will translate to the NHL and as he turns 22 going into next season expectations will be that he will also take a step forward. Johnny took big steps every year in college and he is only more comfortable with playing in the league

Bennett proved after being on the shelf for 6 months and only 15 junior games that he was ready to step into the lineup for a playoff team. He now gets a summer to train healthy and is poised to take a run at the Calder.

Brodie proved that at 24 he was a top 2 Dman in the league. He stepped up in the playoffs and either reunites with Gio on the top pair, Hamilton on a 1b type pair or Wideman on a legit number 2 pairing.

It is amazing how this core has come together 2 years into what was supposed to be a 4-5 year painful rebuild.

The Flames boast a top 3 D in the league (arguably the best) and have center depth that is the envy of several teams. If they get good goaltending I think they can improve on last year and secure home ice in round one and exceed 100pts next year with eyes on being one of the leagues most dominant all around teams in 2-3 years
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:36 AM   #390
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Here's the Hamilton/Treliving conference call:
https://soundcloud.com/dcmahiban/dou...onference-call

Treliving jumps in and sticks up for Dougie when someone starts to ask about the "uppity" rumours.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2015, 01:05 AM   #391
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

Treliving jumps in and sticks up for Dougie when someone starts to ask about the "uppity" rumours.
Wow that was awkward to listen to, 3 times reporters out of Boston tried to get Dougie to say he wanted out of Boston.

Hey Dougie, just, why did things break down in Boston?
I think I don’t really want to talk about the past too much. Like I said, I enjoyed my time there and right now, for me it’s all my excitement about the future and the last couple of days I’ve just been really excited about this new opportunity and being a Calgary Flame. For me it’s just really exciting. I’m not really thinking about the past right now. I’m just looking forward to getting Calgary and starting a new chapter in my life.

Well, like Brad just said, to kind of clear up everything that’s been said and been written over the last couple of days, was it your decision that you wanted to leave Boston or was it Boston’s decision that they wanted to part ways? Just, how did that whole thing end there is what we’re trying to figure out.
Again, for me I’m just excited to be a Flame. I guess that’s it for me. I’m just looking forward to it now like I said, and like I said, really looking forward to getting to Calgary and getting to playing. I’m looking at the team and the players that they have there and everything and it’s really exciting. I couldn’t be happier.

Given that the money that you did take with Calgary was similar to what the Bruins were offering relatively early in the process, the national perception will be that you did not want to stay. Could you deny that? By offering no comment you kind of let that stay out there, right?
Yeah, for me I’m just going to keep on saying how excited I am to be a Flame. I’m looking forward to the future and everything. I think what’s un the past is in the past and i think I’m just looking forward to being a Flame, to moving to Calgary and seeing the city and the fans. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it. I’m just excited for that.

Last edited by jg13; 07-01-2015 at 01:32 AM.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2015, 01:07 AM   #392
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Wow that was awkward to listen to, 3 times reporters out of Boston tried to get Dougie to say he wanted out of Boston and he just replied with "I'm happy to be in Calgary and look to the future."
Yeah, just leave Dougie alone! Seemed pretty clear he's not going to say he wanted out, that wouldn't be a wise move.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:10 AM   #393
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that would suck to have to answer those questions. Dougie did well and I loved when Treliving budded in to stick up for him. He almost sounded mad
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:48 AM   #394
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Wow that was awkward to listen to, 3 times reporters out of Boston tried to get Dougie to say he wanted out of Boston.

Hey Dougie, just, why did things break down in Boston?
I think I don’t really want to talk about the past too much. Like I said, I enjoyed my time there and right now, for me it’s all my excitement about the future and the last couple of days I’ve just been really excited about this new opportunity and being a Calgary Flame. For me it’s just really exciting. I’m not really thinking about the past right now. I’m just looking forward to getting Calgary and starting a new chapter in my life.

Well, like Brad just said, to kind of clear up everything that’s been said and been written over the last couple of days, was it your decision that you wanted to leave Boston or was it Boston’s decision that they wanted to part ways? Just, how did that whole thing end there is what we’re trying to figure out.
Again, for me I’m just excited to be a Flame. I guess that’s it for me. I’m just looking forward to it now like I said, and like I said, really looking forward to getting to Calgary and getting to playing. I’m looking at the team and the players that they have there and everything and it’s really exciting. I couldn’t be happier.

Given that the money that you did take with Calgary was similar to what the Bruins were offering relatively early in the process, the national perception will be that you did not want to stay. Could you deny that? By offering no comment you kind of let that stay out there, right?
Yeah, for me I’m just going to keep on saying how excited I am to be a Flame. I’m looking forward to the future and everything. I think what’s un the past is in the past and i think I’m just looking forward to being a Flame, to moving to Calgary and seeing the city and the fans. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it. I’m just excited for that.
I hope he scores a hat trick his first trip back. With 3 assists from JOHNNY.

Speaking of which, I hope JOHNNY took not of what happenned today. At least for the most part, Calgary media handled Dions departure better...

Lol outside of Germain Franklin. Sorry Germain
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:02 AM   #395
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Who cares if he wanted out of Boston? They're a team on the downturn with cap issues and a media base that would slaughter their own child for a story. Flames are a team on the upswing with a fairly calm media presence considering the fact that they have nearly a million fans in the city.
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:15 AM   #396
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, just leave Dougie alone! Seemed pretty clear he's not going to say he wanted out, that wouldn't be a wise move.
Sure but if the situations were reversed, we'd want him to deal with the questions and give an honest answer versus this I don't deal with the past. It would be tough to take as a Boston fan to not get answers and would be hard to listen to someone refer to 3 days ago as the " the past that they don't want to talk about". I mean its not like they were asking him about something that happened 10 years ago so I think it's fair ball to ask and push. Those reporters wouldn't be doing their job and justice to their customers (Boston hockey fans) if they didn't push.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2015, 02:16 AM   #397
Go_Flames4ever
Farm Team Player

Exp:

It seems it was only the American reporters/journalists asking about Dougie's departure and making it awkward for him. They really don't have anything constructive to ask or anything that's really relevant. I suppose to them it's something they can sell back to the Boston public.

That aside, this is probably one of the most fantastic deals for a stud RHD that is only going to get better. I would've preferred a 7-year deal, but that may tip the AAV over $6.5m, so this still works great nonetheless. Very exciting times ahead for Flames fans.
Go_Flames4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:14 AM   #398
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Might not be the right thread for it, but man, the Bruins have traded away a very strong roster the last few years.

Obviously they have received picks and players back, I won't go in to that much detail who won, but they sure aren't afraid to pull the trigger.

Lukic - Seguin - Kessel

That is pretty much three allstars right there.

Boychuck - Hamilton

One potential (or current?) #1 D-man and a solid top pairing/top four player.

Thomas
Jones

Thomas was arguably over the hill back then, Jones was flipped fast. Still...

I'm sure there are more, but just showing how hard it is to ice a strong roster in a cap world. Or, showing how poorly Chiarelli managed it...
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:40 AM   #399
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

He got texts from players around the league telling him how great the team, city, and organization is in Calgary. That is pretty fantastic that the Calgary Flames have built this reputation. Very proud of the ownership group and management staff right now.

I would like to know who those 'players around the league' were. Iggy?
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to starseed For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #400
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Boston media is reading way too much ino it. Hamilton was asking for more from the Bruins because he knew that an offersheet was likely. That was a huge bargaining chip. An offersheet on him as a Flame was a lot less likely because everyone knows we would match, hence why he had less leverage to ask for more.