Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #81
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How do you get the TSA PRE-CHECK add to this? If the boarding pass does not have the TSA stamp on it they will still funnel you through the regular lines in most of the US airports. We fly out of Kahalui a lot and they do not have a NEXUS line.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #82
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
How do you get the TSA PRE-CHECK add to this? If the boarding pass does not have the TSA stamp on it they will still funnel you through the regular lines in most of the US airports. We fly out of Kahalui a lot and they do not have a NEXUS line.
When you book your tickets, US airlines have a spot to add a trusted traveler number. It's in the same spot you are adding your personal info.

Once you add your nexus number to that field, your boarding pass will print out with the TSA Prechek logo, and you are good to go. Remember though, you have to do it at time of booking, and it has to be a US airline.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #83
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks!
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:38 PM   #84
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
So what is the current process of getting a Nexus card? Apply online first, and wait? How long does it typically take?
I just received mine about a month ago. I waited just under 7 months for the interview at YYC, which was a breeze. You have the option of going to the Coutts border crossing for the interview as well, and it was only 2 months.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2016, 12:58 AM   #85
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
When you book your tickets, US airlines have a spot to add a trusted traveler number. It's in the same spot you are adding your personal info.

Once you add your nexus number to that field, your boarding pass will print out with the TSA Prechek logo, and you are good to go. Remember though, you have to do it at time of booking, and it has to be a US airline.
It's not just US Airlines only anymore. Both Air Canada and WestJet are part of the TSA Pre-check program.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #86
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Word of warning. I know someone who didn't pass and his security checks after that got a little more thorough. He wishes he never applied now. Make sure you are confident you will be accepted.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #87
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Do they call about an interview? When I applied it said that you had to check the GOES site for updates, but I assume they contact you in some other way than just updating the site...
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #88
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Do they call about an interview? When I applied it said that you had to check the GOES site for updates, but I assume they contact you in some other way than just updating the site...
My recollection is there was an email saying "you have an update" and then you login to see the update.

A tip for anyone who has Nexus and a new passport (different number than what you originally registered with) you need to get your new number tied to the card, it doesn't happen automagically. Just go to the office and they can sort you out assuming they aren't crazy busy.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #89
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingHomer View Post
Word of warning. I know someone who didn't pass and his security checks after that got a little more thorough. He wishes he never applied now. Make sure you are confident you will be accepted.
Did he say why? Does he have previous convictions.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #90
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
My recollection is there was an email saying "you have an update" and then you login to see the update.

A tip for anyone who has Nexus and a new passport (different number than what you originally registered with) you need to get your new number tied to the card, it doesn't happen automagically. Just go to the office and they can sort you out assuming they aren't crazy busy.
Just curious, I asked someone who had just renewed their passport if the number changed and they said no.

Does the number change every time you renew?
Old 06-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #91
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to go online and update your new passport number and link it to your nexus account.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #92
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Did he say why? Does he have previous convictions.
Actually what happened was he scheduled himself and his wife for back to back interviews. There was a question that they both got which was a bit of a grey area. He answered it one way and she answered it a different way. Because of the natural of the question, they interpreted it as one of them was lying and rejected both of them.
Had they had interviews separated by almost any amount of time they could have collaborated any tricky questions.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #93
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Just curious, I asked someone who had just renewed their passport if the number changed and they said no.

Does the number change every time you renew?
I just updated my passport and it absolutely changed the number. Having said that, updating that on the GOES website afterwards was dead simple. I knew I had to renew soon when I first got my Nexus and they were all very unconcerned - just update the number on the GOES website when you get the new passport and done.

To answer other questions - I applied online for it in July-ish, got my accepted letter in early September and took the next available interview at the Calgary airport location - which was early February. Was a fairly painless, yet lengthy, process.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #94
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-fart View Post
I just updated my passport and it absolutely changed the number. Having said that, updating that on the GOES website afterwards was dead simple. I knew I had to renew soon when I first got my Nexus and they were all very unconcerned - just update the number on the GOES website when you get the new passport and done.

To answer other questions - I applied online for it in July-ish, got my accepted letter in early September and took the next available interview at the Calgary airport location - which was early February. Was a fairly painless, yet lengthy, process.
Good to know because my passport will expire before I am likely to get an interview, in fact I just applied to renew. I don't want my application to get held up because my passport info is different when I show up to my interview. Just to be safe I actually checked the box on my renewal form to have my old one mailed back with the new one.

I also made sure that I used my birth certificate as my confirmation ID for my interview so that the passport isn't an issue.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #95
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually what happened was he scheduled himself and his wife for back to back interviews. There was a question that they both got which was a bit of a grey area. He answered it one way and she answered it a different way. Because of the natural of the question, they interpreted it as one of them was lying and rejected both of them.
Had they had interviews separated by almost any amount of time they could have collaborated any tricky questions.
I just completed my interview about 5 weeks ago and I have no idea what kind of question they could have possibly asked that is a grey area. They took retina scans, fingerprints, and sent us on our way. We didn't get asked one thing that could've been interpreted, or been a grey area question.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #96
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I just completed my interview about 5 weeks ago and I have no idea what kind of question they could have possibly asked that is a grey area. They took retina scans, fingerprints, and sent us on our way. We didn't get asked one thing that could've been interpreted, or been a grey area question.
I just checked and it was something like, Have you ever been in a room where people were using drugs?

The wife said no the husband said yes.

They could have both been right with their answer but the interviewer suspected lying.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:55 AM   #97
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I've read some conflicting information about the questions. Most seem to indicate that you will only get asked questions that are the same as the original application questions.

I did read one site, not sure if reputable, that indicated that they'll ask if you've ever done drugs and if you say yes it is an auto fail. I can't see how that is possible.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #98
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's nothing remotely close to what we were asked. We were certainly not asked about anything to do with drugs.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #99
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I just checked and it was something like, Have you ever been in a room where people were using drugs?

The wife said no the husband said yes.

They could have both been right with their answer but the interviewer suspected lying.
That doesn't make sense. Husbands and wives aren't together 24/7. Unless the husband said, "Yes, I was in the room while my wife took drugs."
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #100
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
That doesn't make sense. Husbands and wives aren't together 24/7. Unless the husband said, "Yes, I was in the room while my wife took drugs."
Well if it is true that they decline anyone who took drugs then I could see them declining both if one answered yes. Guilty by association perhaps, since they'd likely travel together.

I've now found a second source, again just internet hearsay, where someone confirmed that they were told by the agent at their interview that a yes to the drugs questions caused them to fail. It also seems to indicate that only some people get asked. Most report an easy interview process.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 06-04-2016 at 12:51 PM.