Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #1441
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Apologies for an iPhone 6 in a dimly lit arena, but here’s Mike Smith’s white pads (road?) setup for those that dig on goalie gear. #Flames

sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #1442
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Apologies for an iPhone 6 in a dimly lit arena, but here’s Mike Smith’s white pads (road?) setup for those that dig on goalie gear. #Flames

God, he is big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #1443
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Isn't this the guy who used to hock cheetah energy drinks?
There's a bunch of drinks in large cans strategically placed in front of the speakers. One of which is a 50/50 split tea drink, which is a D'Angelo product:

http://www.dangelobrands.ca/prod-beverages.shtml

And to answer your question, yes it is him and he is he actually hocking drinks in this interview.

Last edited by blankall; 09-27-2017 at 12:33 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #1444
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There's a bunch of drinks in large cans strategically placed in front of the speakers. One of which is a 50/50 split tea drink, which is a D'Angelo product:

http://www.dangelobrands.ca/prod-beverages.shtml

And to answer your question, yes it is him and he is he actually hocking drinks in this interview.
A successful businessman from Sault Ste. Marie has a hockey opinion show and funds his YouTube channel by advertising a brand that he owns, how’s that a problem?

It’s not like he’s reviewing energy drinks.

I found those perspectives on Smith quite interesting. They’re actually less negative in my opinion of the move. I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see how he’s an upgrade over Brian Elliot.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #1445
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
A successful businessman from Sault Ste. Marie has a hockey opinion show and funds his YouTube channel by advertising a brand that he owns, how’s that a problem?

It’s not like he’s reviewing energy drinks.

I found those perspectives on Smith quite interesting. They’re actually less negative in my opinion of the move. I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see how he’s an upgrade over Brian Elliot.
It has been noted numerous times already in this thread, but Smith's high dangers and medium danger SP are both considerably better than Elliott's. I would say that on its own provides a clear upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #1446
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
These comments are from June when the deal was announced, but it was interesting to hear Phil Esposito's views at the 0:20 mark - he said the biggest challenge with Smith in Dallas, Tampa and Phoenix is that he has been "inconsistent". Phil acknowledged Smith had one good year in Phoenix. It will be interesting to see if the change in venue to a Canadian hockey market and with one of the best d-cores in the NHL in front of him if Smith can solve his consistency challenges. If he can, then the Flames have a winner.

Whoever came up with idea of putting radio guys on TV should be shot. And they're pretty bad radio guys too based on this clip
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #1447
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It has been noted numerous times already in this thread, but Smith's high dangers and medium danger SP are both considerably better than Elliott's.
What? Elliott's Medium Danger SV% is clearly higher than Smith's and the HDSV% is virtually identical. Low Danger is in favor of Smith (but is also considered the least repeatable of the three goalie stats.)

I mean, you could probably cherry pick last year's sample to make it look that way, but... there's a reason that goal based stats like point rates or save percentages are best evaluated with larger multi-season sample sizes.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 09-27-2017 at 07:58 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #1448
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Elliott's downfall was low danger chances. I can't remember which poster dug this up, but:
Quote:
After the first round of the playoffs: League-wide, there were 23 low danger shots that resulted in goals. 7 of those were on Elliott. No other goalie allowed more than 2.
Smith has good advanced numbers for the most part, coming from a god-awful Arizona team.

@DarrenWHaynes
Many say ES SV% is a better indicator of a goalie's ability. Of 52 goalies with >40 starts the last 2 seasons, Mike Smith ranks 11th (.927).
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #1449
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
What? Elliott's Medium Danger SV% is clearly higher than Smith's and the HDSV% is virtually identical. Low Danger is in favor of Smith (but is also considered the least repeatable of the three goalie stats.)

I mean, you could probably cherry pick last year's sample to make it look that way, but... there's a reason that goal based stats like point rates or save percentages are best evaluated with larger multi-season sample sizes.
Just wanted to say thanks for doing the legwork to compare them as I was too lazy to check. Provides a good view to see the two Goalies compared over a larger sample size which would seem to day they are pretty equal.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #1450
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith's been pretty consistent given what he's had to work with. I've said this a couple times, I'll continue to say it: when last the Coyotes had a 60 (!!!) Point player, the death of Osama bin Laden was recent news.

Bring me my chicken salad.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #1451
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Smith's been pretty consistent given what he's had to work with. I've said this a couple times, I'll continue to say it: when last the Coyotes had a 60 (!!!) Point player, the death of Osama bin Laden was recent news.

Bring me my chicken salad.
Plus Elliott had the best (or close to) D core in the league in his time with STL.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #1452
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

In one fantasy projection (that I generally find pretty good), Smith was estimated to have 25 wins and 24 losses in 54 starts.

For reference, Elliott was 26-18 last year in 45 starts. So Smith will start almost ten more games and will have less wins than Elliott did last season.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be an Oiler fan, when people are endlessly optimistic about your team despite having spent a decade as the most historically poor team in pro sports. Why are the Flames so routinely subjected to pessimism?
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #1453
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
In one fantasy projection (that I generally find pretty good), Smith was estimated to have 25 wins and 24 losses in 54 starts.

For reference, Elliott was 26-18 last year in 45 starts. So Smith will start almost ten more games and will have less wins than Elliott did last season.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be an Oiler fan, when people are endlessly optimistic about your team despite having spent a decade as the most historically poor team in pro sports. Why are the Flames so routinely subjected to pessimism?
If our team had a decade like the oilers did, it would be another "save the Flames" campaign for years. They were still selling their quota of seasons tickets every year.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #1454
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think the disconnect is you don't understand what a starter's work load is. It's not arbitrary, it's not playing lots of games in a small period of time.

Statistics show that playing at a top starter level for 55+ games (or some number close to that) in a season is completely different than playing at a top starter level for a smaller number of games in a season.

Many, many back ups/prospects can put up strong/elite numbers while playing back up games played within a season. Whether those games are close together or spread apart has nothing to do with anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
No, I understand that.

My subjective opinion was that Raanta looked better than Smith last year. To support that, I provided the only objective stats available - that his numbers overall were better than Lundquist's, and that his numbers didn't dip when he played a heavier workload. And FWIW, Rangers observers agreed that over the course of last season, he was overall the team's better goaltender:

Quote:
Raanta is pretty close to the textbook definition of an ideal back-up goaltender. When he was between the pipes he always gave the Rangers a chance to win. And on some nights last season he looked sharper than the Rangers Hall of Fame-bound goaltender.

There’s no other way to say it: Raanta was the team’s most consistent goalie during the 2016-17 regular season.
Nowhere did I say that I guaranteed that his numbers playing 60 games would be exactly what they were playing 29.

The problem seems to be either (1) people trying to put those words in my mouth, or (2) people taking the position that stats are irrelevant when analyzing the season a #2 goalie had.
Re-visiting a spirited debate from the pre-season regarding Mike Smith and Antti Raanta, I'd like to point out:

Mike Smith - 55gp 2.65gaa 9.16sv%
Antti Raanta - 46gp 2.24gaa 9.30sv%
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #1455
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Re-visiting a spirited debate from the pre-season regarding Mike Smith and Antti Raanta, I'd like to point out:

Mike Smith - 55gp 2.65gaa 9.16sv%
Antti Raanta - 46gp 2.24gaa 9.30sv%
I would still take Mike Smith. He’s a leader.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 10:41 PM   #1456
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Many were singing a different tune halfway through the season with Smith playing like Kipper and Raanta injured.

I do like a player that finishes strong. We haven’t seen much of that around these parts.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:43 PM   #1457
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

When your team has been out of it since Xmas I don’t know that it counts as finishing strong
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #1458
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
When your team has been out of it since Xmas I don’t know that it counts as finishing strong
It does. Considering he was hurt at the start of the year, he deserves credit for his play this year which is not inconsistent with how he played as a backup.

If he was doing this for the Flames we’d be raving about our goaltending going into next year. Hell we are excited about Spencer Foo but 50 games from a goalie doesn’t count. OK.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #1459
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Many were singing a different tune halfway through the season with Smith playing like Kipper and Raanta injured.

I do like a player that finishes strong. We haven’t seen much of that around these parts.
Right... because it's not like Smith went down with a brutal injury in the latter stages of the season or anything.

Who needs context.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:11 PM   #1460
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finishing strong in meaningless games with no pressure is very different than finishing strong with everything on the line.

Last edited by dino7c; 04-05-2018 at 11:43 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote